NCAA: Week 13: Harbaughs and McCords

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
While I think you are right keeping a 12-1 Oregon out with its only loss being a close road game at a top 10 team in which they arguably were the better team over a fellow 1 loss team non-Conference Champ and a undefeated but team with a massive injury and butter soft schedule would be brutal.

It would show that it has nothing to do with getting the best teams in the play-off and just satisfying the conferences, which, along with making the most money, it likely is really about.
What rhe real comedy show will be is if Bama beats UGA, and the committee invariably puts UGA in over possibly 12-1 conference champs Oregon and Texas, how they defend that decision(basically saying conference titles only mean something if it fits their agenda).

Reactions: MM917

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
What rhe real comedy show will be is if Bama beats UGA, and the committee invariably puts UGA in over possibly 12-1 conference champs Oregon and Texas, how they defend that decision(basically saying conference titles only mean something if it fits their agenda).
It'd be honest from the committee at least

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I see Georgia and Michigan as 99% locks. Barring some kind of huge blowout loss, Michigan already won a de-facto playoff game and the committee will do everything possible to make a Georgia three-peat possible.

Pac-12 winner is 100% in.

So there's one spot left for the group of ut, Florida State and Bama. If FSU goes 13-0, it'll be very very difficult to leave them out. Bama is win and in, lose and out. Texas needs to win, plus an FSU loss. They are probably in the worst shape of the 6 contenders. They also have the most "trap" style conference championship game (FSU has one too).

Oddest scenario is if Bama FSU and ut all win. ut should stay ahead of Bama, and this is the only scenario where I can see Georgia missing. But if the SEC champ game is close, it again will be hard to ignore what Georgia has done.

Pac-12 loser and ohio st are already eliminated.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I see Georgia and Michigan as 99% locks. Barring some kind of huge blowout loss, Michigan already won a de-facto playoff game and the committee will do everything possible to make a Georgia three-peat possible.

So there's one spot left for the group of ut, Florida State and Bama. If FSU goes 13-0, it'll be very very difficult to leave them out. Bama is win and in, lose and out. Texas needs to win, plus a Bama win and an FSU loss. They are probably in the worst shape of the 6 contenders. They also have the most "trap" style conference championship game (FSU has one too).

If Washington, Georgia, Michigan win Texas and FSU lose, you don't think that OSU could get in?

That leaves Texas, Bama, Oregon all with 2 losses. FSU would only have the one loss but with no Travis are you putting them in over OSU?

Same scenario if Washington, Texas, FSU, Alabama all lose who are you putting in over Washington in that case?

Maybe I am missing some obvious answer. LOL

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If Washington, Georgia, Michigan win Texas and FSU lose, you don't think that OSU could get in?

That leaves Texas, Bama, Oregon all with 2 losses. FSU would only have the one loss but with no Travis are you putting them in over OSU?

Same scenario if Washington, Texas, FSU, Alabama all lose who are you putting in over Washington in that case?

Maybe I am missing some obvious answer. LOL
Yeah, while very unlikely compared to.last year when OSU only needed USC to lose in order to back in, they need 4 games to go their way this year imo. Even then, they wouldn't be 100% in.

Reactions: MM917

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I think it will be very easy, Georgia, Michigan and FSU will all win to make it easy for them to get in. Then you add in the winner of the PAC 12 and done.

The permutations are fun but I think in the end it will be an easy 4 choices with anyone out not really having much of a case outside of maybe Washington losing in a super tight game.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

So there's one spot left for the group of ut, Florida State and Bama. If FSU goes 13-0, it'll be very very difficult to leave them out. Bama is win and in, lose and out. Texas needs to win, plus an FSU loss. They are probably in the worst shape of the 6 contenders. They also have the most "trap" style conference championship game (FSU has one too).

Oddest scenario is if Bama FSU and ut all win. ut should stay ahead of Bama, and this is the only scenario where I can see Georgia missing. But if the SEC champ game is close, it again will be hard to ignore what Georgia has done.

If Oregon wins, they'll feel much better on Saturday if they see UGA and/or Louisville win. Until then, I wouldn't feel 100% confident as a Ducks fan. If Washington wins Friday night, then they can rest easy on Saturday.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I think it will be very easy, Georgia, Michigan and FSU will all win to make it easy for them to get in. Then you add in the winner of the PAC 12 and done.

The permutations are fun but I think in the end it will be an easy 4 choices with anyone out not really having much of a case outside of maybe Washington losing in a super tight game.
While I think Georgia and Michigan will take care of business, you can never count out Saban and Bama. The team most likely to fall is FSU, as although Louisville isn't amazing, FSU's offense looks rough without Travis. I still think they win the ACC, but Louisville winning would not be that stunning imo.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
How about these rankings (based on all teams both winning and losing):

1. Georgia (13-0)
2. Michigan (13-0)
3. Washington (13-0)
4/5/6/7 FSU (13-0)/Alabama (12-1)/Georgia (12-1)/Oregon (12-1)

8. Texas (12-1)
9. Michigan (12-1)
10/11 OSU (11-1)/Washington (12-1)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
While I think you are right keeping a 12-1 Oregon out with its only loss being a close road game at a top 10 team in which they arguably were the better team over a fellow 1 loss team non-Conference Champ and a undefeated but team with a massive injury and butter soft schedule would be brutal.

It would show that it has nothing to do with getting the best teams in the play-off and just satisfying the conferences, which, along with making the most money, it likely is really about.

A butter soft schedule that has a tougher SOS than Georgia and Oregon (according to ESPN's formula)

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
He would never ascribe to the dissolution of the Pac 12

Maybe if there was some way to bring in more schools into the system, are there any in western Canada that can be absorbed? Or maybe Mexico?

Tijuana Tech would be a natural rival for Arizona State, and Vancouver A & I would be perfect for Washington St

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
A butter soft schedule that has a tougher SOS than Georgia and Oregon (according to ESPN's formula)

Shows why those formulas are dumb.

Who is the best team they played? A 9-3 LSU team? 8-4 Clemson? Duke with its injured QB?

Oregon facing Washington twice blows that schedule out of the water on those games alone.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Georgia is in win or lose, right? Michigan's not going to lose to Iowa. So there's two.

Bama if they win is in, lose is out

Pac-12 winner is in - if it's Washington, Oregon is out.

FSU win and in, lose and out.

UT/OSU/Washington (if they lose) need help (which would come from Georgia and Louisville wins - UT and OSU helped by a Washington win too) but could still get in

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
It's relatively straight forward.

FSU wins and they are in.

Whoever wins the pac12 title game is in.
Texas is in if they beat OSU and FSU loses.

The only thing that could make chaos is if Iowa or Alabama wins. Everything else is straight forward. If

Ohio State only factors in if Washington, Texas, FSU, Alabama all lose.

We also need to stop calling other teams SOS soft as butter. Every metric and stat reported from multiple websites I believe has Oregon as the worst SOS of all the playoff contenders.

Actually on second thought committee may do some f***ery if Oregon beats Washington and Alabama beats Georgia when it comes to the pac 12.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

The only thing that could make chaos is if Iowa or Alabama wins. Everything else is straight forward. If

We also need to stop calling other teams SOS soft as butter. Every metric and stat reported from multiple websites I believe has Oregon as the worst SOS of all the playoff contenders.

Actually on second thought committee may do some f***ery if Oregon beats Washington and Alabama beats Georgia when it comes to the pac 12.
The way I see it, the Heisman winner ain’t getting left out. And if Oregon wins, that’s going to be Bo Nix.

Reactions: LT

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
The way I see it, the Heisman winner ain’t getting left out. And if Oregon wins, that’s going to be Bo Nix.
I don't think they do either. But Alabama beating Georgia is going to make for something dumb to happen

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

Ohio St. needs a Washington win, not loss, to factor in. Pac 12 winner imo is only a lock if it's Washington, as a.Bama win could(although it shouldn't) keep Oregon out in favor of a 12-1 UGA.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Man, playoffs would be incredibly fun and I’d be bummed if we don’t make it. But please just win the big 12 title

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Shows why those formulas are dumb.

Who is the best team they played? A 9-3 LSU team? 8-4 Clemson? Duke with its injured QB?

Oregon facing Washington twice blows that schedule out of the water on those games alone.
You do realize Duke's QB was hurt on their last offensive play of that game..
and Georgia's OoC schedule UT Martin , UAB , Georgia tech, and noted football powerhouse Ball state.
FSU, Comparatively: LSU, Florida, southern Miss, and noted powerhouse North Alabama
Oregon : Portland St, Texas Tech, and Hawaii
Look FSU has their issues.. and losing their QB hurts.. but they AT least scheduled TEAMS to play in OoC... And not Mercers (sorry Mercer fans)

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You do realize Duke's QB was hurt on their last offensive play of that game..
and Georgia's OoC schedule UT Martin , UAB , Georgia tech, and noted football powerhouse Ball state.
FSU, Comparatively: LSU, Florida, southern Miss, and noted powerhouse North Alabama
Oregon : Portland St, Texas Tech, and Hawaii
Look FSU has their issues.. and losing their QB hurts.. but they AT least scheduled TEAMS to play in OoC... And not Mercers (sorry Mercer fans)

No he wasn't he was playing hurt all game and left the game early in the 2nd half. He was hurt on the last play of the ND game.

Georgia doesn't have a great schedule either but have shown in the past their quality and handled the teams they have played with ease.

And all that you write does nothing to counter Oregon playing Washington twice, name one team close to that the Seminoles have played? Nobody, nobody remotely close to that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad