Rumor: Weber could miss whole 2021-22 season

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Just curious if Weber is feeling good enough to play next season (22-23) do you think he comes back for his 3M salary or still ends up retiring? His salary goes down to 1M for 2023-24, 2024-25, and 2025-26 which I doubt motivates him to play

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Just curious if Weber is feeling good enough to play next season (22-23) do you think he comes back for his 3M salary or still ends up retiring? His salary goes down to 1M for 2023-24, 2024-25, and 2025-26 which I doubt motivates him to play

I don’t think we’ll see Weber play again:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
At his age, with the time off already, even if he tried to come back for the playoffs next year, it would be a failed return, IMHO.

So long and thanks for all the fish, Shea...

Reactions: BozoTheClown

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He gets his salary anyway, even if injured.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He gets his salary anyway, even if injured.

his insurance would not cover all of it, but usually 70%. He won't be returning pop bottles or anything to make ends meet. If he retirees, Nashville is on the hook for the rest of his cap, right?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
his insurance would not cover all of it, but usually 70%. He won't be returning pop bottles or anything to make ends meet. If he retirees, Nashville is on the hook for the rest of his cap, right?

Some other poster told me they are 100% insured? :sarcasm:. Hard to know the truth

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Weber has one more LTIR year ($3M) and the Habs hire him to join our development team after that season where his salary drops to $1M and he can get another contract in management. Might not be $1M but it opens the door for him to join management and grow. Something to keep an eye on moving forward in time.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Some other poster told me they are 100% insured? :sarcasm:. Hard to know the truth
Insurance reimburses the team, not the player. NHL contracts are fully 100% guaranteed, unless he decides to retire or his contract is terminated for some reason the Canadiens will be paying Weber every dime of the ~9M remaining on his contract.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
If insurance only covers 70% fairly certain the Habs pay the rest
The Canadiens are obligated to pay Shea Weber every single dollar of his currently active NHL contract. The team pays Weber every single dollar that he's owed, and then the team may be reimbursed by an insurance policy (an insurance policy held by the team, not by Weber) for some percentage of that value.

Every NHL team is obligated to pay every single dollar of every active NHL contract, whether the player is injured or not. The only thing insurance impacts is if the team is reimbursed for some portion of the cost by an insurer or not. It does not matter for the player, they receive 100% of the value of their paycheque from the team no matter what.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The Canadiens are obligated to pay Shea Weber every single dollar of his currently active NHL contract. The team pays Weber every single dollar that he's owed, and then the team may be reimbursed by an insurance policy (an insurance policy held by the team, not by Weber) for some percentage of that value.

Every NHL team is obligated to pay every single dollar of every active NHL contract, whether the player is injured or not. The only thing insurance impacts is if the team is reimbursed for some portion of the cost by an insurer or not. It does not matter for the player, they receive 100% of the value of their paycheque from the team no matter what.

That's what i thought, thankyou

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Probably Josh Gorges, played with Webs in Kelowna. Did you know Josh was the captain of the Kelowna Rockets? Did you know Petry's dad played professional baseball?

Busting out the hits. :laugh:

Reactions: Habs

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Why’s the thread heading still a rumour? Is it only confirmed once the 82 games have been played? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad