Pre-Game Talk: Week to Start Over (@VAN, @CGY, NYI)

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Lol "for those who still care" :laugh:

Good to see duchene get an NHL player back on his line.
New year, new attitude! Lessssssss goooooooo!!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I guess the marching order is to get Iginla a few more points before February.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I almost hate to bring this up, but this 3 game stretch represents the end of the fairly easy part of the schedule.

11 of the 13 games after this stretch include:

3 against Anaheim
2 against SJ
Chicago
Nashville
LA
NYR
Montreal
Pittsburgh

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I almost hate to bring this up, but this 3 game stretch represents the end of the fairly easy part of the schedule.

11 of the 13 games after this stretch include:

3 against Anaheim
2 against SJ
Chicago
Nashville
LA
NYR
Montreal
Pittsburgh

They really are going to set records, aren't they :popcorn:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Duchene is probably hoping the Islanders are taking him home with them.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I've been saying for awhile to move Varly and stick with Pickard, but since Varly went down I've been rethinking that.

Pickard flails around a lot in net and puts himself out of position and he seems to play very small in net (case in point, 3rd goal last night...which was on Barrie's awful pass too but still). If he can't correct these flaws soon I don't see him having a long career in the nhl.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I've been saying for awhile to move Varly and stick with Pickard, but since Varly went down I've been rethinking that.

Pickard flails around a lot in net and puts himself out of position and he seems to play very small in net (case in point, 3rd goal last night...which was on Barrie's awful pass too but still). If he can't correct these flaws soon I don't see him having a long career in the nhl.

To be fair to Picks, he has the leagues worst offense AND defense statistically in front of him. I still think he's a really, really good back-up.

I don't think any goalie in this entire league would do well in Colorado.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I said before the season that Roy's system inflated goalie numbers... I think after a half season we can say that was the case.

One thing that is REALLY hurting Pickard is that the NHL has figured out that his glove hand is crap. Teams are targeting that spot any chance they get and it is in Picks' head now making it worse. The idea of getting rid of Varly is based on the idea that there isn't much difference between the two and the salary could be better allocated. That might still be the case, but the problem is, both might be a chunk below average at this point. Varly and Picks have played poorly, and at this rate, neither is going to be wanted by Vegas. Provided a crazy offer doesn't come in, I say keep both and let them fight it out another season.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I said before the season that Roy's system inflated goalie numbers... I think after a half season we can say that was the case.

One thing that is REALLY hurting Pickard is that the NHL has figured out that his glove hand is crap. Teams are targeting that spot any chance they get and it is in Picks' head now making it worse. The idea of getting rid of Varly is based on the idea that there isn't much difference between the two and the salary could be better allocated. That might still be the case, but the problem is, both might be a chunk below average at this point. Varly and Picks have played poorly, and at this rate, neither is going to be wanted by Vegas. Provided a crazy offer doesn't come in, I say keep both and let them fight it out another season.

But they have to expose one of them, yes? Should that be Varlamov, given the salary?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At this point, I'm not sure it matters. Neither may end up being selected.

This is how I feel. Why would Vegas take either at this point? Grubauer is a better near term goalie of the future compared to Picks, has history with McPhee, and will likely be exposed. Varly is a really expensive contract for his production over the past 3 seasons, and doesn't have a great history with McPhee. Vegas can pick a player like Reimer or Lou (Vegas wouldn't get hit with recapture and Lou probably only plays 2-3 more years) for their short term starter and get similar production for less money while Grubauer is eased into a starter role.

I don't see either being desirable to Vegas. That could change with an awesome second half, but I don't see it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Realistically, which goaltender(s) can Vegas claim? I think Pittsburgh trades Fleury prior to the deadline provided Murray is healthy and if not, they deal him prior to the expansion draft. Bishop is going to UFA, I don't know if he qualifies as a Tampa Bay selection. One of Niemi/Lehtonen sure as hell isn't getting picked. Bernier from Anaheim maybe? One of Mrazek/Howard? One of Reimer/Luongo? Kuemper? One of Mason/Neuvirth?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Somehow I doubt the Caps will just leave Grabauer unprotected.

Holtby is only 2 years older and they have a couple great goalie prospects. It is the position they can most afford to lose and keeps them from losing Orlov. They will have to lose somebody. I think Grubauer will be that guy.

Any UFA signed by Vegas in the early window counts as a selection in the expansion draft. Neuvirth/Bishop as two possibilities there.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Vegas have to draft three goalies. If the buffet of Avs players is just junk, they might figure grabbing Pickard is better than grabbing Comeau, Söderberg or Colborne.

The other teams that have goalies that might be exposed probably also have better skaters exposed and it's better to grab one of those.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Comeau would have value to Vegas as a vet... Soda too if you think his issues are more about Bednar. Soda might be a top 2 or 3 center available in the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad