We miss you Lars. Wild win.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I hope Barberio can become a little tougher in the corners and solidify himself as a bottom pairing d-man. He's good on the PP.

But yeah, one would think Beaulieu would be the asset we'd need to use to get a young top-six forward.

Thing is, Beaulieu and Pateryn are the Habs' two cheapest dmen and both are developing into studs. We're a better team with them, plus they're on a budget. Habs can't afford NOT to keep them.

Barberio is a RFA this summer. I'd re-sign him, provided they can move a roster dman. Emelin's contract makes him the logical choice to go.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
That was painful to watch. Cant believe i put myself thru it. One NHL calibre line. Half a defense core and backup goalie.

De La Rose should be in the AHL. Let him play an offensive roll there. Therriens love for his no risk defensive game isnt good for his career.

Plekachu's play is disgusting. You want to compete for a Cup and MB cant sign top six forwards but for what he commands, he just isnt someone who will do what it takes to win

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Condon gifted them 2 goals then they got an empty netter. Byron is weighing down Pleks. I actually thought Pleks played better after Mitchell was put on that line. Hudon played better when he was taken away from Pleks & Byron.

MT should try a Hudon - Plekanec - Mitchell line. I don't understand MT's fatuation with Byron. He brings no offense whatsoever.

If Eller is back next game they may have to send Hudon down, since he was only an emergency recall.

Liked Lessio and Ghetto upfront. Dietz played a simple, but effective game. Barberio might make Beaulieu expendable if he keeps this up.

Or, together, they might add enough depth at LD once Markov is gone. The more ice time barber gets, the more he will prove he is versatile.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Dietz should be playing every night until the end of the year.

He has to pass through waivers next year. He may be on the bench for the first half of the season like Pateryn and Tinordi were this year. Better to get him 15 games of NHL experience now.

He looks really bad.......I have a hard time seeing a future for him. Waivers are irrelevant as no team will claim him.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Thing is, Beaulieu and Pateryn are the Habs' two cheapest dmen and both are developing into studs. We're a better team with them, plus they're on a budget. Habs can't afford NOT to keep them.

Barberio is a RFA this summer. I'd re-sign him, provided they can move a roster dman. Emelin's contract makes him the logical choice to go.

Next year's D:

Subban
Petry
Pateryn
Markov
Beaulieu
Emelin
Barberio

Dietz? Waiver eligible, I believe.

Why would we need to move a roster D to re-sign Barberio? Did I forget anyone? Obviously, losing Emelin's contract would be good for the Cap's bottom line, but is it really necessary?

AshyHabs

Biceps>Brains
Dec 27, 2015
Montreal
I just watched some of the highlights it looked like they were playing a very fast game. They missed so many chances wow. Could have been a different game entirely.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I agree. Let the younger guys take spots on the bottom third and develop. Markov will retire soon enough. We may not be able to replace him with Beau but if we've got younger guys developing then we can make up for him in the aggregate.

Getting rid of Emelin opens space for those guys and liberates some cap space. JVRD should be a target this year.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Was there tonight....first game ever for my 8 year old girl.....yeah....I know....but she still likes this team. Thought like I said to her...this was not our team.

Anyway, really quick analysis based on what I saw live....DLR is having so much trouble just following the play. Same with Mac. But Lessio is a freakin keeper. I thought he was our best forward tonight and he should have had so much more icetime. But hey...it's Therrien. Liked Hudon too. And Barberio. Like the guy as well. Does he has a play in your next year 7 d-men?

glad to hear about Lessio man..i keep telling everyone i know, Lessio is on my team next year

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
The gameplan literally includes flipping puck to opponent.
As per Therrien's system. I swear that during this game, the thing I heard Bob Cole saying the most was something like "And Montreal clears the puck out of the zone to nobody in particular."

#TherrienTypical

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
At this point it hardly matters whether the Habs win or lose. If I'm watching, I prefer that they win, and if I'm not I prefer the opposite.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I hate to say it but DLR is not NHL material. Not skilled enough for the top 9 and too wimpy to play on the 4th line.
I am amazed at how many 4th liners a GM can stock up on.

Lessio is the perfect 4th liner. No way he should sit over DLR

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
At this point it hardly matters whether the Habs win or lose. If I'm watching, I prefer that they win, and if I'm not I prefer the opposite.

Exactly. We watch hockey games to see our team win, not for the intellectual exercise of a long-term strategy. Nobody's debating the logic of drafting higher, but losing to get there is not something I need to see.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Lessio should be getting 12-14 min/game to try out for next season's 3rd line spot. The guy is like a bull and seems to be wreaking havoc for opposition D every shift. Hopefully MT doesn't waste one of Bergevin's best trade acquisitions.

Send down DLR, he's regressed compared to last season so clearly Habs development plan isn't working. Send down McCarron, he's had a good showing but now he's -5 in last 4 games. Confidence is important for youth, send them down for playoff push in AHL and hopefully they take game to next level there. Call up Friberg and Holloway (until Eller returns).

1. Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Andrighetto
2. Holloway - Plekanec - Friberg
3. Hudon - Danault - Lessio
4. Byron - Mitchell - Brown

1) Playing well, good for development for Andrighetto and Galchenyuk
2) Reward for Holloway's continued good play in AHL despite obviously signing with MTL to make NHL. Give Friberg a good look since he's under contract next season and playing well in AHL lately. Plekanec going to suffer more.
3) Kid line, Hudon and Lessio showed some good things last game.
4) Give Brown a chance to show he can be on the team's 4th line next season.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I hate to say it but DLR is not NHL material. Not skilled enough for the top 9 and too wimpy to play on the 4th line.
I am amazed at how many 4th liners a GM can stock up on.

Lessio is the perfect 4th liner. No way he should sit over DLR

De la Rose is still young so I wouldn't write him off yet. But so far... yeah, I have to agree he's shown no offensive upside. Either his skill is buried under a lack of confidence and will emerge in a year or two, or it's just not there.

Maybe he should switch to defence. He's at least got the instincts and size to play D. Frankly, I see no future for him as a forward if this is all he's got.

Lessio looks hungry. Good to see. The question is what's there after the adrenaline wears off. But as others have said, how many 4th liners do we need? Having a strong 4th line is important, but with cheap and solid options like Mitchell, Byron, Flynn and Danault, it's the last thing we have to worry about.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Mitchell, Byron, Flynn and Danault, it's the last thing we have to worry about.

You can't make a good bottom 4 (4th line and 13th forward) with that though. Not enough diversity in the style of play. To me it's Flynn or Byron. I don't want both there's a choice t be made. At this point i would take Brown over Flynn just to have diversity in the bottom 4.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
You can't make a good bottom 4 (4th line and 13th forward) with that though. Not enough diversity in the style of play. To me it's Flynn or Byron. I don't want both there's a choice t be made. At this point i would take Brown over Flynn just to have diversity in the bottom 4.

Are you joking? Brown is finished as an NHLer. Reminds me of when some of you wanted to re-sign Brad Staubitz.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He looks really bad.......I have a hard time seeing a future for him. Waivers are irrelevant as no team will claim him.

REALLY bad??

completely disagree, he looked half decent , and way better than Ellis did

its not his fault the rest of our D corps that night was the worst weve EVER had in the last 30 years

i think he showed a lot of promise

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Are you joking? Brown is finished as an NHLer. Reminds me of when some of you wanted to re-sign Brad Staubitz.

For one i never wanted to re-sign Staubitz.

For two i clearly said for me it's Byron or Flynn. I said i would take Brown over Flynn to emphasis how much i think we need to add grit to our bottom 7. Like i don't want Flynn at all since i would even take Brown before him.

Of course i would not resign Brown but i would look for a better option than Flynn. We do need more grit in the bottom 7 imo. The butter laying on my table is less soft than Flynn.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
André Ghetto was the most active member of his line last night. I was there and I liked what I saw.

But boy, was that a putrid lineup. And if Price in net, it ends 1-0 for the good guys, no doubt.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I PVRed the game but not inclined to watch it. What's the point.

incognito Burrito*

I doubt anyone wanted Staubitz.

Brown can play at least.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
For one i never wanted to re-sign Staubitz.

For two i clearly said for me it's Byron or Flynn. I said i would take Brown over Flynn to emphasis how much i think we need to add grit to our bottom 7. Like i don't want Flynn at all since i would even take Brown before him.

Of course i would not resign Brown but i would look for a better option than Flynn. We do need more grit in the bottom 7 imo. The butter laying on my table is less soft than Flynn.

Are you sure you want to keep Flynn? ;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
2) Reward for Holloway's continued good play in AHL despite obviously signing with MTL to make NHL. Give Friberg a good look since he's under contract next season and playing well in AHL lately. 3) Kid line, Hudon and Lessio showed some good things last game.
4) Give Brown a chance to show he can be on the team's 4th line next season.

Friberg hasn't really played well, he's been ok and good on the PK though. I would give Holloway a look but at the same time if they don't so be it as I doubt he's back next year.

I would keep playing Brown to see if they should bring him back since we don't really have anyone like him. Matteau maybe but right now they should just have Mateau focused on doing the little things right to get him back on track.

I don't know if he's finished or not, he's clearly a lot better then Staubitz, it wouldn't hurt to keep playing him to see if they should bring him back or not, since we don't really have anyone that brings what he does. If they can get him cheap, it wouldn't be the worst to have him as the 13th/14th forward next year depending on how the roster shapes up as we could be looking at a very soft team next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad