GDT: Welcome to the Black Parade: WCQF Game 1, (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs (WC1) LA Kings @7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
To me the biggest issue is he didn't go out of his way to hit him in the head. Did he hit him in the head? Yes of course he did. Was it targeted? No. I wouldn't even say it's the primary point of contact. He hits arm/shoulder and continues through the check catching Carrier with his head down. The no hit league is on it's way. Solid body contact with an unfortunate result.
The rule is you, as the hitter, have to avoid hitting an opponent in the head. The NHL Office of Player Safety is trying to change behavior here, not to take hitting out of the game, but to take hitting the head out of the game. It doesn't matter if you target the head or not, the onus is on the hitter to avoid the head. Doughty didn't do that, and the Kings have to pay the price.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The rule is you, as the hitter, have to avoid hitting an opponent in the head. The NHL Office of Player Safety is trying to change behavior here, not to take hitting out of the game, but to take hitting the head out of the game. It doesn't matter if you target the head or not, the onus is on the hitter to avoid the head. Doughty didn't do that, and the Kings have to pay the price.
I am fine with this approach as long as the next time Crosby or Malkin do something similar (and you know they will, especially Malkin), they get the same penalty.

Reactions: yankeeking

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
And on the flipside of that, going for the puck there means you can miss and you actually get burned on the play. Hell, even an effective pokecheck just dislodges the puck...which means another loose puck battle for which Carrier to board Doughty in. No, every level of hockey will teach you to play the body there. Doughty didn't play it perfectly, and here we are, but there is no d-man worth his salt that goes for the puck only there.

Hell, even high-level roller hockey is 'non checking' and they'll tell you to play the body there too.
I never said he had to just poke check. Maybe just make a better hit.

Reactions: KINGS17

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I never said he had to just poke check. Maybe just make a better hit.

Almost no one disagrees with that. But you said "Lidstrom defended mainly by postition and stick work. Head down open ice hits are exciting but are probably the most dangerous play in hockey," so it sounded like you meant he should avoid a hit at all there.

Reactions: LAKings88

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
We are going to see the true character of this club tonight. If they come out, play a hard, effort driven 60 minutes and lose, I'm cool with that, but if they come out and go through the motions to concede defeat, then they might as well pack it in for the season and go f*** off to their off season palatial estates.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Any news who's taking Doughtys spot? Gravel? Maybe MacDermid?

Phaneuf-Martinez
Fantenberg-Folin
Gravel/Mac-LaDue

I'm expecting a big game from Folin tonight.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I am aware of the rule. But in that scenario you might as well remove hitting altogether because I don't see how Doughty could have avoided contact with the head.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I am aware of the rule. But in that scenario you might as well remove hitting altogether because I don't see how Doughty could have avoided contact with the head.
cut a sharper angle to carrier's shoulder, that's exactly what the DoPS outlined in that video series they put out a couple years back. they called it a "drive-by" hit or something similar

he didn't have to go through carrier's chest, he had to go through his shoulder. that onus is on doughty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad