Pre-Game Talk: Week to Start Over (@VAN, @CGY, NYI)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Holtby is only 2 years older and they have a couple great goalie prospects. It is the position they can most afford to lose and keeps them from losing Orlov. They will have to lose somebody. I think Grubauer will be that guy.

Any UFA signed by Vegas in the early window counts as a selection in the expansion draft. Neuvirth/Bishop as two possibilities there.

Or they can move him in a deal for a vet goalie with a pick added and expose that goalie instead.

Comeau would have value to Vegas as a vet... Soda too if you think his issues are more about Bednar. Soda might be a top 2 or 3 center available in the expansion draft.

I doubt Comeau has good reputation around the league.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Or they can move him in a deal for a vet goalie with a pick added and expose that goalie instead.

I doubt Comeau has good reputation around the league.

And lose Orlov and Grubauer for a pick and a vet goalie. For a team trying to compete for a cup, losing a good defensemen and a good backup hurts more than just losing a good backup (where a replacement is just about ready). Dangling Grubauer to not lose Orlov makes more sense than losing both IMO.

Comeau's reputation has rebounded quite a bit.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd take Comeau if I was Vegas assuming Pickard's protected. Yeah Soderberg's better than he has been this season under Bednar's broken system but he's still a risk at that cap hit. Take Comeau who at worse is a decent 4th liner, the guy hustles and brings energy plus some physicality and he's decent enough to play with a good centre.

If they take Comeau then they're really taking Comeau + lots of cap space over taking Varlamov or Soderberg and that cap space is useful for them, they can do what Arizona did and use it to build up their draft picks. The team is after all starting from only 7 draft picks unless they trade, that's a small prospect pool.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
BSN's AJ was talking on the podcast a Vegas scout saying that Vegas is not at all considering Varlamov. Goalies for Vegas out of the draft will probably be Grubauer, Forsberg/Korpisalo plus a starter like Jimmy Howard. Other semi-likely options are Raanta, Ullmark and Brossoit. Small chance to Pickard/Smith...also I find it hilarious that the majority of people using the expansion tool on capfriendly are choosing to protect Mason over Stolarz. If that actually happened Vegas execs will run up and down the streets naked.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
BSN's AJ was talking on the podcast a Vegas scout saying that Vegas is not at all considering Varlamov. Goalies for Vegas out of the draft will probably be Grubauer, Forsberg/Korpisalo plus a starter like Jimmy Howard. Other semi-likely options are Raanta, Ullmark and Brossoit. Small chance to Pickard/Smith...also I find it hilarious that the majority of people using the expansion tool on capfriendly are choosing to protect Mason over Stolarz. If that actually happened Vegas execs will run up and down the streets naked.

I don't see why they would take Jimmy Howard

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

People also think we are going to expose Z.

Vegas might not want Varly but I bet they'd take him and find someone that does. Varly still has some fans around the league.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Iginla and Bourque as the top two RWs. Look at those 3rd and 4th lines, too. Good God that's horrendous.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Two years left on his deal, they need to reach the floor, and he's really turned his game around this year. If Howard was healthy, Mrazek would be sitting on the bench a lot more than he is now.

Maybe, but it's just this year. If Vegas uses only this year as a sample size, by all means but Varlamov has been the superior goaltender for a few years now. Howard also arguably has just as bad of groin issues as Varly does.

Not saying Vegas should take Varly, but I see no reason for them to take Howard, either.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Two years left on his deal, they need to reach the floor, and he's really turned his game around this year. If Howard was healthy, Mrazek would be sitting on the bench a lot more than he is now.

Having used the expansion draft tool, I don't think having to reach the floor is really a problem. But I mean they will take a veteran goalie so maybe it could be him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Reimer/Lou makes the most sense for a temporary starter for Vegas IMO. Salary, but not too high. Term but not that much (I expect Lou to retire early).

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Really like hearing this in 30 Thoughts.

Colorado has told teams not to bother asking about Nathan MacKinnon or 2015 first-rounder Mikko Rantanen. After that, it sounds like the organization is determined not to make a panic move just to mollify everyone. The Avalanche know $17 million comes off the books after the season and they will have flexibility. Right now, cap room is as valuable as diamond ore. The price on Matt Duchene in particular would be pretty high. He’s a centre, he scores and he’s signed to a very reasonable contract. If you’re willing to discuss legit young defencemen or defensive prospects, you’re in the conversation. But teams have been told the price is steep.

I think like most would agree a panic trade would not serve the team well at all so if this is the word out in the media I sure hope it's true.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I'll be at the Flames game.. debating whether or not to save myself the embarrassment and leave the jersey at home.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Month | SF/G | SA/G
October | 28.1 | 30.1
November | 30.8 | 32.2
Dec/Jan | 25.5 | 33.2

The month and a half until trade deadline could get real ugly, now the team seem to have resigned themselves to getting dummied.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

No offense but I really don't put any stock into what BSN reports. I view them more of a blog than people with actual sources.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
No offense but I really don't put any stock into what BSN reports. I view them more of a blog than people with actual sources.

Even when they actually talk to someone in an organization? You or I or anyone can blast them about their opinions but they have press passes which means they get to hang around the scouts which means conversations. That one Vegas scout may not hold the majority opinion but it's interesting to know what the opinions are out there. Pieces of a puzzle if you will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad