Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM5 | Canucks lose to Predators | 1-2 (Zadorov) | Back to Nashville

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
By the end of the game, he did end up setting up a few plays but a sort of off game by Miller. Not great defensively and ROR took his lunch money in the faceoff circle. He and Boeser have obviously been great overall this series so hard to knock them here. I think Suter has had played strong overall but his lack of scoring ability really brings down the line.

Pettersson line had a pretty good game overall - skated well, were physical, created a decent amount offensively. Petey's skating looked 10x better which is a positive sign, roof would have blown off the place had he sniped on that 2-on-1. But "close" unfortunately doesn't count in the playoffs and he's yet to show up on the scoresheet 5 games in. Still way too weak on the puck.

Outside of Pettersson, Hronek has probably been the most disappointing Canuck in this series. He does a good job of playing off Hughes and keeping plays alive in the o-zone as they've done all season, but other than that he hasn't really contributed much. Short sample size but management may have to consider deferring his money to Zadorov lol.

The guy has obviously been great all year but an absolute boneheaded penalty by Joshua late.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Just be happy they're in the playoffs and got lucky they drew Nashville. Would've been annihilated by almost every other team in the west by now

That was the objective since Game 1 of the season. Make the playoffs.

Just incredibly frustrating to watch this type of low event shit hockey though, especially when you see teams like Vegas, Colorado, Edmonton and Dallas generating offensive chances along with scoring.

You keep waiting for this team to breakout and generate offense but it's the same boring shit. Part of that is due to a coach who has issues adjusting in a game. The other part is watching your talent just no show most of the game.

Reactions: Jay26

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
You just know the refs were just waiting to give the preds another powerplay with their season on the line after canucks scored

Which is why that Joshua hit was so f***ing stupid.

It wasn't really a penalty, but come on. It's the 3rd period and you're up by 1 goal. You have to know that as a player. He got ahead of himself and the team paid for it.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Mikheyev had a great game. His speed made an impact and he generated some good looks, but he is simply not a top 6 forward. Would’ve loved that effort in our bottom 6. Hoglander had a nice start, but is mostly getting left behind. His motor just does not have the same impact in a heavy playoff game. Petey had some moments, but ultimately gets nothing done. That line is absolutely killing the team right now. The Miller line can’t do it all.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Miller, Hughes, Pettersson can only do so much with this anemic winger group.

Mikheyev, Suter, Hoglander in the top 6 is absolutely killing us. They don’t provide offense by themselves. They are severely carried by their centerman + Hughes to do all the offense for them. Pettersson made 2 real nice neutral zone plays to Mikheyev and all he does is take a 40ft wrister right into the pads of Saros. Hoglander can’t play a cycling game. He’s bad at handling the puck. And Suter just doesn’t have the skill to keep up with Miller or Boeser.

Joshua relies on Garland too much to make the play for him. Garland is a great play driver but he’s a middle 6 talent at best and he is prone to getting completely neutralized by a team that dominates the neutral zone game like Nashville.

Mikheyev is the most useless forward on this team since Eriksson and Schaller.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I finally saw a good replay of that goal and watched it over and over again and now I am realizing that we may have just blown the series by not challenging that call.

I thought Blueger's momentum is what knocked it in—no, he actually saw that puck was under Silovs and moving towards net and gets his stock behind the puck under Silovs albiet weakly, momentum of the puck is now stopped. It's not until the NSH player comes jackknifing into the net with his stick and shoves the whole pile forward just enough for the puck to go into the net.

Brutal non-challenge, but it's not like there isn't enough blame to go around for the completely anemic offence/PP for this one. Really needed to squeak that one out but a stupid hit in a close game gave the refs just the right opportunity to impact the game and now the momentum has swung.

Well obviously they gave the goal to Josi and I don't know if he touched it, he just rammed Silovs into the goal.

Reactions: Regal

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Tocchet refuses to challenge anything. It's like he's scared to embarrass the refs or something. Very frustrating.

Hmm, not sure I agree. If I recall correctly, we had like 4-5 successful challenges in a row in the early part of the season.

So much so that our team's video review crew was being lauded for it.

Reactions: Nomobo and Szechwan

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Mikheyev had a great game. His speed made an impact and he generated some good looks, but he is simply not a top 6 forward. Would’ve loved that effort in our bottom 6. Hoglander had a nice start, but is mostly getting left behind. His motor just does not have the same impact in a heavy playoff game. Petey had some moments, but ultimately gets nothing done. That line is absolutely killing the team right now. The Miller line can’t do it all.

Really need to add some punch to the top 6 winger positions in the offseason. Not going to get anywhere with what we currently have.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I don't know why people think Tocchet doesn't challenge 'cause he doesn't want to go against the refs.

He's made it clear several times that he just trusts in his video coaches.

Now if you think he should go with his gut more instead of listening to the video guys, that's a different argument.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The worst part is that there's a 3 day break before the next game, that's 4 days (game day included) where the team could've been at home, resting.

Instead this one single flight to Nashville is longer than any of the Eastern Conference travel times for their entire series.

Time off was sorely needed for this team. Hughes needs rest.

They also needed time to practice their godawful PP.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
stupid joshua penalty. tocchet didnt challenge that tying goal. preds player pushed silovs. need more finish.. they shot themselves in the foot to close out

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

The dude has literally 1 goal in 55 games now, I mean that's like a fringe 4th liner like PDG level of production. He's a fourth liner.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Problem is people's expectations that this team can go far. This is a bubble team that got off to a lucky 1st half hot streak.

Coaching is not great and top end talent doesn't stack up to the Mackinnons and McDavids
Just be happy they're in the playoffs and got lucky they drew Nashville. Would've been annihilated by almost every other team in the west by now
I think the expectations were fair given how this team looked for most of the season. What we're seeing is a shock and that's already taking into account that they were worse in the 2nd half of the regular season. I don't think any of us expected such a neutered team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad