NCAA: Week 1: Big Noon is Prime Time

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Labor Day weekend is here, and that means we are starting the college football season for real. First full slate of games, all weekend long. At long last. The road to the College Football Playoff begins with the National Championship Game in Houston on January 8.

Things begin on Thursday. #14 Utah hosts (!) Florida (!!) as they look to avenge the tough loss they had in Gainsville last year, as favorites, that took them out of the college football playoff mix early, though they rebounded to be Pac 12 Champions. 8pm on ESPN.

Matt Rhule makes his debut as Nebraska head coach in Minnesota, on Fox, in another 8pm start. Will the Blackshirts finally be back? Probably not, the Gophers are favored.

Not much serious on Friday. Michigan State hosts Central Michigan on FS1, and the battle of Miamis takes place as Miami (OH) visits Miami (FL) on ACC Network. Louisville and Georgia Tech do battle in Atlanta, and we have an After Dark as Stanford visits Hawaii.

Saturday we finally got real shit.

Other than realignment taking up and sucking out all the air this summer, the talk of the College Football off-season was made in Boulder when Colorado hired Deion Sanders away from Jackson State, and then proceeded to turf the entire roster in favor of a team entirely put together through the transfer portal (which includes his son playing quarterback). Big Noon has decided to show up in Fort Worth for the debut, where Colorado visits last year's CFP runner up #17 TCU. TCU had to sit all year long after enduring the biggest unholy shitkicking we've ever seen in a postseason game when they lost the National Championship Game to Georgia 65-7. The hype around Prime is palpable since Colorado plays their first two games on Big Noon. Can Prime change everything and bring Colorado and perhaps the Big 12 out of the wilderness? Fox has one of the best hype commercials I've ever seen, naturally I can't find good video of it.

But that's not all! "The Bear" Chris Fallica makes his own debut for the Big Noon kickoff. Replacing him on ESPN College Game Day will be Stanford Steve, both kickoff shows will have your betting fix, and we can only hope someone keeps track of who the better bettor is all season.

2-time defending national champion Georgia begins the season at #1, having controversially had their deal with Oklahoma turfed by the SEC, instead open vs. FCS UT-Martin, which means they are an SEC Network start at 6pm.

CBS debuts their Big Ten package with #3 Ohio State visiting Indiana as the feature mid-afternoon game. They also have Texas Tech @ Wyoming as I guess they try to raise the profile of the Mountain West with the Pac 12 in shambles.

NBC debuts their Big Ten Saturday Night package on the back end of a doubleheader. #13 Notre Dame hosts FCS Tennessee State. #7 Penn State hosts West Virginia at night to debut the package.

ABC opens with Virginia @ #12 Tennessee early, Boise State @ #10 Washington in the middle window, and #21 North Carolina vs. South Carolina in Charlotte in prime time. The main After Dark game is on ESPN as Coastal Carolina visits UCLA.

But this is Labor Day weekend, which means we're going into Sunday and Monday.

CBS has 2 games on Sunday. For some reason, Rutgers will be featured hosting Northwestern at noon. I guess every team has to be featured, but it doesn't mean we have to watch it.

The Beavs open the season ranked #18! Following a nice comeback season, former #1 QB recruit DJ Uiagalelei is through the transfer portal as the starting QB. Oregon State has been a trendy pick in the Pac 12, which unfortunately probably means too much money is in on them and they're only gonna go like 8-4 or something and be third in the division. They also begin on the road in San Jose State who covered last week in USC.

The Big One on the weekend is actually Sunday night on ABC. The only matchup of AP ranked teams is actually a top 10 matchup. #5 LSU and #8 Florida State will rematch the absurd game the had last year on ABC, in prime time, in Orlando.

Labor Day weekend wraps up with #9 Clemson @ Duke on ESPN at 8pm.

Enjoy college football, folks. Before it implodes upon itself.

Last edited:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Big Noon isn't primetime. 7-Midnight is. I hope Michigan and OSU realize that and let NBC air their game at night starting next season.

BTW, last season's CFP title game has to be the lowest-rated ever in the CFP era because it was such a blowout, those tend to have low ratings compared to thrillers.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Big Noon isn't primetime. 7-Midnight is. I hope Michigan and OSU realize that and let NBC air their game at night starting next season.

BTW, last season's CFP title game has to be the lowest-rated ever in the CFP era because it was such a blowout, those tend to have low ratings compared to thrillers.

But the title game was in prime time. How on earth is that possible???????

Reactions: End of Line

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

1693471982005.gif

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
@LT wanted to carry on the convo here. I think if A&M has an 8 win or less season. They would come up with the buyout for Jimbo especially with Texas and OU going to the SEC next year.

It's just if A&M goes the smart way and hires Traylor or Joey Mac or if they go crazy and go after Urban.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
@LT wanted to carry on the convo here. I think if A&M has an 8 win or less season. They would come up with the buyout for Jimbo especially with Texas and OU going to the SEC next year.

It's just if A&M goes the smart way and hires Traylor or Joey Mac or if they go crazy and go after Urban.

My crazy theory is A&M will wait to buyout Jimbo until they can poach Deion Sanders.

A&M has always wanted their brand to be huge. They love nothing more than dominating the headlines. If Deion has P5 success, I can absolutely see them backing the money truck up to him.

I think Urban Meyer is done coaching period.

Reactions: Tony Romo

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
My crazy theory is A&M will wait to buyout Jimbo until they can poach Deion Sanders.

A&M has always wanted their brand to be huge. They love nothing more than dominating the headlines. If Deion has P5 success, I can absolutely see them backing the money truck up to him.

I think Urban Meyer is done coaching period.
If A&M poaches Deion Sanders I'm going to move in with @Tony Romo and we will spend all day burning everything A&M in effigy.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If A&M poaches Deion Sanders I'm going to move in with @Tony Romo and we will spend all day burning everything A&M in effigy.

Honestly I might join you.

We have a legit villainous cast of coaches right now. And at the academic level, the university is in a ridiculous amount of turmoil (the College of Engineering basically just failed a coup of university leadership). Not a great time to be an A&M alum/fan.

• Wow
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Honestly I might join you.

We have a legit villainous cast of coaches right now. And at the academic level, the university is in a ridiculous amount of turmoil (the College of Engineering basically just failed a coup of university leadership). Not a great time to be an A&M alum/fan.
giphy.gif

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m really curious to see if this works with Prime, and I hope it does. If he sticks it out there, it really could change the course of college football and establish the Big 12 on equal ground with the Big Ten and SEC, and Colorado as a blueblood power

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If Deion does well, I can't imagine a blue blood won't pony up the money to poach him as well as provide him with virtually unlimited resources.

I don't see a world where he stays in Boulder long-term. His coaching potential is too boom-or-bust.

Reactions: DaveG

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
They'll walk into the SEC title game relatively unfazed, but I don't think they 3 peat
Yes, they should be 12-0. Based on their reputation if that is the case and they lose to the West winner they will make the playoff again. So just being in the top 4 gives them a shot. They may have a few tricky games like they did last year but in reality the only one that should be is in Knoxville.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I’m really curious to see if this works with Prime, and I hope it does. If he sticks it out there, it really could change the course of college football and establish the Big 12 on equal ground with the Big Ten and SEC, and Colorado as a blueblood power
Colorado is gonna absolutely stink this year.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Alright. I’m ready for my absolute hot take. The college football playoff is the following:

Georgia
Michigan
Washington
Texas

First 2 out:
Penn State
Florida State

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Alright. I’m ready for my absolute hot take. The college football playoff is the following:

Georgia
Michigan
Washington
Texas

First 2 out:
Penn State
Florida State
(The Texas prediction is a joke. But I actually believe Georgia, Michigan, Washington make the playoff)

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

Please never change. You make me laugh way too much.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Touchdown Utah on their first play from scrimmage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad