WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
But why wouldn’t you just bet $10K at a betting site where you can get the Canucks at 30%?
Very good question.

I have never placed a bet on a gambling site. I usually bet with friends to make a point about something. I mostly gamble on elections, where the outcome really matters. The money doesn't matter to me, it is the point being made that matters.

In 2016 I was in Hong Kong and I committed to giving a business associate $10K if Trump won (this was after the Access Hollywood tape). Trump won. He refused the money as he had not put up anything. We negotiated and I wound up donating $1500 US to a cancer foundation in his name.

So, I was just making a point. I haven't even looked at the odds. But I would make the bet if he wanted. (Which is why I always stipulate an amount in the offer...it would be meaningless if he accepted and I said, Okay....how about $2?)

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Canucks are in no way favorites in this series. But the narrative around the team and the Nashville series is a bit overblown and Edmonton's series vs the Kings is also being swept under the rug.

The Canucks vs Nashville, the Canucks had 53.33% xGF%, while Edmonton had 47.91 xGF% against the kings. Oilers had 42.66 CF% also, vs the Canucks 52.45.

Vancouver underperformed their expected goals (8 to 11.87), while Edmonton overperformed their expected goals (12 to 9.86).

If the Kings did not have such a poor special teams showing, that series would go to 7. The narrative around the Canucks is that they were getting hounded possession-wise because of the low shots. But that's simply not true. The penalty differential between the Kings and Oilers were +7 to the Oilers, while the Canucks were -8.

If the Canucks play more disciplined and play more structured, they stand a serious chance of beating the Oilers.
Not sure it’s a discipline issue, the refs just apply a different standards toward us.

Just about every pundit writing off the Canucks.....which is a little hard to understand.

Sure the Oilers have the big-two of McDavid and Draisaitl; and complimentary scoring from Hyman and blueline scoring from Bouchard. But the Canucks have 100-point centre-men in Pettersson and Miller; along with the presumptive Norris Trophy winner in Hughes.

Canucks also swept the season series, and three of those wins were before their big additions of Lindholm and Zadorov. If the Canucks can find a way to stay out of the box and make this a five-on-five series, they've got a shot.
We weren’t suppose to be this good, every single media person thought this is their year and then we came out of nowhere and essentially “stole” the pacific.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
It’s weird - I can remember so many little things about the 1992 Jets series but virtually nothing about that Oilers series. I know I watched every game and I remember hating Steve Smith but that’s about it.

I didn’t think I could possibly be cheering harder against the Leafs but there it is.

I don’t understand the Boston hate any more. They aren’t a rival, they’ve never been a rival, and outside of 2 weeks 13 years ago they’ve been one of the most totally irrelevant teams to us for 50+ years.

As for 2011, I hold a lot more hate for the league and Brian Burke and the Edmonton/Toronto media than I do for the actual Bruins.
I used to love the Bruins....Bobby Orr, Borque, Neely (sigh). Then in 2011 we had Marchand and Chara along with the weasel Mike Milbury lying about how dirty the Sedins were all the time. That moved them (semi-) permanently into the 2'nd most hated team right behind Philadelphia, (who will never be displaced from 1st position thanks to the scumbad Bobby Clarke and coach Fred Shero)

Reactions: Indiana

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Just about every pundit writing off the Canucks.....which is a little hard to understand.

Sure the Oilers have the big-two of McDavid and Draisaitl; and complimentary scoring from Hyman and blueline scoring from Bouchard. But the Canucks have 100-point centre-men in Pettersson and Miller; along with the presumptive Norris Trophy winner in Hughes.

Canucks also swept the season series, and three of those wins were before their big additions of Lindholm and Zadorov. If the Canucks can find a way to stay out of the box and make this a five-on-five series, they've got a shot.
Unfortunately, we don't have a good chance of winning this series if Pettersson isn't even 50% better than he's been. I sort of hope that the Oilers playing a bit more open gives him more opportunities to create and finish, but it can't be stated enough how we nearly lose that first round series without his scoring.

Reactions: Indiana

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I used to love the Bruins....Bobby Orr, Borque, Neely (sigh). Then in 2011 we had Marchand and Chara along with the weasel Mike Milbury lying about how dirty the Sedins were all the time. That moved them (semi-) permanently into the 2'nd most hated team right behind Philadelphia, (who will never be displaced from 1st position thanks to the scumbad Bobby Clarke and coach Fred Shero)

Mike Milbury getting a job in broadcasting is only the second biggest “what the f***” of his employment career, second only to the idiots who decided to make him a GM.

Guy is a raving, screaming moron no matter where he is. That he got a platform to spew his idiocy grinds my gears.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
What a stressful series with Nashville. They were such a tough defensive team. Relieved that's over.

Win or lose, it should be a lot more fun playing a run and gun team like the Oilers. Also, the Preds series lacked emotion, as the two teams didn't "hate" each other. This series is going to be emotional as hell. :naughty:

Weird thing is the Preds were actually a pretty mediocre defensive team during the season, not sure why the Canucks had so much trouble, but they obviously game planned us really well.

Believe the Oilers were actually a marginally better defensive team than Nashville for the regular season.

Fortunately, I doubt the Oilers have the intention, or the personnel, to use the Preds game plan.

They also don’t have Saros, thankfully, who was really starting to heat up later in that series.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Mike Milbury getting a job in broadcasting is only the second biggest “what the f***” of his employment career, second only to the idiots who decided to make him a GM.

Guy is a raving, screaming moron no matter where he is. That he got a platform to spew his idiocy grinds my gears.

Good riddance he's off the air, good riddance he's been disbarred from the NHL Old Boys Club too. No one will touch him with a 10 foot pole.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Both you and @WTG are optimistic about this series and that in turn makes ME more optimistic.

Perhaps I'm selling our team a bit short, but I'm having a tough time seeing us win this series unless we somehow level up our play across the board.

Maybe I'm not giving Nashville enough credit for their defensive game, because our offense looked so neutered against them, which just won't fly against the Oilers; who by the way are much more better defensively than we give them credit for.

I hope the refs just swallow their whistles and let us play because that'll allow our "small D" to impose their will on the games.

buttman must be in shambles rn
Yeah it's not going to be easy. We do have to up our game but I think stylistically it isn't a problem...in theory.

The team is learning a lot about themselves on this run, both the players and Tocchet. We do have to up our level across the board. McDavid can break open games by himself, so we have to maintain discipline. Guys chasing hits are going to be exposed and we'll get punished with speed coming back the other way.

We can't take dumb penalties because we can basically neutralize them with defense only to get scored on by their PP.

Reactions: Indiana and Flik

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Unfortunately, we don't have a good chance of winning this series if Pettersson isn't even 50% better than he's been. I sort of hope that the Oilers playing a bit more open gives him more opportunities to create and finish, but it can't be stated enough how we nearly lose that first round series without his scoring.
Yes: Although the canucks can hopefully limit his offensive more than the Kings did, we can still probably expect McDavid to score close to 2ppg in this series. If Pettersson is only managing 0.5ppg the canucks will have problems.

Reactions: mossey3535

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Pettersson has looked better the last few, I’ll give him that. 3 pts in 4 games etc. But there was really nowhere to go but up.

But yes, I have very little faith in him going back to being a game breaker all of a sudden after having been a ~60pt forward averaged over the last ~40 games.

Maybe a 30% chance sounds right, which is about the odds the line is giving the Canucks to win the series.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA

Wow did not know this cool.

Our PK has been such a thing of beauty. So much that I wouldn't mind if we took a few liberties in hitting to hurt the Oilers, and just wear them down slowly.

Now course this strategy falls apart if the Oiler PP continues to click at such a rate, but if we can get into a rhythm and shut down their PP, I'd not be surprised if we start getting chippier and chipper.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Our PK has been such a thing of beauty. So much that I wouldn't mind if we took a few liberties in hitting to hurt the Oilers, and just wear them down slowly.

Now course this strategy falls apart if the Oiler PP continues to click at such a rate, but if we can get into a rhythm and shut down their PP, I'd not be surprised if we start getting chippier and chipper.
Nashville's powerplay was unusually pathetic. Thinking that the Canucks' pk could continue to operate anywhere close to as efficiently against the Oilers is a mistake.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Good riddance he's off the air, good riddance he's been disbarred from the NHL Old Boys Club too. No one will touch him with a 10 foot pole.

His sexist comments towards the Sedins during the 2011 run should have gotten him fired immediately, but well, mouth breathers gonna mouth breath. Milbury is such a piece of shit, so glad he's gone.

Nashville's powerplay was unusually pathetic. Thinking that the Canucks' pk could continue to operate anywhere close to as efficiently against the Oilers is a mistake.

For sure Nashville's PP was awful, but our PK has been trending upwards most of the back half of the season and really started becoming elite once Joshua returned from his injury. I think it's something we can and should rely on until proven otherwise against Edmonton.

Which may turn out to be half of game 1 lol

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Oddsmakers have the Oilers as heavy favourites in this one...Three things have to happen for the Canucks to succeed here..Skinner has to revert to being inconsistent (Canucks just faced a superior goalie in Saros), and the Canucks need to find their offence.(Pettersson).

Last, but not least, the Canucks have to stay out the box..The Oilers PP is lethal,..even the Kings , with one of the leagues best PK's, had no antidote for it.
basically they have to stop mcdrai and then they win the series. that includes the pk.

the odds makes me think there is inside baseball info out there on canucks players. maybe hughes is also hurt.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
His sexist comments towards the Sedins during the 2011 run should have gotten him fired immediately, but well, mouth breathers gonna mouth breath. Milbury is such a piece of shit, so glad he's gone.

For sure Nashville's PP was awful, but our PK has been trending upwards most of the back half of the season and really started becoming elite once Joshua returned from his injury. I think it's something we can and should rely on until proven otherwise against Edmonton.

Which may turn out to be half of game 1 lol
No...how about we just assume the Oilers have a great powerplay, and not try to play with fire by taking a lot of penalties? :dunno:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Prudent, but I don't see how we can grind out a series win without pushing the physical play a little bit to make them uncomfortable. We'd lose a track meet almost for sure.

I think pretty much every post season team’s game plan involves finishing all checks possible on other teams’ top players. Fairly safe to say. Both Vancouver and Edmonton will be making a concerted effort of it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It’s weird - I can remember so many little things about the 1992 Jets series but virtually nothing about that Oilers series. I know I watched every game and I remember hating Steve Smith but that’s about it.

no clear memories for me either but i think tikkanen ate rookie bure for lunch

Reactions: MS and mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad