Weber & Letang: Who had the better career?

Who had the better career?

• Total voters

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I think Weber was the better player. Better career? Depends how you define it. I would perhaps rather have Letang’s career, because winning the Cup must be the greatest feeling in hockey. But if I had to put one of them in the HoF, I would choose Weber.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's a rather/very common perception on the History of Hockey Board.
Hes a shoe in. I dont care what the angry old men on the HOH think, theyre always wrong too. Remember when they ranked Ted Kennedy, Forsberg, Schmidt, H. Richard, Cyclone Taylor, Nighbor and Messier above Crosby ? Yeah. Angry old men that have their judgments clouded by their youth.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Weber never helped a HF poster who’s truck broke down outside Montreal on a snowy sexy evening, but I’ll still go with him here.

You don't know that. Would you feel safe telling the world something that Weber didn't want them to know?

• Wow
Reactions: stl76

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If you expect Letang to not be a HHoFer youre going to have a bad time.

After they inducted Lowe & Housley, you're probably correct.

However, he does not have a slam dunk case. He was only ever actually nominated for the Norris once (finished third). He's got two AST's which is good. However, he essentially has the same career as Sergei Gonchar + 2 cups. Depending on how he ages he may even end up with the same amount of points or within range of him one way or another.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
People have very warped views of what a HHoF player is.
If it was a debate on whether the HHOF should be more exclusive, or that Letang will Get in first ballot - that’s a different discussion to be had.

But like many defenders like Letang - Housley, Zubov and probably Gonchar, they’ll get in eventually - barring a change on how they induct members.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If it was a debate on whether the HHOF should be more exclusive, or that Letang will Get in first ballot - that’s a different discussion to be had.

But like many defenders like Letang - Housley, Zubov and probably Gonchar, they’ll get in eventually - barring a change on how they induct members.
Even so, Letang is what, at worst the 8th best defender of the past 20 years? 10th? Theres no way he doesnt make it even with more exclusivity.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The only thing you can hold against Letang is injuries. He would have won the Norris in 2012 over Subban if he played a couple more games. The fact he still finished 3rd in the Norris vote despite missing over 1/4 of the season says a lot

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hes a shoe in. I dont care what the angry old men on the HOH think, theyre always wrong too. Remember when they ranked Ted Kennedy, Forsberg, Schmidt, H. Richard, Cyclone Taylor, Nighbor and Messier above Crosby ? Yeah. Angry old men that have their judgments clouded by their youth.
- I'm not even old and I'm not even the oldest attendee
- Last time around Sidney Crosby ranked well ahead of all these players (and, I guess, just "ahead" of Mark Messier)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
- I'm not even old and I'm not even the oldest attendee
- Last time around Sidney Crosby ranked well ahead of all these players (and, I guess, just "ahead" of Mark Messier)

He is referring to the top 60 centers list which was voted on when Crosby was at 8 NHL seasons not the most recent list (November 2018) where Crosby is ranked 12th best player of all time (5th among centers)

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Letang had way better passing and playmaking skills than Weber, which tip the scales for me. Otherwise they're probably fairly similar in value. Weber had better gruff gruff skills, i.e. smashing opposing players heads into the boards and such, or concussing people in fights with his steel hands, but if I had a #1D vision would be really high on the wish list. That slice-ice pass Letang threw right on Guentzel's blade earlier this season against Buffalo, I could never see Weber throwing that pass.

Reactions: sanscosm

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Weber had a better reputation

But as others mentioned, I think Letang was super underrated, and ultimately was the better player.

As far as career, depends what you value... I think Weber would trade some higher Norris finishes for actual Cups so I'd gow ith Letang

Reactions: sanscosm

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Tough one, if I had to pick one it’d be Weber for me. No shade to Letang this is a good poll and is quite close.

IMO Weber had a long period of being a great dman, arguably the captain and the top player on his team for a long period. Letang has been consistently a top10 dman for longer but wasn’t quite Norris calibre tier in those years.

Both with long careers and longevity, Letang with his skill set is better suited to the speed and skill of the modern game. Offensively he’s got more weapons than Weber no doubt.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Two great defensemen with prime years in the 00s and 10s, a lot of high Norris placements, although without a single 1st place. Weber is factually retired, Letang seems to have a couple of decent years in him. Weber was better defensively and Letang offensively. Who had the better career?

Weber:
RS: 1038GP-589P, +79
PO: 97GP-42P, -1
Norris: 2-2-3-4-4-6-7-8-10

Letang:
RS: 959GP-661P, +90
PO: 149GP-90P, 0
Norris: 3-4-6-6-7-8-9-9
3 cups
this will be slanted cause a lot of posters will talk about the cups---here is the thing.. Letangs cups are more due to the team he played on then his play

Reactions: Soundgarden

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Letang for sure.

Weber had a better peak (shocked he never won the Norris), but Letang had a longer prime & better career.

EDIT: missed a word

Last edited:

Ligue

Sep 28, 2017
Letang for sure.

Weber had a better peak (shocked he never won the Norris), but Letang had a longer prime & career.
At the moment Letang hasn’t had a longer career though (a little shorter) and we don’t know if this is it for him. I believe they had similar prime length however.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Weber of course. I'd like to have seen what he would have produced with Crosby/Malkin his entire career. Offense aside extremely rugged, difficult to play against and elite defensively.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
What’s funny is that using a list compiled 10 seasons ago, which has a 25 years old Crosby ranked ahead the likes of Peter Stastny, Sergei Fedorov, Eric Lindros, Joe Malone or Dave Keon is not the diss that you think it is… quite the opposite.

Don’t look now but in the most recent list, HoH ranked Crosby 10 positions ahead of the highest guy you mentioned (Messier) and 48 ahead of the lowest (Cowley). That was 4 years ago.

I’ve participated in many of those lists in the last 10 years. I’m in my mid-30’s, I’m not angry, and I think that both Letang and Weber makes it to the HoF. But I also know that learning about history and putting it in context with arguments takes a lot more curiosity, time and effort than just assuming that everybody who spent years studying it is always wrong. That’s Dunning-Kruger at its best.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad