Weber & Letang: Who had the better career?

Who had the better career?

• Total voters

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
Two great defensemen with prime years in the 00s and 10s, a lot of high Norris placements, although without a single 1st place. Weber is factually retired, Letang seems to have a couple of decent years in him. Weber was better defensively and Letang offensively. Who had the better career?

Weber:
RS: 1038GP-589P, +79
PO: 97GP-42P, -1
Norris: 2-2-3-4-4-6-7-8-10

Letang:
RS: 959GP-661P, +90
PO: 149GP-90P, 0
Norris: 3-4-6-6-7-8-9-9
3 cups

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Two great defensemen with prime years in the 00s and 10s, a lot of high Norris placements, although without a single 1st place. Weber is factually retired, Letang seems to have a couple of decent years in him. Weber was better defensively and Letang offensively. Who had the better career?

Weber:
RS: 1038GP-589P, +79
PO: 97GP-42P, -1
Norris: 2-2-3-4-4-6-7-8-10

Letang:
RS: 959GP-661P, +90
PO: 149GP-90P, 0
Norris: 3-4-6-6-7-8-9-9
2 cups

3 cups for Letang. 4 finals.

Looking at Letang's profile I'm kind of shocked he isn't a member of the triple gold club. No WC gold or Olympic gold for him?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Weber was the better player and will almost certainly be the lone HHOFer between them.

Though Letang was basically 5 healthy games in 2012-2013 from being an HHOFer, too.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Not the biggest Letang fan, but I think he's better than the reputation he's had and he logs a ton of minutes. I think he's somewhat underrated, especially considering Weber has 2 first team all star finishes (none to Letang) and 2 second team all star finishes (same for Letang) and he's had much better results in Norris voting.....same for Team Canada....Weber always seemed to be ranked very high and Letang not a sniff.

Reactions: Ignatius and Oneiro

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
I feel Letang is one of the more underrated players of his era, I really wanted him in Detroit this offseason (but from what I've seen it looks like age catching up lol?)

Honestly never super impressed with Weber, reminds me of a Kroger brand prototypical nineties defenseman lol

Reactions: Gurglesons

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Letang has always been underrated because people think he leeches off Crosby and Malkin. But he's one of the biggest reasons for their continued success year after year. Second best offensive dman of his era behind Karlsson and top ten overall nearly every year. Was always disappointed he never got invited to international play, imo he deserved it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've enjoyed watching Letang's career a lot more. Probably my favourite defenceman of his generation to watch. But i think Shea Weber has probably had the "better" career.

Between arguably getting closer to the Norris, the Captaincy of two different teams, all of the Team Canada accolades, etc. I think that kind of tilts the deck slightly.

Letang is still going strong though, so who knows how it shuffles out in the end.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Letang’s 2016 playoffs, which should have earned him a Conn Smythe IMO, puts him over Weber for me. Three Stanley Cups vs two Gold medals, but only one was far and away THE GUY for any of them.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I feel Letang is one of the more underrated players of his era, I really wanted him in Detroit this offseason (but from what I've seen it looks like age catching up lol?)

Honestly never super impressed with Weber, reminds me of a Kroger brand prototypical nineties defenseman lol

Came here to say this and despite having a slight injury almost every year which reduced his Norris votes he still has 8 top 10 finishes and a really good playoff resume but it hurts him that the Pens won the SC without him as well.

He will be a bubble HHOF guy depending on how he ages in his last contract with the Pens.

I also think that Weber got under rated for a while and now might get over rated a bit since he played with the Habs, 2 pretty decent Dmen though.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Letang is underrated, Weber (vastly) overrated. Narrative > reality with both players.

Reactions: sanscosm

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
I mean Weber was used as the #1 d for both Olympics he played. Letang wasn't invited.

Weber better player, Letang better career.
Letang was invited. There's footage of him practicing on shoes hockey with the group.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Suter should've won that Norris, not Letang or Subban....

My point was mostly that, if Letang had won the Norris that season, something he would certainly have done had he led the D-Men in scoring and 5 games would've sufficed (maybe 2 actually, but erring on the side of caution), then he becomes pretty much an sure thing for the HHOF... Despite being the exact same player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad