GDT: We're Here: Your New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers, 7 PM, ESPN+/Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Graves is probably the worst dman on the team.

A shot being “uncontested” doesn’t necessarily make it more dangerous, especially when the goalie has zero ability to track a puck through traffic. This clown got beat by a weak wrister from the blue line and was saved by the pipe too. Traffic, no traffic, contested, uncontested…he stinks.
An uncontested shot from the circle or in close is always going to be dangerous. I never said no other types of chances are dangerous. Of course other factors are at play. Like who’s doing the shooting. A contested but screened shot could be dangerous too, sure. Lots of different contextual examples. How do the HD analytics account for this?

Bringing up that Blackwood sucks…You’re debating a point that no one is arguing, while ignoring the one that people are.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Haula was fine. He’s a 3rd line player who was asked to fill in for the captain.

Palat isn’t going to become a PP1 30 goal winger. Anyone expecting that is delusional.

He was brought in as a winning veteran and who can play in most situations and not look out of place.

Breaking up the Palat - Hughes - Holtz trio that was clicking in preseason is on, you guessed it, Lindy Fluff.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Haula was fine. He’s a 3rd line player who was asked to fill in for the captain.

Palat isn’t going to become a PP1 30 goal winger. Anyone expecting that is delusional.

He was brought in as a winning veteran and who can play in most situations and not look out of place.

Breaking up the Palat - Hughes - Holtz trio that was clicking in preseason is on, you guessed it, Lindy Fluff.

Bratts minutes and Blackwood starting are almost fireable offenses in and of themselves. I have no idea what he was thinking

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bratts minutes and Blackwood starting are almost fireable offenses in and of themselves. I have no idea what he was thinking
Maybe the thought was to start Vitek at home and get Jack all the extra minutes possible with almost 23 minutes... (22:54)

Seems somewhat reasonable?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Mixing the lines/pairings after keeping them pretty much the same for the whole preseason is also a HUGE head scratcher. How to f*** up the little bit of chemistry they had 101.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I'd normally say the Bratt minutes thing is not as big a deal as is being made out...but in the context of how Ruff has handled him in the past, and the issues with the contract extensions...something seems foul there. Just another question mark about how this organization operates.

Starting Blackwood and jumbling up the lines before the puck was even dropped in game 1 of the season...inexplicable.

But the real ball buster is how lost this f***ing team is as a unit on the ice. They don't play with an NHL level structure at all. The PP still looks lost and ineffective.

The fact that this was pointed to as a concern during his time with Dallas and the Rangers is pretty major red flag that this isn't just a player issue.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
The most maddening thing to me was the PP configuration. Having Tatar over Bratt on PP1 and Palat running it on the half wall are inexcusable - hope that wasn’t Brunette’s genius on display. Bratt and Hughes should be on the flanks, Hamilton up top and Palat in the bumper or net front role. The other spot can go to any of Mercer/Haula/Tatar/Shara (or even Holtz in the bumper role) until Nico gets back. Not exactly rocket science

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The most maddening thing to me was the PP configuration. Having Tatar over Bratt on PP1 and Palat running it on the half wall are inexcusable - hope that wasn’t Brunette’s genius on display. Bratt and Hughes should be on the flanks, Hamilton up top and Palat in the bumper or net front role. The other spot can go to any of Mercer/Haula/Tatar/Shara (or even Holtz in the bumper role) until Nico gets back. Not exactly rocket science
Don’t really have a problem with Tatar there in the role he was playing. Agree that Palat shouldn’t be on the half wall.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
An uncontested shot from the circle or in close is always going to be dangerous. I never said no other types of chances are dangerous. Of course other factors are at play. Like who’s doing the shooting. A contested but screened shot could be dangerous too, sure. Lots of different contextual examples. How do the HD analytics account for this?

Bringing up that Blackwood sucks…You’re debating a point that no one is arguing, while ignoring the one that people are.
Well it’s certainly relevant considering no one would be harping on these super dangerous chances (that happen every game against every team) if they’re stopped at a higher rate than we’ve been getting over the last few seasons.

Obviously every aspect of the team needs to improve if they’re gonna do anything, but consistently giving up at least one softy will land us in the basement again.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014

Our Powerplay is horrific for a few reasons but what drives me insane is the constant holding of the puck and waiting for guys to move around and get open. It needs to be quick passes and knowing where guys are going to be and guys already positioning themselves for a shot. It’s so easy to defend our PP because the guys on the wall just hold the puck and never look to shoot

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I want to see a Siegenthaler and Severson pairing again. And then Bahl and Marino.

Unless they pick it up let Graves and Hamilton stew on the third pair against easier competition where they can fire away all they want and don’t have to worry about playing decent D (they already don’t worry much about this).

As shitty as Smith as I might honestly rather him than Graves.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Graves might be better overall then Bahl right now but at least Bahl seems to know his bread and butter which is crease clearing and sticks with it.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Graves might be better overall then Bahl right now but at least Bahl seems to know his bread and butter which is crease clearing and sticks with it.
There’s is nothing whatsoever that makes Graves better than Bahl right now. Since Bahl got called up last season he’s been better than Graves at every point including in preseason.
Graves is terrible.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Well it’s certainly relevant considering no one would be harping on these super dangerous chances (that happen every game against every team) if they’re stopped at a higher rate than we’ve been getting over the last few seasons.

Obviously every aspect of the team needs to improve if they’re gonna do anything, but consistently giving up at least one softy will land us in the basement again.
But you're ignoring that the Devils allow severely uncontested shots and chances regularly, that the HD analytics seems to be missing. I've given two examples of this now, within the game against the flyers as well as comparing it to the Buffalo-Ottawa game. The eye test over the last couple of years suggests this is what's been happening.

Obviously the goaltending needs to be improved...but consistently giving opposition shooters huge amounts of time and space in the circles and front of the net (among a number of other deficiencies in our own zone) will land us in the basement again.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But you're ignoring that the Devils allow severely uncontested shots and chances regularly, that the HD analytics seems to be missing. I've given two examples of this now, within the game against the flyers as well as comparing it to the Buffalo-Ottawa game. The eye test over the last couple of years suggests this is what's been happening.

Obviously the goaltending needs to be improved...but consistently giving opposition shooters huge amounts of time and space in the circles and front of the net (among a number of other deficiencies in our own zone) will land us in the basement again.
Not even a question. And no goaltending is going to withstand that....None. Give NHL shooters an inch and they can thread the needle...Give them 5 feet and your goalie has no chance.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Our Powerplay is horrific for a few reasons but what drives me insane is the constant holding of the puck and waiting for guys to move around and get open. It needs to be quick passes and knowing where guys are going to be and guys already positioning themselves for a shot. It’s so easy to defend our PP because the guys on the wall just hold the puck and never look to shoot
The Flyers PP last night was more effective at entering the zone and zipping the puck around than the Devils.

Their best guys are Hayes and Konecny.

LOL just crazy shit.

Reactions: Devils090
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad