We have arrived at the first truly big games of this season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I know it is early but I feel this back to back is huge and it's because of the good start we have gotten off to and the slow start teams like Buffalo Boston and Florida have gotten off to, particularly Boston in this case.

This back to back is huge because if they can win these 2 games they open up an 8 point gap on Boston which would be huge even at this early stage of the season.

not only that but depending on how the next 2 games go Florida and Buffalo could be buried early as well.

I know it's early but I can't help but feel these are big games because if you win these 2 games or even get points then then you can start putting some major distance between us and Boston, Florida and Buffalo.

it can be hard to make up ground no matter how early it is

bury these teams while you can.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
every game is important but the games don't get truly big so early. Especially when we've been cruising so far

I think these are huge games because if we win these games we can put some serious distance between ourselves and the teams behind us early which may come in handy later

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Am I the only one that sees these ganes as a huge chance to create distance between us and 4 teams behind us?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Agreed. I think Ottawa is the clear best of the rest also

Yeah, they'll be right there once Karlsson gets back. Just a balanced team overall.
Agree with both of you. Pretty sure TB and us battle for the division with Ottawa third by default. I'm not sure a WC birth is going to be available to a team in the Atlantic as I like what each of the metro WC contenders bring better than any of our competition. Assuming Washington Pittsburgh and Columbus go 1-2-3 I like Jersey, philly, the islanders and even Carolina's chances better than the habs bruins panthers sabres or the wings. The Atlantic is pretty bad currently.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
There were 10 teams I picked as measuring sticks this year:

edm ana chi nas
mon tbl ott was clb pit

2 for 2 so far.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, they'll be right there once Karlsson gets back. Just a balanced team overall.
Ottawa has talent but the ability to execute the system on a regular basis. We have issues with structure at times or we could be even better.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I don’t think these next 2 games are more important than the first games we’ve played. At this point a win is a win and it’s points in the bank for when adversity strikes. Whether it’s injuries or stretches of bad luck. Getting points will reduce pressure as you said but we did that in the last few games too.

These games I don’t think will seem as important as the ones closer to the playoff push when we are trying to establish our seeding. Best case scenario, we’re not worrying about seeding and just resting our stars for the playoffs ;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Am I the only one that sees these ganes as a huge chance to create distance between us and 4 teams behind us?

Meh, it's a long season, Remember how PHI "created some distance" last season?

The games will get bigger as the season goes along. I'd say tonight's game is above average as far as being big goes but I wouldn't overstate the importance either.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we can get at least 3/4 points, it’d be great.

If Andy can steal tonight for us, and McBackup has a solid season debut tomorrow (knowing Pickard is right behind him is added motivation), 4/4 isn’t necessarily out of the question

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Washington does not look strong at all this year -- Ovechkin's resurgence aside. Despite Ovechkin and an exploding Kuznetsov, they deserve their mediocre record: just 46% CF through 6GP.

Honestly, this is a much bigger game for Washington than it is for Toronto.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I think these are huge games because if we win these games we can put some serious distance between ourselves and the teams behind us early which may come in handy later

Literally every single game this season is worth the same amount. Tbe obly thing this can add over other games against worse is confidence.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Meh, the way this board works, it will be an overreaction in either direction. If player-X has a great game and they win, he's awesome and a godsend (hyperbole, hyperbole, hyperbole). If they lose, it'll be suicide watch again.

Rinse and repeat (always repeat).

Ya, pretty much this. And if Marner has a bad game we can look forward to the "trade Marner for defensive help" threads.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I don't think we are at 'statement game' or 'big game' stage yet. But, I agree with OP in the sense that sometimes, if teams get off to bad start there is a tendency to minimize it.
A good start and building a cushion early is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT; we've already built some confidence whilst some pretty good teams are still trying to get going.

Jun 27, 2005
Sagarin currently has us 7th given our easy schedule so far. Two wins and we are up there with the best but two losses and we drop to the middle of the pack. So all in all it's too early to tell. We'll know after about 20 games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I know it is early but I feel this back to back is huge and it's because of the good start we have gotten off to and the slow start teams like Buffalo Boston and Florida have gotten off to, particularly Boston in this case.

This back to back is huge because if they can win these 2 games they open up an 8 point gap on Boston which would be huge even at this early stage of the season.

not only that but depending on how the next 2 games go Florida and Buffalo could be buried early as well.

I know it's early but I can't help but feel these are big games because if you win these 2 games or even get points then then you can start putting some major distance between us and Boston, Florida and Buffalo.

it can be hard to make up ground no matter how early it is

bury these teams while you can.

TB 10 points, Tor 8 points, Ottawa 8 points, Detroit 8 points on the season.

Buf, Bos and Florida are not even the main focus teams at this time.

The Detroit game coming up has real standings implications at present and its not so much the rear-view mirror but what is happening around the Div. Keeping pace with Tampa the class of the Atlantic Div is the most important goal.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Every win is still 2 points? The big games will be the games when the light bulb goes on and team defence is an instinct instead of an attempt at splitting the atom. The big games will be the ones where the team builds confidence.

Reactions: Rogie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad