NFL GDT: Week 5

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Daniel Jones just got paid more money then Dak this off-season.

I'm a hater of Dak, but teams pay QBs.
Cowboys have a big decision to make on him none of his $34 million in 2024 pay is guaranteed. The cap charge if they keep Dak without a new deal is $59.455 million. The cap charge if they cut him or trade him before June 1 is $61.915 million. Personally I think they move on from him especially if he does squat against top teams

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They probably restructure. If it’s not Dak, then who? Kirk Cousins? Trey Lance? Tannehill? Probably not drafting high enough to get someone like Drake Maye. Though, there’s still time there.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
They probably restructure. If it’s not Dak, then who? Kirk Cousins? Trey Lance? Tannehill? Probably not drafting high enough to get someone like Drake Maye. Though, there’s still time there.
The Mullet King is coming home

Reactions: GKJ

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maye is very likely the 2nd guy off the board. Either by the team that holds the #2 pick at the end of the season or a trade up situation. I don't see the team with #2 pick taking Harrison JR or one of the OT at #2 with a high end QB on the board.

Cowboys are good enough to make the PO in the NFC. At that point in the draft, I really don't know how high the likes of Nix, Pennix JR, Ewers, McCarthy, Dart, etc. would go in the draft. I mean, are the Cowboys going to get an upgrade over Dak? Not likely, but if you get Dak level play, but at $4 mill cap charge per year on the rookie deal (as a Reference point, Seattle's JSN at #20 OA has a deal worth $14.5 mill over 4 years). So, if Dallas is drafting in the 20's that is what they would be looking at paying a QB on a rookie contract. Would need it if you are spreading over $62 mill in cap charges in 2024 and 2025 at like $26 and $36 mill respectively in those 2 years.

Restructuring and creating cap space now always sounds great, but you are just pushing that cap charge down the road. Comes a time when you have to pay it off when you move off the player. That $62 mill if they cut Dak represents the cash that they have paid him that has not hit their salary cap yet. His base salary is $29 mill next season. Dallas if they wanted and if Dak was willing, he could convert like $25 mill of that to a bonus and thus add 2 or 3 voidable years and Drop his cap charge next season by like 16 million down to $43 mill. But, if you walk away from him after 2024, that would still leave $52 mill of dead cap to eat. So, the time to pay the piper is approaching for Dallas.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I don’t have much to cheer about as a Vikings fan but this guy certainly is one positive. He’s awesome. He creates separation with ease on his routes.

It’s extremely early and by no means am I comparing him to JJ but they might’ve lucked out again with what teams right ahead of them did just like in that draft. They got the “leftover” who might’ve been over analyzed, didn’t have the best combine, fit issues, etc.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

I have a hard time believing Jerry would be OK with a teardown or bottoming out to rebuild, he is looking to win one more before he takes the express elevator south, so I think Dak will get extended

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have a hard time believing Jerry would be OK with a teardown or bottoming out to rebuild, he is looking to win one more before he takes the express elevator south, so I think Dak will get extended
This is where you draft a QB and hope they give you Dak level play but for under a $5 mill cap charge once you look at pick 20 onwards. That frees up cap room to add another OL and weapon or a o her piece on D with the $30 mill plus in cap savings. Sooner or later than $62 mill that would be dead cap will have to hit the Cowboys salary cap because that is the money they paid to Dak and have not taken a cap charge on.

Purdy looks even extra good cause of his sub $1 mill cap hit. Let’s see in the summer of 2025 when he’s eligible for a new contract extension if the same people hyping him up now are hyping him up for a $40 mill plus per year contract. If he takes closer to a Geno contract then that at least give SF some extra cap to kee or add 1 really good player. By then Williams is probably going to be retired.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You don’t have to full tear down to get a quarterback, in fact doing it makes it more likely everyone else around him is better.

Do what the Bengals did, but win the Super Bowl

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
You don’t have to full tear down to get a quarterback, in fact doing it makes it more likely everyone else around him is better.

Do what the Bengals did, but win the Super Bowl

But can you get one that is good enough to be better than Dak? The chances of another Purdy situation are slim, most of the guys taken before him in 2022 have been underwhelming at best

Are any of the 2021 guys a real upgrade over Dak? Lawrence could be eventually but I would say the jury is still out on him, the rest of the guys are pretty meh other than Fields occasionally flashing brilliance in between games where you wonder if he should try another sport

2020 was loaded with Burrow, and Herbert an upgrade on Dak, Hurts looking like an upgrade over Dak, and Tua I would probably put about level with Dak

2019 has Kyler, Daniel Jones, and then Minshew and Drew Lock, none of those guys are an improvement over Dak

2018 you have Josh Allen who is an upgrade, Lamar who some might consider an upgrade and some might not, and Baker

So in the last 5 drafts you have Allen, Herbert, Burrow, and Hurts who are clear or pretty likely upgrades, Lamar and Lawrence a maybe, then a bunch of guys as good or worse than Dak

So unless you get Caleb it is a crapshoot, you are trading a $20 bill for a $20 scratcher lotto ticket

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Ravens offense is the same as last year, but with more drops. Lamar needs to stop turning the ball over, fumbles, picks, etc..

That game yesterday was winnable, Ravens invested all that money for Lamar not to f*** up like that.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. I forgot to say the Broncos are 1 - 4.

Payton will bench Wilson soon enough, Russ ain’t it and he will probably ask his entourage to send feelers out to teams needing QB help.

The Russell Wilson brand has severely hit trash levels of suck, like it’s not even close.

Let Russ Cook? Naw that was Let Pete Coach…

Reactions: Elvis P

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Pats are 72 - 3 in the last 2 games.

The Patriot Way?! Naw more like Tom Brady dragging these clowns to cushy jobs way. Sorta like how Peyton Manning kept dragging Adam Gase to head coaching jobs cause he was some QB guru in Denver. Now you have Tom Brady be ‘the man’ while his underlings like Josh McDaniels, Bill O’Brien, Matt Patricia, Joe Judge, Charlie Weis, Romeo Crenel, Eric Mangini absolutely bomb when they get head coaching gigs.

Brady has been dragging these guys to jobs while they can’t do shit, also as for Belicheck…this man is on borrowed time. He has not done much since Brady left while Tom has won another chip. Bill needs to stop being a GM and concentrate on being a head coach. But what will that do? The Patriots don’t have much talent like they used too, all those former players go to free agency, get the bag then proceed to play like dog shit (Trent Brown, JC Jackson for example) then come back to the Patriots to play like they used too or try too, f*** Trent Browns fat ass.

Mac Jones is not being coached well, you think Bill O’Brien can turn him around? He should be thanking Tom Brady for giving him a job cause Brady was able to mask O’Briens ‘play calling’.

This Patriot Way ended when Brady left, he was THE PATRIOT WAY. Bills record without Brady at QB is under .500

He should be thanking Tom for the 2 decades.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But can you get one that is good enough to be better than Dak? The chances of another Purdy situation are slim, most of the guys taken before him in 2022 have been underwhelming at best

Are any of the 2021 guys a real upgrade over Dak? Lawrence could be eventually but I would say the jury is still out on him, the rest of the guys are pretty meh other than Fields occasionally flashing brilliance in between games where you wonder if he should try another sport

2020 was loaded with Burrow, and Herbert an upgrade on Dak, Hurts looking like an upgrade over Dak, and Tua I would probably put about level with Dak

2019 has Kyler, Daniel Jones, and then Minshew and Drew Lock, none of those guys are an improvement over Dak

2018 you have Josh Allen who is an upgrade, Lamar who some might consider an upgrade and some might not, and Baker

So in the last 5 drafts you have Allen, Herbert, Burrow, and Hurts who are clear or pretty likely upgrades, Lamar and Lawrence a maybe, then a bunch of guys as good or worse than Dak

So unless you get Caleb it is a crapshoot, you are trading a $20 bill for a $20 scratcher lotto ticket
You have to factor in the salary cap hit for Dak.

He has all of the leverage in a contract restructure. He is going to push for New Money to be added k to the $29 mill of base salary he is due in 2024. Meaning you are going to basically guarantee 2025 salary if it’s say $35 mill or whatever. And you’d be setting it up as mostly a bonus payment.

2024 already has $25.5 mill to hit the cap due to his signing bonus and a prior contract restructure. Another $5 mill of roster bonus due in the first week of the 2024 league year in March. That $5 mill can be redone. So it’s $25.5 mill plus whatever base salary he gets and any prior rated bonus money he is due.

2025 same $25.5 mill cap hit for the SB and prior restructure.

Dak is due $34 mill between base and roster bonus for 2024. If you guarantee another $35 mill for 2025 and set it up as a bonus you are still pushing $50 mill or more of that into. Future years of like 2026 & 2027.

That is where Dallas is right now. Sooner or later they have to take it on the chin with Dak’s cap hit. They pushed a lot into the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad