Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
If Necas could learn not to have brain farts he'd be an easy re-sign. The kid has wicked speed, awesome wrap-around skills, and a great shot, those don't grow on trees.

He also is prone to play like he's scared of his own shadow, which contributes to the brain farts such as when he failed to clear the zone late in the Devils game last week when he should have just sent the puck back into the corner to kill the clock.

Tough to say what the front office thinks.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
If Necas could learn not to have brain farts he'd be an easy re-sign. The kid has wicked speed, awesome wrap-around skills, and a great shot, those don't grow on trees.

He also is prone to play like he's scared of his own shadow, which contributes to the brain farts such as when he failed to clear the zone late in the Devils game last week when he should have just sent the puck back into the corner to kill the clock.

Tough to say what the front office thinks.
"prone to play like he's scared of his own shadow"

I have felt the same but have observed that since he has come back not only has his skill been on display but also he has been much more physical and actually body checking. This "new" Necas is a keeper in my book.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
When it comes to Carolina deadline shenanigans, Kaapo Kakko strikes me as a guy who they typically like to swing their shot at. Great metrics, especially defensively, but hasn't finished in the big leagues yet. Drury for Kakko is the obvious swap if player-for-player, but I simultaneously wonder if our 2024 1st is enough for the Rangers to part with him, considering that they can then use a 1st to bring in a center from elsewhere. Bring Kakko in, start him on the bench, incorporate him when there's an injury, and see if he can win a lineup spot.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
When it comes to Carolina deadline shenanigans, Kaapo Kakko strikes me as a guy who they typically like to swing their shot at. Great metrics, especially defensively, but hasn't finished in the big leagues yet. Drury for Kakko is the obvious swap if player-for-player, but I simultaneously wonder if our 2024 1st is enough for the Rangers to part with him, considering that they can then use a 1st to bring in a center from elsewhere. Bring Kakko in, start him on the bench, incorporate him when there's an injury, and see if he can win a lineup spot.
We should go after Kuzmenko as well and run with Kuzmenko-Kotkaniemi-Kakko line.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think he would like it. He could just say KK for all three and never miss a name
5ce337bd-9fda-41b3-a9c4-dfd3282130e8_text.gif

"KK with the sprawling save!"

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Why would we give up Drury for Kakko? Drury is cheaper and better and plays a more important position.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I would not trade Drury for Kakko 1 for 1, Drury is the better player right now and will be the better player going forward, along with playing a more important/valuable position.

I'd consider adding Kakko to the mix for a 2nd round pick but I don't really see why the NYR would do that.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd consider that late first swap for a Kakko type a la the Koko play pending what other options are available for that pick. And it does make sense for the Rags to flip that 1st for a vet rental of the likes we wouldn't likely go for. But it'd be pretty silly to trade Jack unless it was for a big-time, proven upgrade.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
If a player on the 4 lines isn't moved, where is Kakko going to play? Drury has slowed down Offensively on the 2nd line but has continued stellar D play (plus can be used on PK & PP%)

btw: Kakko also has diabetes & celiac disease

Mid-Season League Team Stats (who would have projected Canes would be #2 mid-season???):

1706719595379.png

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Don’t really see the benefit of trading Drury and a 1st to get Kakko and have him ride the pine.

I said Drury OR a 1st. Not both. The reason Drury for Kakko feels like a natural move for Rangers fans is 1. They desperately need Cs with Chytil's career uncertainties, and 2. The Canes have Ponomaryov in the system. Again, I'd prefer a Kakko trade just for the late 1st. They can use that pick in a trade for a center.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hard pass. Rangers moving on from Kakko seems more like a trade to drop the contract, and with the level of production he's had this year he's not even in the conversation for Drury. 6 points in 28 games. Career high has been 40 in 82 and he hasn't paced for north of .5 ppg at any point in his career. Yeah, this is a down year for him but take draft position out of the equation here. Drury right now is the more productive player, the more defensively responsible player, and is playing probably the most valuable position on the team at a solid level despite getting 4th line ice time most of the year. This isn't Lindholm we're talking about here, Drury isn't a piece you dangle in this trade. This is more along the lines of Lemieux and a 3rd for Kakko.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Kakko is someone I’d look at a cheap offer sheet for in the offseason (2nd compensation) rather than trade now.

If they are aiming for a center and want to avoid the bidding war, go get Henrique.

Reactions: AD Skinner

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Hard pass. Rangers moving on from Kakko seems more like a trade to drop the contract, and with the level of production he's had this year he's not even in the conversation for Drury. 6 points in 28 games. Career high has been 40 in 82 and he hasn't paced for north of .5 ppg at any point in his career. Yeah, this is a down year for him but take draft position out of the equation here. Drury right now is the more productive player, the more defensively responsible player, and is playing probably the most valuable position on the team at a solid level despite getting 4th line ice time most of the year. This isn't Lindholm we're talking about here, Drury isn't a piece you dangle in this trade. This is more along the lines of Lemieux and a 3rd for Kakko.

I'd be shocked if a trade for Kakko only requires a 3rd + bench player. I'll say it'll take one of our two seconds. Maybe our late 1st. But no, I don't think it would be anything too significant. I mentioned Drury as someone who was rather obvious as a need for the Rangers, because they are starving for center depth.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think they could jump the line on Henrique while many are feeling out offers for Lindholm.
JR was pretty smart in his deadline maneuvering to get out in front of the pack. I don't see this front office doing that as you will generally pay a higher price to get someone to commit to your offer than if you wait and they find out there is a poor market for their offerings.

Dundon and company are the type that have deals being completed as the clock strikes midnight, not well in advance.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
JR was pretty smart in his deadline maneuvering to get out in front of the pack. I don't see this front office doing that as you will generally pay a higher price to get someone to commit to your offer than if you wait and they find out there is a poor market for their offerings.

Dundon and company are the type that have deals being completed as the clock strikes midnight, not well in advance.

It's somewhat habitual, but it also makes sense with how deadline cap space is accumulated. They maximize space the longer that they wait.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Zero chance I would flip Drury in a trade for Kakko, or anything higher than a late 2nd...he's a complimentary player at best at this point. And understandably the Rags wouldn't trade him for that little. He could still develop some for sure, but I don't think he's even shown flashes of what a breakout could be or look like. At least KK has shown flashes where he can be damn near PPG player, he's just wildly inconsistent. They should just keep him as a cheap complimentary player or accept that he's not going to fetch much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad