NCAA: Week 3: After Dark is Prime Time

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
To the bolded, exactly. People that don't otherwise care about college football are interested in this, and casual fans are fired right up. I think it was the CU-Nebraska game that drew more betting action than every NFL game combined? This is good-natured lunacy taking place.

I might be talking out of my ass, but is Notre Dame really still a big deal to people born after ~1980? I have a hard time believing a random Irish game against Duke would draw many eyeballs away from Prime right now, other than people who are specifically ND fans. Maybe I'm wrong.
Personally, I’ve got people that have known how long I’ve been watching college football who are talking to me about it that never have before.

People are betting on Colorado games more than NFL games.

This is nothing like we have seen before. And quite frankly, the early hype leading into the season was understated as we’ve come to see. Winning the TCU game helped, but that still was a case where the game delivered on the hype.

Notre Dame, probably not as much, but they do still have a measured gravitas in certain markets, specifically big markets that don’t have or are underserved by college football.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The geographical scale is clearly out the window. Plus you got another Notre Dame game at night next week. This probably is their best ratings play.

The Coach Prime Hype I don’t think will go down even after they lose. This is clearly something that now transcends college football. People want to see this work, or at least want to see what happens, and losing to Oregon and Colorado I don’t think will change that.

I wonder if the networks, specifically CBS and NBC, are rethinking scoffing at the Pac 12 before Colorado bolted. This very obviously would’ve been a different animal.
not if what the rumored counter-offer by the Pac is true. The networks knew they could get Colorado to jump and still have the circus at 60% of the price they were prompted for by the clownshow that was the Pac's head office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad