GDT: WCQR | Game 2 | "Please Show Up" | Blackhawks @ Oilers | 8.3.20 | 8:30PM | SN/NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
Put up or shut up! Straighten up and fly right. We need to play like we have a burr in our saddle! A fly in our ointment!A closed mouth gathers no feet!A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Skate to where the puck is going to be,not where it has been.
You can't learn to swim without getting in the water. You can't put toothpaste back in the tube, you can't take knickers off a bare arse!
Get to work soon or it may get to be quitting time.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The only thing that had to do with Tippett is starting Smith. Its the one blame that could be laid at his feet. The line rearrangement was an attempt at getting 2 lines going. I think its a wrong move, but its also product of what limited top shelf players we have. Our big TDL help was getting AA and Ennis and we lost a Gagner in the process. That along with Green, not even wanting to play, could be chalked up to Holland not giving the club any real help. The team was better before the TDL. Thats on a GM anytime.

Tippet has a limited number of players he can play topsix. One line it going to be short any day, regardless how you configure. I'll mention as well that the Drai line worked as well as it did because it coincided with Nuge's annual "Im on" phase. The guy appears to have 1-2mths each season where he's knocking it out of the ballpark. The same player can spend 2-3mths looking ordinary. Guess which one we got in first game.

As much as I critiqued McD, his linemates were horseshit in the first game. No coaching makes up for topline players not even bringing it, not even showing up.

We load up the first line with 22M worth of contract and they get owned giving up 4GA. Doesn't matter whatever anybody else is doing you're gonna lose that game.

Kassian was absolutely murdering plays in that first game. Every time he got the puck it was on a Chicago stick within a couple seconds. It took McDavid half a year or so to learn how to play with Lucic, to just never pass to Looch and do everything himself. He hasn't figured that out yet with Kassian and there isn't enough time left in this season for him to get there.

Nuge was pretty invisible on the 1st line too. Nuge needs other guys making plays (Drai) on his line and winning board battles (Yams). When the other winger is playing like a goof winning zero puck battles and throwing pucks away, it's pretty hopeless.

Not much time left to figure this out. And definitely a shame where AA has ended up in Tippett's depth chart. I see few options aside from loading up Drai's line now and just letting McDavid try to go on solo missions on his line.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The heart says he'll go with Koskinen but the head says he goes back to Smith because of loyalty and see if he bounces back.

The thing is, Smith has sucked against Chicago his entire career. The hockey reference splits stats page says he's 12-11-1 with a save percentage just over .900 and GAA over 3.00. This isn't including the game on Saturday.

Koskinen has three games played against them, is 1-0-0 with a .966 and 1.21 GAA. Incredibly small sample size as he's faced only around 60 shots total against them. I'd give him the start to see if he can dial it in and keep up the stingy play. The KHL is a different beast than the NHL but his playoff stats over there were crazy.
Koskinen Mikko:Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What are the odds Smith starts? 50/50? "He looked sharp at practice, really dialed in."

09050FE3-F034-4BA1-9CE0-3AAE3E0A05FC.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So just as illustration of how off the game plan the Oilers were they gave up half a dozen goals in first game. The Hawks didn't need anymore and called off the dogs. The next worst GA of any team,any game, is 4. Multiple of the games featured stellar D play and even shutouts. The Oilers had no worry about being in own zone and figured they'd run up the score. Pretty clearly a deaf ears (again) situation was going on. Lets be clear too. This assembly of players doesn't listen to anybody. This is a have to learn the hard way bunch and always have been.

In anycase Columbus shut out Toronto and Minny shut out Vancouver and I got some joy out of both of those games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The heart says he'll go with Koskinen but the head says he goes back to Smith because of loyalty and see if he bounces back.

The thing is, Smith has sucked against Chicago his entire career. The hockey reference splits stats page says he's 12-11-1 with a save percentage just over .900 and GAA over 3.00. This isn't including the game on Sunday.

Koskinen has three games played against them, is 1-0-0 with a .966 and 1.21 GAA. Incredibly small sample size as he's faced only around 60 shots total against them. I'd give him the start to see if he can dial it in and keep up the stingy play. The KHL is a different beast than the NHL but his playoff stats over there were crazy.
Koskinen Mikko:Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Good post. Some goalies just don't match up that well against certain teams. That said Smith knocked a SC dynasty Hawks team on its ass in 2012. He was great in that series. So he hasn't always sucked against Chicago.

As much as you are correct that the current old version of Smith isn't right for Chicago Koskinen isn't all too great against gunslingers either. We have two goalies that are susceptible to excellent shots. This should be noted. Drai and McD beat these guys in practice and scrums regularly.

Reactions: iCanada

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So just as illustration of how off the game plan the Oilers were they gave up half a dozen goals in first game. The Hawks didn't need anymore and called off the dogs. The next worst GA of any team,any game, is 4. Multiple of the games featured stellar D play and even shutouts. The Oilers had no worry about being in own zone and figured they'd run up the score. Pretty clearly a deaf ears (again) situation was going on. Lets be clear too. This assembly of players doesn't listen to anybody. This is a have to learn the hard way bunch and always have been.

In anycase Columbus shut out Toronto and Minny shut out Vancouver and I got some joy out of both of those games.
You don't win many playoff games trying to run and gun and forgetting about defense.

Chicago's defense isnt very good outside of Keith but they focused on defense and put effort into it and they saw success on both sides of the ice.

If the Oil want to win anything of any sort they need to focus on defense and let the offense stem from there. I'm still almost offended with how bad Klefbom and Larsson were.

Reactions: KlefDown

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
You don't win many playoff games trying to run and gun and forgetting about defense.

Chicago's defense isnt very good outside of Keith but they focused on defense and put effort into it and they saw success on both sides of the ice.

If the Oil want to win anything of any sort they need to focus on defense and let the offense stem from there. I'm still almost offended with how bad Klefbom and Larsson were.
Larsson looks absolutely clueless out there. I'm not sure how he fits our team in the future.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
At least it’s not a matinee game. Maybe they’ll actually show up.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
8:30... EIGHT THIRTY... 20:30...
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Win or loss I just want to see Kassian earn his chops

Reactions: snipes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events