NCAA: Week 3: After Dark is Prime Time

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Aftermath of the CSU/CU is getting horrendously ugly. Henry Blackburn, the DB that had the late hit against Travis Hunter, has been receiving death threats along with having his personal + family information being doxxed.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Fox considers Noon to be their #1 slot

Made some sense when they were mainly showing the Big Ten as marquee games. People out west gotta start getting primed for Prime before bars even open for a game involving two western teams? C'mon Fox, you know ratings will be double for a night game...you've got 11 days to do the right thing!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Made some sense when they were mainly showing the Big Ten as marquee games. People out west gotta start getting primed for Prime before bars even open for a game involving two western teams? C'mon Fox, you know ratings will be double for a night game...you've got 11 days to do the right thing!
The geographical scale is clearly out the window. Plus you got another Notre Dame game at night next week. This probably is their best ratings play.

The Coach Prime Hype I don’t think will go down even after they lose. This is clearly something that now transcends college football. People want to see this work, or at least want to see what happens, and losing to Oregon and Colorado I don’t think will change that.

I wonder if the networks, specifically CBS and NBC, are rethinking scoffing at the Pac 12 before Colorado bolted. This very obviously would’ve been a different animal.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The line has gone up to 21 for Oregon, so maybe the AP has overrated Colorado ranking them 19, which isn’t unreasonable beating teams from the Pac 12, Big Ten, and MWC, but there’s no indication that people are fooled. The big picture is that people want to watch Coach Prime’s team. They will remain appointment viewing until proven otherwise.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Early AP rankings are strictly for storylines and/or hype

It'll eventually sync up with the CFP rankings

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The geographical scale is clearly out the window. Plus you got another Notre Dame game at night next week. This probably is their best ratings play.

The Coach Prime Hype I don’t think will go down even after they lose. This is clearly something that now transcends college football. People want to see this work, or at least want to see what happens, and losing to Oregon and Colorado I don’t think will change that.

I wonder if the networks, specifically CBS and NBC, are rethinking scoffing at the Pac 12 before Colorado bolted. This very obviously would’ve been a different animal.

To the bolded, exactly. People that don't otherwise care about college football are interested in this, and casual fans are fired right up. I think it was the CU-Nebraska game that drew more betting action than every NFL game combined? This is good-natured lunacy taking place.

I might be talking out of my ass, but is Notre Dame really still a big deal to people born after ~1980? I have a hard time believing a random Irish game against Duke would draw many eyeballs away from Prime right now, other than people who are specifically ND fans. Maybe I'm wrong.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Throw in Tebow and all 3 stories are insignificant in the big picture.

Lol...the big picture of life? Sure, I agree. These are absolutely not insignificant stories within the realm of American football though. People eventually forget who won the championship or made the playoffs as years go by, but they don't forget the big storylines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad