GDT: We’re not in Dallas anymore CAR@DAL

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah that’s a classic “judging the result” kind of play.

9 times out of 10 that pass gets through and TT finishes into the empty net.

THEN 8 times out of 10 the resulting odd man break doesn’t result in a goal the way it did.

End of the day we’re pissed because of the result. Only reason Stefan’s empty net flub is memorable is because of how Hemsky scored right after (not that this is remotely the same level of gaffe). Glad we got the win.

Yeah judging the result is kind of like a thing.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Do this same count for the number of times Dougie Hamilton collects the puck behind his goal with a forecheck bearing down on him and tell me how many times the opposition ends up with the puck. Just because you possess the puck behind the goal, it doesn't raise to expectation that it will be furthered to a teammate and the puck will exit the zone. How many times do we see the puck get rimmed around to the halfwall, where the opposing team's defenseman collects it and retains zone pressure?
Except Ned was frequently handling it with limited pressure against him compared to a defenseman. It's different in my mind. I think he can make smarter decisions and improve. I think this because I can see he has the skill set but wasn't getting the appropriate results. If your milage varies, so be it.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
My point is, if Heiskanen doesn’t make an incredible defensive play, we’re probably all talking about how great Aho is and the cerebral play to get it to TT. Whether Heiskanen is able or not able to make that play determines whether or not what Aho did is stupid?

I don't think I'd ever characterize a risky pass when one has the opportunity to pot an empty net goal "cerebral", regardless of outcome.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
My point is, if Heiskanen doesn’t make an incredible defensive play, we’re probably all talking about how great Aho is and the cerebral play to get it to TT. Whether Heiskanen is able or not able to make that play determines whether or not what Aho did is stupid?
I still agree with the premise that just because it would work, and maybe even frequently with a player of Aho's talent, doesn't make it the right play.

Trying to score, and either scoring or missing and getting it deep, is 100% the best play too make there. Or just hold onto it and continue advancing into the zone.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Also, I work right next to a fire department and the Stars are wearing their uniforms.

I mentioned the same thing to a friend last night during the game. :laugh:

IMG_4043.jpg

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That cerebral play ended up with a 4 on 2 odd man rush during a power play. Even if that didn't directly lead to a goal against, it was still bad. And it's even worse when you realize there was an open net, we were in the offensive zone with a clean look at net and instead passed backwards rather than taking the shot.

And that's not considering that there was less than a minute to go in a 1 goal game.

It was a bad play. Even if it worked, it was too risky to attempt. Just take the shot and ice the game, that is the correct play in that situation.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wasn't the one complaining about hitting. And I don't think I'm the only one on here who wishes the Canes were a little tougher.

You weren't? Maybe "hitting" isn't the right word, but you were complaining when the results were the team was winning.

Well if that's the case, then they REALLY don't have an excuse for allowing themselves to be ragdolled around by Dallas.

Which despite the disparity in hits last game I don't think was the case. But the first two games that certainly happened.

But like I've said before, it seems to be an organizational mindset to eschew aggression, because over 20 years, different GMs, coaches and even owners, that has been the way it is. And I think in a place like Boston or Philly, they just tell the players "look this is Philly. You're going to play tough"

I'd like another win but will be grateful if the team merely avoids being brutalized and injured by an angry Dallas squad that doesn't feel like it should be losing constantly to the Canes.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
it looked like the puck jumped on aho when he went to shoot it which gave heiskanen time to get in position to defend a shot, so aho tried to get cute and make a play to ice the game then and there by getting it to TT. heiskanen made a slavin-esque play and it ended up in the back of our net. high risk, high reward.. especially considering the context of being up one late in the third

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
I wasn't the one complaining about hitting. And I don't think I'm the only one on here who wishes the Canes were a little tougher.

I was the one complaining about the disparity in hits between the Canes and Stars in the previous game. In effect I was pointing out that the Canes are a soft team physically and tend to get pushed around like rag dolls when playing heavier teams like Dallas. Apparently Canes management agrees with my position as they just traded for Cedric Paquette who will add significant sand paper to our lineup. I rest my case...

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
it looked like the puck jumped on aho when he went to shoot it which gave heiskanen time to get in position to defend a shot, so aho tried to get cute and make a play to ice the game then and there by getting it to TT. heiskanen made a slavin-esque play and it ended up in the back of our net. high risk, high reward.. especially considering the context of being up one late in the third

You can see it clearly from the other camera angle (~ :23). By the time he would have corralled it, Heiskanen would have closed off the shooting angle easily. It was either go for the dagger or keep the puck going north in an effort to run time off the clock. I don't fault him too much for going for the former in an early regular season game.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I was the one complaining about the disparity in hits between the Canes and Stars in the previous game. In effect I was pointing out that the Canes are a soft team physically and tend to get pushed around like rag dolls when playing heavier teams like Dallas. Apparently Canes management agrees with my position as they just traded for Cedric Paquette who will add significant sand paper to our lineup. I rest my case...

Agree. I don't get why it is so controversial on here to advocate for the team to adopt a tougher mindset. Nobody is asking for another Kevin Westgarth or anything. But I think you can really see a disparity in say, the difference in attitude between Jamie Benn, who is a large, vicious Captain and Jordan Staal, who is a large, passive Captain (who happens to finally be scoring a lot).

I couldn't be happier with how skilled the team has become, and how well they are playing, and they have become tougher in certain aspects like play along the boards and forechecking. But we can't pretend that they didn't walk into the buzzsaw of Boston's physical aggression two years in a row in the postseason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Agree. I don't get why it is so controversial on here to advocate for the team to adopt a tougher mindset.

I don't think it's controversial at all. I was just being sarcastic and poking fun at the hypocrisy in your earlier statement where in the Aho case, you argued "results matter", but in the Dallas case, the results were that the Canes were 3-0 vs. Dallas and that's what should matter, yet you commented on about "being rag dolled".

No big deal.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Agree. I don't get why it is so controversial on here to advocate for the team to adopt a tougher mindset. Nobody is asking for another Kevin Westgarth or anything. But I think you can really see a disparity in say, the difference in attitude between Jamie Benn, who is a large, vicious Captain and Jordan Staal, who is a large, passive Captain (who happens to finally be scoring a lot).

I couldn't be happier with how skilled the team has become, and how well they are playing, and they have become tougher in certain aspects like play along the boards and forechecking. But we can't pretend that they didn't walk into the buzzsaw of Boston's physical aggression two years in a row in the postseason.

But it wasn't so much Boston physicalness that beat us, they just match up well against us. In fact you could argue 2 years ago the Caps and Isles were just as physical if not more so then the Bruins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad