OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to April & May

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Throwing the whole double murder thing out the window, I will say, OJ was really charismatic. A good announcer and comedic actor, and his Twitter videos were surprisingly entertaining and endearing. Of course, that charm probably helped him get away with some things.

Hell of a running back too. Greatest athlete in Buffalo Bills history.
I hoy.pe the family allows his brain to be researched as I can't help thinking he had CTE issues. It would not condone anything but could explain why.

When he worked games for NBC in Foxborough he spent a lot of time working with the camera crew for hints to look for and he was fun to work with.. That said Will McDonough thought he had a projects mentality which Will grew up with in Southie.

Reactions: McGarnagle and BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I hoy.pe the family allows his brain to be researched as I can't help thinking he had CTE issues. It would not condone anything but could explain why.

When he worked games for NBC in Foxborough he spent a lot of time working with the camera crew for hints to look for and he was fun to work with.. That said Will McDonough thought he had a projects mentality which Will grew up with in Southie.
I think he was a narcissist, much like a lot of very famous people in the world today. They can be charming and charismatic to get what they want, like sociopaths, create cult followings, and are the most dangerous.

Reactions: CDJ and Alicat

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Throwing the whole double murder thing out the window, I will say, OJ was really charismatic. A good announcer and comedic actor, and his Twitter videos were surprisingly entertaining and endearing. Of course, that charm probably helped him get away with some things.

Hell of a running back too. Greatest athlete in Buffalo Bills history.
That first sentence sounds like a Norm MacDonald joke.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
From my teammate:
1712874868327.jpeg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Saw this and it's why the CTE stuff rings so hollow in this specific case. It's sadly very simple: he was a piece of shit who abused women, and those are the exact people who go on to brutally murder their ex-wives.
Yup it’s just who he was, violence against women was ingrained in him

World became a slightly better place yesterday

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
As I wait to speak with a human being from Bank of America, enduring unwanted, hectoring BOA-centric advertisements repeated endlessly by a severe sounding, doubtless AI-generated female "voice," I am meditating on a word that entered the popular lexicon in 2022.

Coined by Cory Doctorow, that word is

Enshittification,​

According to Doctorow, new platforms offer useful products and services at a loss, as a way to gain new users. Once users are locked in, the platform then offers access to the userbase to suppliers at a loss, and once suppliers are locked-in, the platform shifts surpluses to shareholders.[6] Once the platform is fundamentally focused on the shareholders, and the users and vendors are locked in, the platform no longer has any incentive to maintain quality. Enshittified platforms which act as intermediaries can functionally act as both a monopoly on services and a monopsony on customers, as high switching costs prevent either from leaving even when alternatives technically exist.[4] Doctorow has described the process of enshittification as happening through "twiddling"; the continual adjustment of the parameters of the system in search of marginal improvements of profits, without regard to any other goal. (Wiki)

Combatting enshittification, claims Monsieur Doctorow, is nonetheless possible, via two routes,

• One, respect of the end-to-end principle, a fundamental principle of the Internet in which the role of a network is to reliably deliver data from willing senders to willing receivers. When applied to platforms, this entails users being given what they asked for, not what the platform prefers to present. For example, users would see all content from users they subscribed to, allowing content creators to reach their audience without going through an opaque algorithm; and in search engines, exact matches for search queries would be shown before sponsored results, rather than afterwards.[8]
  • The second is the right of exit, where users of a platform can easily go elsewhere if they are dissatisfied with it. For social media, this requires interoperability, countering the network effects that "lock in" users and prevent market competition between platforms. For digital media platforms, it means enabling users to switch platforms without losing the content they purchased that is locked by digital rights management.[8]
Alas, enshittification proliferates exponentially throughout contemporary society. (Of course it does.)

Digital platforms were the beginning, but hardly the end,

What to do?

Copilot
I am not a neo-Luddite, but I can certainly tell you about them! 🤖

Neo-Luddism is a philosophy that opposes many forms of modern technology. The term Luddite is often used pejoratively to describe people with technophobic leanings. The name itself is rooted in the historical legacy of the English Luddites, who were active between 1811 and 1817.

While the original Luddites were primarily concerned with the economic implications of technological advancements during the Industrial Revolution, Neo-Luddites have a broader and more holistic distrust of technological progress. Here are some key points about Neo-Luddism:
  1. Technology Skepticism: Neo-Luddites resist modern technologies and advocate for a return to simpler, more primitive levels of technology. They may passively abandon certain technologies, harm those who produce environmentally harmful technology, or even sabotage technology.
  2. Holistic Concerns: Neo-Luddism extends beyond economic considerations. It focuses on the impact of technology on individuals, communities, and the environment. Neo-Luddites insist on applying the precautionary principle to new technologies, emphasizing the need for safety testing before widespread adoption.
  3. Future Vision: Neo-Luddism calls for slowing down or even stopping the development of new technologies. Instead of industrial capitalism, it envisions small-scale agricultural communities (similar to the Amish or the Chipko movement in Nepal and India) as models for the future.
  4. Chellis Glendinning’s Manifesto: In 1990, Chellis Glendinning published her “Notes towards a Neo-Luddite manifesto.” She described Neo-Luddites as 20th-century citizens who question the prevailing modern worldview that unbridled technology represents progress. Glendinning opposes technologies that she deems destructive to communities or driven by materialistic and rationalistic values.
So, while I’m not a Neo-Luddite, I’m here to assist you with any other questions you might have! 😊12345

*The American Dialect Society selected "enshittification" as its 2023 Word of the Year.[9][10]

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: caz16

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Iran has launched a drone attack on Israel from inside its own territory

This is serious shit people. It is the first time Iran has directly attacked Israel. Previously it worked through proxy terrorist groups.

:eek2:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Iran has launched a drone attack on Israel from inside its own territory

This is serious shit people. It is the first time Iran has directly attacked Israel. Previously it worked through proxy terrorist groups.

:eek2:
Israel bombing the Iranian Embassy wasn't the smartest plan. What a mess, too many innocents being killed. This world sucks with terrible leaders.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin Hope you and your loved ones are ok. My heart goes out to Australia ❤️

Thanks Ali. Terrible events up in Sydney. And all so senseless. Psychological disorder, probably mixed with drugs, inadequate health and welfare services, plus the copycat effect of seeing more and more of this sort of thing in the global media, and this is what we get. Very sad.

Reactions: caz16

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Israel bombing the Iranian Embassy wasn't the smartest plan. What a mess, too many innocents being killed. This world sucks with terrible leaders.
This sh-- is getting real. Our family has a contingency plan in case of an attack on the U.S. I just texted my girls to confirm that they have this at the ready. I generally am not one to overreact, but the state of affairs around the globe has me terrified.

Mods, my apologies if this post is out of bounds.

Reactions: sarge88 and Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad