Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Zero points in 14 playoff game this past season. 3 points in 27 career playoff games.

Yeah let's bring in a guy like that, that will turn this thing around.
Its called an example - not saying I would bring him in.

I would prefer him over Palat given their contracts though.

If we buy him out in 2025:

2026: 3.533M dead cap (2.466M savings)
2027: 2.533M dead cap (3.466M savings)
2028: 1.483M dead cap (1.483M penalty)
2029: 1.483M dead cap (1.483M penalty)

If we buy him out in 2026:

2027: 2.7M dead cap (3.3M savings)
2028: 1.65M dead cap (1.65M penalty)

Really not that bad at all.

For reference, Cammalleri's buyout was 1.667M in dead cap for 4 years and Schneider's buyout was 2M in dead cap for 4 years, both with a much lower cap.
Why would we buy him out in 2025 only to have a 2.5M savings the next year? The only year to potentially do this is 2026 and even then its still a relatively large penalty.

If anything you may look to offload the contract in the last year in a trade.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I’m not clear on why people are SO upset with this deal. Evolving Hockey is normally pretty good on salary projections, and they were basically dead on with Palat’s contract.

I’m not a huge fan of this deal: feels like we bought a really nice dining table when still need to do work on our kitchen and baths.

Still, this is market rate for Palat.

And, you’re nuts if you think he is untradeable. If the Devils continue to suck, Palat is pretty quickly one of our top trade chips. The guy has been to four cup finals, won twice, and was a core part of those teams. Maybe the Devils have to retain salary or take back salary, but GMs will want that guy on their team - even in 4-5 years.

I appreciate that Fitz took a swing here even if this deal feels riskier than necessary to me. I would have been happy with Nino - he’ll likely cost less in $$ and term. But maybe Palat pans out? Worst case, the deal likely won’t hurt that bad.
Nobody is trading for someone in their 30s signed long-term. And we aren't trading him in the first couple of years of the deal regardless.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I've warmed up to this signing (I was sour about JH), I think I was underrating Palat.

He's Mr Consistent and was a huge part of the Bolts over the last several years. It's true that the Devils needed someone like this. Hopefully Bratt, Shara and Mercer can learn alot from this guy.

Even better that his contract is structured as is. I'm kind of shocked there was no NTC/NMC.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Nobody is trading for someone in their 30s signed long-term. And we aren't trading him in the first couple of years of the deal regardless.
of course.

the only issues anyone could possibly have with this deal are years 4 and 5.

Would someone trade for Palat for 1 or 2 playoff runs? I think so. Esp if the Devils retain or take back salary. Palat will have value.

Unless he gets injured (which you could say of almost anyone), he should not be hard to move. And, hopefully, he's not someone we want to move.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've warmed up to this signing (I was sour about JH), I think I was underrating Palat.

He's Mr Consistent and was a huge part of the Bolts over the last several years. It's true that the Devils needed someone like this. Hopefully Bratt, Shara and Mercer can learn alot from this guy.

Even better that his contract is structured as is. I'm kind of shocked there was no NTC/NMC.
Perhaps a part of the 'overpay' moneywise...but yes the way the contract was structured makes more sense from a team standpoint and gives me a little more confidence they aren't just gonna go full Fletcher or McPhee with the cap anytime soon.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
We absolutely paid an extra 500k for no clauses. That and the structure make the deal very movable in year 5 and probably movable in year 4, especially to a younger team looking for some vet presence while they suck.

And let's be honest, this is probably only a real issue if we end up good AND he ends up bad, and if that's the case, I'll happily send some draft capital away if necessary.

It's not perfect, but he absolutely fills a need.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Yeah they both know that year 4-5 might be the issue, 2025 offseason will be when he gets dumped if there's a decline. Not as worried but that it does a wrench into it a little bit.
Good luck dumping him... He can easily make it so we can't trade him to a bottom end team. We are stuck with this contract.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Good luck dumping him... He can easily make it so we can't trade him to a bottom end team. We are stuck with this contract.

Yeah, I thought it was just years 1 and 2 from quick glance. He's basically tied here for 3 years. I think capfreindly messed up the write up and meant years 1-3 NMC.

How can it be an NMC from 1-5 and also a NTC 4-5? That can’t be right. Puck Pedia has it different

Maybe they don't know the final 2 years yet? Cause that doesn't make sense to me either rn, lol.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How can it be an NMC from 1-5 and also a NTC 4-5? That can’t be right. Puck Pedia has it different
Fwiw CapFriendly has a similar structure on Hamilton’s deal…a NMC throughout with a modified NTC in the last three years. I guess the NMC is just for waivers/demotions and the NTC is specifically for trades?

Last edited:

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Fwiw CapFriendly has a similar structure on Hamilton’s deal…a NMC throughout with a modified NTC in the last three years. I guess the NMC is just for waivers/demotions when you put a modified NTC with it?
Alright I guess that makes more sense then.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Fwiw CapFriendly has a similar structure on Hamilton’s deal…a NMC throughout with a modified NTC in the last three years. I guess the NMC is just for waivers/demotions and the NTC is specifically for trades?
It could mean he has a full NTC until the last three years, too, at which point it becomes a "no waivers, 10 team NTC." Either interpretation seems valid without more information.

CapFriendly

Mar 13, 2020
Yeah, I thought it was just years 1 and 2 from quick glance. He's basically tied here for 3 years. I think capfreindly messed up the write up and meant years 1-3 NMC.

Maybe they don't know the final 2 years yet? Cause that doesn't make sense to me either rn, lol.

It could mean he has a full NTC until the last three years, too, at which point it becomes a "no waivers, 10 team NTC." Either interpretation seems valid without more information.
To clear this up:

In years 1-3 he has a full NMC, which prevents him from being placed on waivers/loaned, or traded without his consent.

In years 4-5, he has a NMC, which prevents him from being waived/loaned without his consent. The trade portion however is a modified NTC where he specifies 10 teams he can be traded to without his consent.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
By the time the contract gets to where it could be a problem there is at least some ability to trade him. I'm not really worried about the full NMC years.
He submits 10 team trade list in season 4 and 5 so he can just pick teams that have no cap space and then he basically can't be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad