Pre-Game Talk: WEEK 28: Last Week of Regular Season "The Continued Suck" at Vegas, vs Oil

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
On the bright side, Avs won’t have too many days off between Thursday’s game and game one of the playoffs. Will probably play 2 or 3 days after the last game vs Oilers

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
I don't understand how anyone can watch those 3 games vs. Winnipeg, and still think this. IMO, The Jets are the worst matchup for the Avs out of all 7 other west playoff teams. Bowness absolutely owns Bednar and the Avs. None of those 3 games were really competitive. 6-2, 4-2, and 7-0. I think that series maybe goes 5 games, and more than likely 4 really ugly losses in a sweep. The goaltending matchup alone is enough to think it won't be close.
Should be stickied for the playoffs.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Like you said, your wife points things out, mine does the same damn thing and most of the time she is only half paying attention to the game. If she can point out obvious things
If my wife can figure out how teams defend the Avs, Bednar damn well should as well.
Growing up as a Viking fan (*family is Norwegian and came to America in 1913* began following them when they got into the NFL) I used to marvel at how members of my family that were absolutely clueless about football used to say "just throw it deep to Moss 4 times a quarter" like NFL defenses weren't game planning exactly versus that same thing.

When you two guys say what you just did, it makes me question if you are similarly clueless. You are both advocating that your wives know more about the NHL and hockey than a guy that has won at every level he coached. Why don't you guys sit the next few plays out and think about how ridiculous you sound and how it is reasonable to assume you guys are not worth listening to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceberg

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
My God he’s a JH21 level math wizard managing to get 34094234234234 out of 220 possible unique forward line combinations (of players who can actually be dressed in a game) or 6188 for a full 5 man unit
IMG_2741.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Growing up as a Viking fan (*family is Norwegian and came to America in 1913* began following them when they got into the NFL) I used to marvel at how members of my family that were absolutely clueless about football used to say "just throw it deep to moss 4 times a quarter" like NFL defenses weren't game planning exactly versus that same thing.

When you two guys say what you just did, it makes me question if you are similarly clueless. You are both advocating that your wives know more about the NHL and hockey than a guy that has won at every level he coached. Why don't you guys sit the next few plays out and think about how ridiculous you sound and how it is reasonable to assume you guys are not worth listening to.
ah ... same way my ex became a New Jersey fan

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Only thing I will disagree with is team D. I keep pounding the table on this but the Avalanche defensively are not a bad hockey team.

8th in scoring chances against/60.
12th in high danger chances against/60 (better than Vegas, Winnipeg, Toronto, NYR)
23rd in SV%.

Those are the 5v5 numbers.

It's not a team defense problem.
OK, let's just go with the observation that the decision making on the part of the 1 -2 pair has been terrible of late. Plus, Girard has half stepped backwards from his dominant play of a month ago. And Manson is prone to taking really dumb penalties.

Those 4 take up the majority of the minutes so they need to get back to how they are capable of playing.

Bednar's system does not incorporate a stingy defense. It's high speed puck recovery and transition. And certain teams like Winnipeg know how to take that away.

And the Avs goaltending is horrendous. I don't see a good outcome here.

Bednar is correct about time off doesn't not help a lot of the Avs players.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Rants..... it's the size of the brain inside that big skull that matters, not the size of your head!

If the brain is comparably smaller, it gets shaken around too much.....

However, one can also have an overabundance of cushioning inside that head...... it's commonly referred to as a "lot of cotton between the ears".......

So maybe that's why you were minimally affected........lol

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
There really isn't much you can do... just continue to try to tweak around the core to find the right mix. Clearly a move in net, but beyond that, it wouldn't be major. The core is too old to re-tool around, so you have to simply fire as many rounds as you have and hope you hit.
Well, there is one move they could make to re-tool the roster a bit.

We're not allowed to talk about it though.... ;)

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad