WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Oilers in three (apparently).

This is one of the dumbest takes I've seen. First of all, teams all over the league are playing super tight hockey. We're not the only ones to be posting high teens shots for the entire game. The only exceptions are Winnipeg losing their minds against Colorado and just letting the Avs do whatever they want without resistance, and Oilers vs Kings. Unfortunately I didn't really watch any of that series, so I don't know how the kings f***ed up the 1-3-1. However the few bits I did see they seemed to be ok, I saw McDavid have to circle back 2-3 times in the neutral zone just to dump it in. So I'm assuming they shat the bed on PK, but I'm not sure. Our PK is hot.

The number of blocked shots the Preds had against us was insane, we had a ton of shot attempts and actually with better angles and positioning as the series went on. Those shots will find their way to goal against the Oilers.

I also don't think the Oilers will be nearly as good at in-zone defence, and I don't think they'll give us as many problems on their forecheck or in the neutral zone.

Skinner at his best is IMO above average. He sometimes moves well for someone his size, and then he doesn't. Sometimes he is good at tracking and then suddenly he's not. It always makes me suspicious when they show a "highlight" pack and I think they're all saves that the goalie should be making. And that's what I see from Skinner right now in the postseason on Sportscenter and down the stretch in the regular season. He also had two stretches where he struggled this year, once at the start where the team was a shitshow, and then again at the end when they were playing better not on that torrid streak. That's telling to me.

Weird thig is the Preds were actually a pretty mediocre defensive team during the season, not sure why the Canucks had so much trouble, but they obviously game planned us really well.

Believe the Oilers were actually a marginally better defensive team than Nashville for the regular season.

Fortunately, I doubt the Oilers have the intention, or the personnel, to use the Preds game plan.

They also don’t have Saros, thankfully, who was really starting to heat up later in that series.
That's the thing, Brunette was not coaching this style of game during the regular season, they were up tempo and chance generation style. They tried that in the early games and we just owned them in the neutral zone so he reined it in and they became a heavy forecheck/shot blocking team. That was super impressive, and makes me think that Brunette could actually win a cup with the right team. So many coaches go far with one philosophy but are unable to adjust and adapt in the playoffs (ironically, including Brunette himself in his one Panthers stint where they ran into TBL).

But yeah, the Oilers are much more likely to go AV/Bowness and refuse to adapt. Maybe Knoblauch will be their first guy who can actually coach in the playoffs but I'll believe it when I see it. Their team is stronger this year up front but the same on defence, so it's not like they have a flawless roster composition. There are weaknesses that we can prey on.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not going to lie...I would love Brad Marchand on our team. Just one of those players that always shows up.
Sorry, but I can't agree. Sure he competes hard and has been a legit MVP for the Bruins.

But watching him try and 'low-bridge' some of those Leafs players in this series reminds you of what a dirty player he can be. I shudder to think how many players he's put out of the lineup over the years.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Just about every pundit writing off the Canucks.....which is a little hard to understand.

Sure the Oilers have the big-two of McDavid and Draisaitl; and complimentary scoring from Hyman and blueline scoring from Bouchard. But the Canucks have 100-point centre-men in Pettersson and Miller; along with the presumptive Norris Trophy winner in Hughes.

Canucks also swept the season series, and three of those wins were before their big additions of Lindholm and Zadorov. If the Canucks can find a way to stay out of the box and make this a five-on-five series, they've got a shot.
... And this is a good thing. All the pressure's on Edmonton.

There's no way the Oilers - who see themselves as a contender - should possibly lose to an apparent team of frauds, after all.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Apparently Bouchard has cleaned up his disastrous defensive plays this year. Still love seeing those clips of him from years past that were jaw droppingly bad, but apparently those are less often these days, plus his offensive play is pretty dam good

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Apparently Bouchard has cleaned up his disastrous defensive plays this year. Still love seeing those clips of him from years past that were jaw droppingly bad, but apparently those are less often these days, plus his offensive play is pretty dam good
Interesting thing about Bouchard is that he's -12 in 15 career games against the Canucks.

Curious to see if the Canucks can continue to exploit him at even strength. They clearly have a book on him.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana and M2Beezy

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I know we love to chirp Bouchard but he's definitely came a long ways last couple seasons. Big part of the Oilers nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad