Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Pie

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Could the Canes offer a sweet enough package to pry Joel Eriksson Ek from the Wild?

A package of KK or Drury, 1st and a prospect or something along those lines.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Zero chance I would flip Drury in a trade for Kakko, or anything higher than a late 2nd...he's a complimentary player at best at this point. And understandably the Rags wouldn't trade him for that little. He could still develop some for sure, but I don't think he's even shown flashes of what a breakout could be or look like. At least KK has shown flashes where he can be damn near PPG player, he's just wildly inconsistent. They should just keep him as a cheap complimentary player or accept that he's not going to fetch much.

I will say that I'd be open to a trade for a late 1st. Not for Drury, but for a late 1st. The fact that Kakko is under-23 and is already good defensively adds some value for me.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Could the Canes offer a sweet enough package to pry Joel Eriksson Ek from the Wild?

Bill Guerin would probably ask “Don, is that prospect Nikishin?”.

Given his contract (term at a good number) and Minnesota’s (lack of) center depth, he’s a total fantasy.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

I'd think KK + probably a top young player & at least a 2nd would be needed.

I'd make that deal...I like the player and he has size to boot.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Bill Geurin would probably ask “Don, is that prospect Nikishin?”.

Given his contract (term at a good number) and Minnesota’s (lack of) center depth, he’s a total fantasy.
Giving up Nikishin for EK would be something one would have to consider. proven player verses potential I'd go with the proven player.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Giving up Nikishin for EK would be something one would have to consider. proven player verses potential I'd go with the proven player.
Morrow maybe. He is from that neck of the woods anyway. But Nikishin more than most prospects at this point is straddling the proven vs. potential line in a way you don't take the chance of losing a kid like that. And defense is going to be a need for us sooner than later. More so than center.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Morrow maybe. He is from that neck of the woods anyway. But Nikishin more than most prospects at this point is straddling the proven vs. potential line in a way you don't take the chance of losing a kid like that. And defense is going to be a need for us sooner than later. More so than center.
Do we have a guarantee that Nikishin will actually leave Russia? That's my point.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The NHL is where the money is. You have to be patient. It took a few years, but Kuznetsov did come over. Ditto Kaprizov and Sorokin.

Slavin turns 30 in a few months. The same is true of Skjei and Pesce. The core of the defense is middle aged in hockey years. Nikishin will be a shot of high potential youth exactly when its needed.

Going back to Kuznetsov, Washington had been trending downwards from a President's Trophy peak in the years before his arrival, culminating in missing the playoffs in 13-14. He was as advertised and the Caps proceeded to have another high peak in mid to late 10s, including the cup win.

You want to talk about competing at a high level for 10-15 years, an unexpected draft W is how that happens. Nikishin is potentially a big deal; they have to see it play out.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Do we have a guarantee that Nikishin will actually leave Russia? That's my point.

No. But we hold his rights forever. And he's said nothing that makes us think he won't come over. Morrow's rights are gone next year and he has declined to sign with us at least once already. And he's not nearly as good at this point.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
No. But we hold his rights forever. And he's said nothing that makes us think he won't come over. Morrow's rights are gone next year and he has declined to sign with us at least once already. And he's not nearly as good at this point.
Don't get me wrong i have no problem trading Morrow, And while I agree Nikishin is a major prospect, he is a prospect. I wouldn't trade him for most people however, Ek has 5 years left at a 5.25 AAV for the next 5 years would be just too much to pass, especially with him just coming into his prime years of 27-32. It would be a tough decision, however, I would pull the trigger, if that was the only way to complete the trade, Others may pass and I respect that too. Like you said it's a crap shoot.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Why would we trade Drury when hes having what appears to be an emergence?

Yep. If you remove draft pedigree, it’d be odd to try to justify Drury for Kakko straight up right now, let alone us adding significantly. Drury’s on pace for Kakko’s career highs from last season, and Kakko’s got 6 points this year. Then throw in center vs. winger, defensive play, etc. Drury has done a lot to win me over in the last 2-3 months so maybe I’m letting recency bias take over here, but when you’re talking player in their early 20s, “recency” is pretty much all you’ve got to judge from.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The NHL is where the money is. You have to be patient. It took a few years, but Kuznetsov did come over. Ditto Kaprizov and Sorokin.

Slavin turns 30 in a few months. The same is true of Skjei and Pesce. The core of the defense is middle aged in hockey years. Nikishin will be a shot of high potential youth exactly when its needed.

Going back to Kuznetsov, Washington had been trending downwards from a President's Trophy peak in the years before his arrival, culminating in missing the playoffs in 13-14. He was as advertised and the Caps proceeded to have another high peak in mid to late 10s, including the cup win.

You want to talk about competing at a high level for 10-15 years, an unexpected draft W is how that happens. Nikishin is potentially a big deal; they have to see it play out.

This is why all of the defensive maneuvering and pair overloading by this front office makes sense. They want to keep this team humming even as UFA departures loom with members of our defense.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I have a question because I honestly haven’t a clue what the answer is. Would you consider the KHL equal to or higher than the AHL.

I ask because I’m wondering if Nikishin would need to spend time in the AHL to get used to better quality and a smaller rink. I know college is a step above the ECHL but below the AHL. So I’m sure Morrow would need at last a half season to adjust.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I have a question because I honestly haven’t a clue what the answer is. Would you consider the KHL equal to or higher than the AHL.

I ask because I’m wondering if Nikishin would need to spend time in the AHL to get used to better quality and a smaller rink. I know college is a step above the ECHL but below the AHL. So I’m sure Morrow would need at last a half season to adjust.
KHL is considered the 2nd best league behind the NHL. Ahl is behind khl, shl, and liiga. Although better than German and Swiss leagues.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
KHL is considered the 2nd best league behind the NHL. Ahl is behind khl, shl, and liiga. Although better than German and Swiss leagues.
Thanks. Wasn’t sure I know they are Russia professional league but wasn’t so sure how it ranked compared to the AHL

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Is JEE really all that good though? Or is he largely a product of playing with Kaprizov? He's playing 1C but generally paces for high-end 2C points. Would he still put up 60 points if he weren't with Kaprizov or getting top-line minutes? I admit I haven't watched Minny much, but if we're even talking about trading one of our best prospects, we'd have to be pretty sure of what we're getting a sizeable upgrade.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
You're not getting Erickson Ek.

You're also not going to see the 1 and 2 teams in a division making a trade with each other at the TDL. Thank god because Kakko would solve nothing.

There isn't a 2C on the board right now that fits. Lindholm WOULD have been that guy and JR absolutely pulled the trigger on him, and without a doubt part of the reason he did it early was to knock us out too. win win.

We arent going to get anything from VAN with them being on a tear in the west. And hopefully the borg says true to form and will not go in on someone like Henrique.

The only "assets" that are disposable to this team right now are TDA, Orlov, and KK. And none of those are real assets at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad