NCAA: Week 14: Although the Pac-12 Have Come / to the End of the Road / Still I Can't Let Go / It's Unnatural / SEC Belongs on CBS / Who Belongs in CFP?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
They should have looked better against the Gators and Louisville and won more convincingly. If they did that, I don't see how they wouldn't have gotten in. Instead they largely looked like shit on offense and had to eek out victories. Texas curbstomped Ok State in Big12Champ game.

I know Ala needed a miracle to beat Auburn, but they proceeded to beat the #1 team en route to SEC Championsihp and looked pretty damn good in the process.

They beat a rival on the road with a backup QB and beat a 10-2 team with a 3rd string QB in the conference championsip. They shouldn't have needed to blow them out. Alabama struggled at full strength against USF but I guess that doesn't matter since it was in September, nor did needing a miracle to beat 6-6 Auburn last week.

This wasn't Liberty or Tulane or SMU, this was an undefeated Power 5 champion who was punished for the best player being hurt. Whether they would beat Michigan or Washington is irrelevant. I won't argue that they would. They might not even with Travis, but they deserve to be there. They basically said resume doesn't matter. I wonder if Georgia won would they keep them out for Texas still? These rankings tell me yes.

Let's be honest this all comes down to money in the end and getting a SEC team in, especially it being Alabama. I don't think Ole Miss leap frogs them with an identical resume.

It's gonna be sad when Georgia beats them in the Orange Bowl cause then you'll get a buncha I told you so people. I think Bama beats Michigan too. But FSU was more deserving and was punished because of an injury which was not fair.

Like someone else said this is a death knell to the ACC, it may take 5 years, but we're headed to the Power 2, 3 at best if the Big 12 can keep up the pace. We're going to 12 teams next year I know but we just know they'll find away to get less deserving 3 los SEC team in over say a 10-2 Louisville or UNC or whoever in the future.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The PAC-12 doesn’t exist anymore literally only because a “west conference” doesn’t get any ratings with all their games on at 10:30pm EST. You’re describing what conferences used to look like except it was southeast, east, midwest, Texas and surrounding area, and then the west.

That doesn’t exist anymore because the sec decided they were going to rig votes so that they always had somebody in and ideally only them. That problem persists.
They didn’t have ‘all their games’ played After Dark. Their biggest games hardly ever were if ever at all.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
They beat a rival on the road with a backup QB and beat a 10-2 team with a 3rd string QB in the conference championsip. They shouldn't have needed to blow them out. Alabama struggled at full strength against USF but I guess that doesn't matter since it was in September, nor did needing a miracle to beat 6-6 Auburn last week.

This was Liberty or Tulane or SMU, this was an undefeated Power 5 champion who was punished for the best player being hurt. Whether they would beat Michigan or Washington is irrelevant. I won't argue that they would. They might not even with Travis, but they deserve to be there. They basically said resume doesn't matter. I wonder if Georgia won would they keep them out for Texas still? These rankings tell me yes.

Let's be honest this all comes down to money in the end and getting a SEC team in, especially it being Alabama. I don't think Ole Miss leap frogs them with an identical resume.

It's gonna be sad when Georgia beats them in the Orange Bowl cause then you'll get a buncha I told you so people. I think Bama beats Michigan too. But FSU was more deserving and was punished because of an injury which was not fair.

Like someone else said this is a death knell to the ACC, it may take 5 years, but we're headed to the Power 2, 3 at best if the Big 12 can keep up the pace. We're going to 12 teams next year I know but we just know they'll find away to get less deserving 3 los SEC team in over say a 10-2 Louisville or UNC or whoever in the future.
Exactly. The 4 "best teams" argument has ZERO credibility. If that were the case, Georgia makes the top 4, as they'd be surefire favorites against Michigan, Washington, and Texas. If it truly were about the 4 best teams the way to do that is let Vegas decide them.

Anyone who thinks the better team always wins and the best team is always the champion at the end knows nothing about sports. Teams aren't always playing at 100% of their capability, and there's randomness that occurs in games. Not to mention how specific team matchups can affect how a game between them goes.

In 2002, the Western Conference Finals for both the NHL and NBA involved the 2 best teams in each league those season (Lakers/Kings and Wings/Avs), which both went game 7 and were considered the de facto final. But nobody argued for a rematch in the finals, despite them being the 2 "best teams." Everyone knew the Canes and Nets didn't stand a chance, but the champion is suppose to be decided on the field, ice, or court, not by these committees. In 2007, the Patriots were clearly the best team in the NFL. Yet what counts is the Giants beating them on the field.

I can say with near certainty that FSU isn't one of the 4 best teams. But based on what they accomplished on the field compared to everyone else, they are one of the 4 who earned their spot.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
The biggest issue is the committee never followed their rule of 4 best teams up until this year. This was the first year they followed the rule of what they thought was the 4 best teams. But that's the rule they have.

It's never been about deserving but the committee has always done that for the most part.

Also ACC would be stupid to blow it up. They get an auto bid if someone wins the conference. They should've tried better schools then f***ing Cal and Stanford in their conference. I know it's not only for football but CAL???

Stanford is at least good at WBB, Olympics sports and mens baseball. Cal is good at.............

Reactions: Voight and LT

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The biggest issue is the committee never followed their rule of 4 best teams up until this year. This was the first year they followed the rule of what they thought was the 4 best teams. But that's the rule they have.

It's never been about deserving but the committee has always done that for the most part.

Also ACC would be stupid to blow it up. They get an auto bid if someone wins the conference. They should've tried better schools then f***ing Cal and Stanford in their conference. I know it's not only for football but CAL???

Stanford is at least good at WBB, Olympics sports and mens baseball. Cal is good at.............

The ACC wont blow it up. Their main prestige is in basketball anyways, with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia, Louisville. Losing FSU and Clemson for example would hurt the football side considerably but not a big blow to the basketball side.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I feel bad for FSU. I really do.

But we knew this was going to happen as soon as Travis went down. May have even happened if he was healthy, but his injury sealed their fate.

It sucks. But it was expected.

Has A&M ever done anything, ever? Like, ever.

Not since FDR was president

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
The ACC wont blow it up. Their main prestige is in basketball anyways, with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia, Louisville. Losing FSU and Clemson for example would hurt the football side considerably but not a big blow to the basketball side.
But the Money is football. And If FSU leaves Clemson will and so will UNC...
It's a cascade failure.
And once the Grant of Rights isn't solid it all tumbles down.
If it weren't for the GoR this summer FSU would have been out already

Last edited:
Reactions: keonsbitterness

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I feel bad for FSU. I really do.

But we knew this was going to happen as soon as Travis went down. May have even happened if he was healthy, but his injury sealed their fate.

It sucks. But it was expected.

Not since FDR was president

How did anyone know this was gonna happen? It's literally never happened before till this season.

I also feel like all the hate is on Alabama when Texas should be getting just as much or even more. They beat Alabama so the committee had to put them in if they wanted Alabama in. But outside the Alabama win the other victories aren't as impressive as FSU's. So yes the Alabama win is the best win of the two but they also have a loss which FSU doesn't. So it's weird that the committee favors who you beat more than if you have a loss.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
How did anyone know this was gonna happen? It's literally never happened before till this season.

I also feel like all the hate is on Alabama when Texas should be getting just as much or even more. They beat Alabama so the committee had to put them in if they wanted Alabama in. But outside the Alabama win the other victories aren't as impressive as FSU's. So yes the Alabama win is the best win of the two but they also have a loss which FSU doesn't. So it's weird that the committee favors who you beat more than if you have a loss.
That's what's so stupid about all this.

If UGA wins Saturday, FSU is definitely #4. The committee would not have had Texas ahead of FSU, you'd have four 13-0 teams in.

Whole thing is such a sham.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Just seemed like the CFP was going to do everything in their power to ensure Bama had a chance to win. Maybe if Georgia beats them FSU makes it in, but I don't know, just feel like they'd still find a way to include Bama and screw over someone else in the process.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just seemed like the CFP was going to do everything in their power to ensure Bama had a chance to win. Maybe if Georgia beats them FSU makes it in, but I don't know, just feel like they'd still find a way to include Bama and screw over someone else in the process.

If the committee wanted Bama in they should have had them at 5 or 6 not 8. Having them jump 2 teams that didn't lose as well as the back to back national champions who haven't lost in over 2 years. Bama got credit for losing to Texas but Georgia didn't get credit to losing to Bama. And Ohio state didn't get credit for losing to Michigan. Of all those loses Bama at home by 10 is actually the worst lose. Texas losing to Oklahoma is a better loss.

I wonder what would have happened if Oregon had beaten Washington? Would it have been Michigan-FSU-Texas-Bama? With Oregon getting screwed? Would they do Michigan-Texas-Bama-Oregon? And still screw FSU? Seemed like once Bama won they needed them in an couldn't leave Texas out who beat them in Tuscaloosa.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I have a question.

How good do we think Kirby Smart is?

Like is he top 2 or top 3 or where do you rank him?

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I wonder what would have happened if Oregon had beaten Washington? Would it have been Michigan-FSU-Texas-Bama? With Oregon getting screwed? Would they do Michigan-Texas-Bama-Oregon? And still screw FSU? Seemed like once Bama won they needed them in an couldn't leave Texas out who beat them in Tuscaloosa.
The first scenario is what I think they'd do. I was telling all my Duck fan friends that even if they beat us, they might not make the CFP. For a one loss team, only one in the SEC, especially Bama, could get in while screwing over an undefeated ACC team, especially the one with the brand of FSU. They wouldn't sacrifice an undefeated FSU for a team from the PAC 12. And while I think the CFPC liked Oregon more than Texas in a vacuum, the Horns H2H win over the Tide mandated they'd be in if the Tide were too. Entering the weekend, my stance was only the undefeated teams were in a win and you're in position (boy do I wish I was right about FSU in this case).

It was nice being able to go to bed on Friday night knowing the Huskies were in the CFP no matter what, and being pretty relaxed while watching the rest of the games on Saturday.

Reactions: sigma six

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Ducks would’ve gotten in over Texas if Bana didn’t beat Georgia. Committee liked Oregon more than Texas all year

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ducks would’ve gotten in over Texas if Bana didn’t beat Georgia. Committee liked Oregon more than Texas all year

But would they have gotten in had Bama beat Georgia like they did? I can't see the committee going Michigan-FSU-Oregon-Bama. The committee took the easy way out by leaving a less vocal fan base, FSU, over two of the most vocal ones, Bama and Texas. If you take Bama and not Texas you wouldn't hear the end of it and if you left out Bama plus the SEC champ you definitely wouldn't hear the end of it. The committee felt like they could sweep the FSU fanbase hate under the rug and they pretty much have already. The big name TV and radio personalities carried the water for ESPN so the blowback was minimal, if it was one of the other two it wouldn't have died out so quick.

Reactions: Tryamw

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Looks like FSU might jump into the B1G... NOT unexpected that they would want to leave the ACC considering how the committee treated them. Meeting end of Jan likely a bloody day. (For the ACC)

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Looks like FSU might jump into the B1G... NOT unexpected that they would want to leave the ACC considering how the committee treated them. Meeting end of Jan likely a bloody day. (For the ACC)

Where’d you see this at?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Does the SEC just not want FSU? I don't get why that wouldn't be their first choice.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Last edited:
Reactions: End of Line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad