OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to April

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Made it to Oklahoma safe and sound. My niece gave me the sweetest hug tho my meth bear hat terrifies her.

On the way to baggage claim I ran into a few rabid Bruins fans who saw my tshirt and hat and waived crazily at me. Love it.
Now you can relax a bit.

• Love
Reactions: Alicat

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Well, when it rains, it really pours.

Remember that big windstorm we had 1-2 maybe 3 weeks ago?

Well. Unbeknownst to us and our cameras, our fence is hanging on for dear life. One of the neighbors behind us who is renting an apartment got our attention as we came home. I walked over to him and he said I've been trying to get your attention for a week now. Did you guys notice your fence is partially collapsed? I look at him and said no. He said when I look at the window I see your dog going to the area, I didn't want it running out. I walked around behind the new shed and BAM look at this shit.

View attachment 842743

View attachment 842744

My dog could of ran out the yard and we would of never known how. I am so greatful to this guy. I got his number. I put these cones, and put the wood part sticking up in at tight as I could so it won't collapse even further. The guy told us if we need a fence guy, his friend has one and won't overcharge us. I was very greatful to have seen him today. This could've been dangerous if it fell the other way. As kids live behind us and play by the fence all the time.

Money is tight right now. Hopefully we can get this fixed soon. I know my dad wanted to replace the fence with a plastic one. But he said he likes the wood feel better.

Not sure what we're going to do. But lucky to have neighbors who care. Especially this guy. He just moved in too.
Is the plan to replace the entire fence or just the damaged section? It looks as if your wood support posts rotted at the bottom and a strong gust of wind pushed them over. A fence guy would recommend stainless steel support posts and pressure treated wood pickets. Labor to dig a few holes and pour cement to anchor the supports. It shouldn’t be very expensive. You can look online for pricing of the pickets (Lowe’s or Home Depot). I just priced mine as my fence took a tumble during a recent storm & my 5” pickets are priced at $2 each.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Ok so is it true? My daughter says her weather app for Somerville says 7" snow Wed, 12" Thurs.

Sorry Wally....may need to get that snow blower back out

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ok so is it true? My daughter says her weather app for Somerville says 7" snow Wed, 12" Thurs.

Sorry Wally....may need to get that snow blower back out

Depending on where in Mass there is a shot at it. ~ 6 inches water saturated for here in Central Ma. Bookended by heavy rain. We’ll see. A couple of degrees up or down will make all the difference.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Depending on where in Mass there is a shot at it. ~ 6 inches water saturated for here in Central Ma. Bookended by heavy rain. We’ll see. A couple of degrees up or down will make all the difference.
well.....sounds like suckage no matter what...so far it looks like we are on the edge of it

Reactions: Gee Wally

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
True, but the other side of this is cutting out everyone and creating only an echo chamber of like-minded people in our lives. We wont be challenged on our thinking and it is more likely to reinforce incorrect ideas we don't know we have.

Value the friends you have that can disagree with you, in a nice and respectful way.

Interesting you equated "negative people" that way.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
True, but the other side of this is cutting out everyone and creating only an echo chamber of like-minded people in our lives. We wont be challenged on our thinking and it is more likely to reinforce incorrect ideas we don't know we have.

Value the friends you have that can disagree with you, in a nice and respectful way.
I agree with this but at times there are people that only bring negative energy and add NOTHING. I have reached a point where I don't need them in my life.

I do have friends that I disagree with and love

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton

Or just be a private person. 10 years ago I talked to everyone posted everything on social media.

Now I mainly talk to my parents my kids and a few coworkers and hardly post anymore

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Or just be a private person. 10 years ago I talked to everyone posted everything on social media.

Now I mainly talk to my parents my kids and a few coworkers and hardly post anymore
I had a relative I thought I could trust....she forwarded our entire conversation to her family and friends.....told her she violated my trust and to have a nice life

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Is the plan to replace the entire fence or just the damaged section? It looks as if your wood support posts rotted at the bottom and a strong gust of wind pushed them over. A fence guy would recommend stainless steel support posts and pressure treated wood pickets. Labor to dig a few holes and pour cement to anchor the supports. It shouldn’t be very expensive. You can look online for pricing of the pickets (Lowe’s or Home Depot). I just priced mine as my fence took a tumble during a recent storm & my 5” pickets are priced at $2 each.
Dad wants plastic, but everyone is saying go for wood again. Ideally, he wants to replace the entirely of the fence. It just happened at the wrong time. He got priced for a new fence last year for 3,000. Hopefully this time we can get that price down.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Dad wants plastic, but everyone is saying go for wood again. Ideally, he wants to replace the entirely of the fence. It just happened at the wrong time. He got priced for a new fence last year for 3,000. Hopefully this time we can get that price down.

The plastic are super nice from looks to no maintenance to almost last forever.
The only thing to watch for is if you have any overhanging large limbs. In very cold sub freezing if one should fall big enough it will crack the plastic.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
The plastic are super nice from looks to no maintenance to almost last forever.
The only thing to watch for is if you have any overhanging large limbs. In very cold sub freezing if one should fall big enough it will crack the plastic.

That's my only concern. We have two large trees in the yard. I had to go find a picture from last fall to show. We've had a few limbs fall from the windstorm. I assume dad will trim some of the branches again this summer.

Screenshot_20240330_130202_Gallery.jpg

the entire back fence definitely has to be replaced. And considering this is the second time we've had a fence rot/fall. I think hes set on going for the plastic one. Despite others telling him go wood.

Something like this.
Screenshot_20240330_130558_Chrome.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
3k for a fence seems crazy low. Unless it’s just a few sections.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
3k for a fence seems crazy low. Unless it’s just a few sections.
If you have the money, yes. But 3 thousand for each section, not including labor and costs, for the entire back fence last year was too much. That was just one quote.

I'm hoping it won't be too bad. If he really wants to go full plastic fence, I support him. But I just don't want someone taking advantage of him. The guy who gave that quote last year wanted to do our front fence which is wood and we like it a lot, he wanted and tried to push cement blocks? Or cement

It was like this but much shorter idk how to explain it

Screenshot_20240330_141712_Chrome.jpg

We don't need that in front.

For reference this is out front fence that does need to be replaced. Its not in bad shape but the top of this side is gone. We really want the same kind again. This is original to the house and we want to keep the tradition.

Screenshot_20240330_141841_Gallery.jpg

I don't think brick or concrete is appropriate. The quote guy was really pushing the concrete block thing idea. Luckily my brother put the kibosh on that.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If you have the money, yes. But 3 thousand for each section, not including labor and costs, for the entire back fence last year was too much. That was just one quote.

I'm hoping it won't be too bad. If he really wants to go full plastic fence, I support him. But I just don't want someone taking advantage of him. The guy who gave that quote last year wanted to do our front fence which is wood and we like it a lot, he wanted and tried to push cement blocks? Or cement

It was like this but much shorter idk how to explain it

View attachment 843509

We don't need that in front.

For reference this is out front fence that does need to be replaced. Its not in bad shape but the top of this side is gone. We really want the same kind again. This is original to the house and we want to keep the tradition.

View attachment 843511

I don't think brick or concrete is appropriate. The quote guy was really pushing the concrete block thing idea. Luckily my brother put the kibosh on that.
Ah ok. If it’s a fancy fence then i could see it being 3k for a short run of it. Fences have def gone way up in the last few years. Much like everything else, but perhaps a bit more than other jobs

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
This fell on top of me just now. I'm shaken up, but okay. Very, very lucky.

I walked over to the side to take more pictures for my dad because he has a guy coming Monday and wanted to see more. So I walk to the right side of the fence and the gust of wind comes and BAM. Falls on top of my side. Right shoulder. I was pined against the new shed. I was able to use my shoulder to hold the side up to call my sister to come outside to help. Before she could get to me I maneuvered my body to push the big spoke up and get it off my body. My sister came and held the rest and we let it go down.

The big nails scared the shit out of me. Luckily none touched me. And I only have minor bruises and some scrapes from moving it off if me. I don't understand why these strange things happen to me. But I gotta say, this girl is very happy and lucky to be okay.

20240330_175240.jpg

20240330_175224.jpg
20240330_175252.jpg
20240330_175250.jpg

Stay safe everyone. 😅😩

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
This fell on top of me just now. I'm shaken up, but okay. Very, very lucky.

I walked over to the side to take more pictures for my dad because he has a guy coming Monday and wanted to see more. So I walk to the right side of the fence and the gust of wind comes and BAM. Falls on top of my side. Right shoulder. I was pined against the new shed. I was able to use my shoulder to hold the side up to call my sister to come outside to help. Before she could get to me I maneuvered my body to push the big spoke up and get it off my body. My sister came and held the rest and we let it go down.

The big nails scared the shit out of me. Luckily none touched me. And I only have minor bruises and some scrapes from moving it off if me. I don't understand why these strange things happen to me. But I gotta say, this girl is very happy and lucky to be okay.

View attachment 843646

View attachment 843647View attachment 843648View attachment 843649

Stay safe everyone. 😅😩
Holy moly! Glad you’re ok. I would be down for the count if that thing landed on me!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad