Confirmed with Link: Wedgewall is back 1Mx2

serp

Jan 17, 2016
~$1M per is what i expected . 2 years is absolutely fine too. If plays badly it's still small enough that he can be send to the AHL without anything on the cap.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That’s a hell of a deal, credit to Nill and him. Is him resigning a condition to the deal with Arizona?

No . It was when the Stars made the playoffs and the 4th became a 3rd

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
That’s a hell of a deal, credit to Nill and him. Is him resigning a condition to the deal with Arizona?

Nope

And I remember Wedgewood saying all he wants is a deal with some term so he can stop moving around for a bit lol. So here we go, a nice cheap deal with some term

Reactions: LT

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Nice! Great signing at that value.
Now Nill just dump Dobby somewhere!

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
everyone's so quick to want to ditch nill. he might not bat 1.000 but damn does he get some fantastic value contracts on the regular.
I think my biggest issue was his loyalty signing Khudobin

I've been saying for years that you have to go bargain bin shopping for backups. This deal rules.

Reactions: eartotheground

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
The thing that is so smart about this contract is if you can't dump Khudobin and he starts in the minors, you're actually saving money.

You're only saving $125K FWIW so hopefully, they still can dump Khudobin, but this had to be done. No telling if Khudobin can return from a serious injury and surgery. You had have some reliable depth.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think my biggest issue was his loyalty signing Khudobin

I've been saying for years that you have to go bargain bin shopping for backups. This deal rules.

Well back then the number #1 was Ben Bishop who needed someone as backup you could trust to actually play 40 games because Bishop would miss so many games due to injury. Now thats no longer an issue.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I would add the timing of the signing suggests that Dallas is prepared to start the season with Khudobin under contract and in the organization. If they can dump him I'm sure they will, but they wouldn't have signed Wedgewood and created a situation where a team could hold them over the barrel by taking Khudobin's contract.

I think this eliminates any chance of Dallas just paying someone to take him for picks, but I already thought that was highly unlikely. He's probably only going in a move as part of a bad contract coming back I would expect.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Well back then the number #1 was Ben Bishop who needed someone as backup you could trust to actually play 40 games because Bishop would miss so many games due to injury. Now thats no longer an issue.
Doesn't excuse signing a career backup to term for almost 4M when they knew Oettinger was blossoming. There are always journeymen keepers available for cheap.

Reactions: Elysian

BG44

Jul 19, 2021

Back then Ben Bishop wasn't even playing, and he never played a game again after that at the NHL level. I hate the Khudobin contract as well, but I agree with you here there was a situation that likely made signing Khudobin unavoidable.

Doesn't excuse signing a career backup to term for almost 4M when they knew Oettinger was blossoming. There are always journeymen keepers available for cheap.

Revisionist history is strong with this post. Oettinger had played 2 periods of mop-up duty in the NHL. You can make the argument they could have explored other options, but it's wildly inaccurate to claim Oettinger was anything at the point that the contract was signed.

This is just not even in the realm of reality.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Khudobin came fresh of a SCF appearance and Oettinger NHL experience at that point was 2 third periods in the playoff bubble. Not to mention Bishop was injured and would miss signficant time ( turns out he had to retire ) . They needed to sign someone with experience to tend the goal as #1 for the 20-21 season. They chose the backup the helped them get to the finals.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I like it, too. Seems like a few here lobbied for him to be signed under a million, but I think 7 digits is a requirement for a vet and any ego issues. Plus, he played way better than a million. I would say an added advantage is him knowing the system....wait. Well at least he knows half the D players.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Khudobin came fresh of a SCF appearance and Oettinger NHL experience at that point was 2 third periods in the playoff bubble. Not to mention was injured and would miss signficant time ( turns out he had to retire ) . They needed to sign someone with experience to tend the goal as #1 for the 20-21 season. They chose the backup the helped them get to the finals.

Every move by the Stars now in net since the Bubble makes it pretty obvious that they understood Bishop's career was over despite them giving him every opportunity to try and return. It seems pretty clear they knew that it was highly unlikely.

The idea that Nill shouldn't have signed someone to be a 1A in 2020-21 is fairly insane and out to lunch. I'm with you here. I think it's obvious perfectly reasonable they choose Khudobin, but the only other acceptable argument would be them signing or trading for a different guy. To pretend that was not a need is full-on delusional.

Reactions: LT and Elysian

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Back then Ben Bishop wasn't even playing, and he never played a game again after that at the NHL level. I hate the Khudobin contract as well, but I agree with you here there was a situation that likely made signing Khudobin unavoidable.

Revisionist history is strong with this post. Oettinger had played 2 periods of mop-up duty in the NHL. You can make the argument they could have explored other options, but it's wildly inaccurate to claim Oettinger was anything at the point that the contract was signed.

This is just not even in the realm of reality.
My guy- you're reading way too much into my use of a single word. Blossoming.

There was no reason for him not to be in line to backup Bishop or whoever in 2020-21. He even proved it with his play that year that he was ready to play in the NHL.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

There was no reason for him not to be in line to backup Bishop or whoever in 2020-21. He even proved it with his play that year that he was ready to play in the NHL.

I think it's likely team knew Bishop was done for at least the 20-21 season . They signed Khudobin and rolled with Oettinger as backup . They didn't need to sign Dobby specifically but they needed someone because Bishop was not coming back anytime soon. Turns out he never came back at all.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021

My guy ,.... then you just contradicted yourself. If Oettinger was going to be the backup, who exactly was the starter?

It's pretty obvious Dallas never expected Bishop to play another game. Every single goalie decision since the Bubble suggested that and was proven to be correct. I'm glad they publically supported his return efforts and didn't poo poo it, but I mean it's not even debatable that they planned and made decisions with the understanding he wasn't returning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad