NCAA: Week 14: Although the Pac-12 Have Come / to the End of the Road / Still I Can't Let Go / It's Unnatural / SEC Belongs on CBS / Who Belongs in CFP?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don’t even think A&M is a top 7 brand in the SEC.

This actually isn’t a hater post… it’s just what do we consider brand? Because if anything Oregon is a bigger brand

I read a Sport Illustrated and USA today article that had them at 7th. Ohio state was 1 and Texas two. Believe there was no Notre Dame, which surprised me, and Penn state was in the top 10.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I read a Sport Illustrated and USA today article that had them at 7th. Ohio state was 1 and Texas two. Believe there was no Notre Dame, which surprised me, and Penn state was in the top 10.

I was going by who generates the most revenue. Obviously A&M hasn't done anything on the field in some time but they make money. More than most teams even if it doesn't carry the same weight as the others. If they could figure it out on the field they'd be top 5 and have some merit behind it.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I'm bitterly disappointed the committee left out 2023 SEC champions New Mexico State.
If Florida State had any gumption they’d refuse to play the bowl game
FSU should copy UCF and claim a national title if they beat Georgia.
if you had to omit one of the 4 it would probably be Washington.
From arguably the best conference this year? No way!
Not sure it will truly fall. But it will become the unofficial bridge between the P2 and G5 conferences.

Next stop for the ACC is becoming the FBS Ivy League because once anyone of ability and value leaves (ie: FSU, Clemson, and UNC) the other schools that bring any kind of eyeballs are going to be on their way out as well. UVA probably to the B1G, VT, NCSU, Pitt, and probably Louisville to the Big 12. B1G might take Miami and either Duke or (if they'll finally agree) Notre Dame as well.
Something like that is likely. The Big 12 realized after OU and UT left that it needed to position itself to be the most important conference after the Big 10 and SEC. In less than a year, the Big 12 outmaneuvered the ACC and the (soon-to-be-dead) PAC to move from #5 to #3.

Reactions: DaveG

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yeah that was the worst of the BCS era. Not only did the Seminoles get screwed worse than the Cowboys, but it was more shocking too from the politics side of it. Oklahoma State isn't the biggest brand so they got away with it, but Florida State is probably a top 10 brand in CFB, so I never thought they'd screw them like this.

Yeah you'd expect maybe a UNC or Louisville to get dicked like that, but figured FSU (and the U) had enough clout to avoid such treatment. Guess not. 2 teams, 4 teams, or 12 teams, the "playoff" is really the Alabama Invitational, and has been for a long time.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
There was a lengthy stretch during the 90's and 2000's where Washington did themselves no favors on the brand prestige / recognition front. The Lambright and Willingham eras were nothing short of disastrous, with the Neuheisel years in-between being merely acceptable.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
I think the ACC shot themselves in the foot first when the schools they nabbed from realignment were Cal, Stanford, and SMU :laugh:
stanford was power house not longago cauing oregon problems every year if they could ever get back to that stanford can be a big brand.

Reactions: Elvis P

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
1701721536946.png

1701721656381.png

• Wow
Reactions: Konnan511

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
McCord seems like he would be a great fit for a lot of the middle of the pack ACC teams. I could also see him pulling a Cade McNamara and ending up at a lesser B10 school.

Reactions: Elvis P

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I hear or read all the time about Stanford's current AD not emphasizing or even valuing football as a revenue stream. Obviously, they have very high admission standards at Stanford, but their AD has made cuts (or at least to try to) to the funding of many of their sports. Not that I personally think that it is wrong in any way (academics come first), but I don't believe that they will ever be competitive in football.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
If Texas hypothetically plays for the national title. They will have played 15 games this year. 3 outside of the state Texas.

New Orleans
Tuscaloosa
Ames

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Yeah you'd expect maybe a UNC or Louisville to get dicked like that, but figured FSU (and the U) had enough clout to avoid such treatment. Guess not. 2 teams, 4 teams, or 12 teams, the "playoff" is really the Alabama Invitational, and has been for a long time.
The SEC invitational was finally put in a scenario where they couldn't keep up the pretense of being the CFP. They had to squash all pretenses and blow their cover the moment it would've led to the SEC being left out.

If not for the expansion to 12 next season and the massive conference shuffling, I wouldn't blame the other conferences for boycotting playing the SEC. Cause if a brand with the clout of FSU can get screwed like this to prop up the SEC, truly nobody outside the SEC is safe.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The SEC invitational was finally put in a scenario where they couldn't keep up the pretense of being the CFP. They had to squash all pretenses and blow their cover the moment it would've led to the SEC being left out.

If not for the expansion to 12 next season and the massive conference shuffling, I wouldn't blame the other conferences for boycotting playing the SEC. Cause if a brand with the clout of FSU can get screwed like this to prop up the SEC, truly nobody outside the SEC is safe.
A bunch of them gonna be in the SEC (or Big Ten) before long. The ACC is gonna be put out to pasture after this.

Reactions: Voight

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
A bunch of them gonna be in the SEC (or Big Ten) before long. The ACC is gonna be put out to pasture after this.
Yeah that's why this won't happen. In fact a part of me thinks they also did this because they don't have to worry about the terrible precedent for how much is changing next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad