Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM06 | Canucks defeat Predators | 1-0 (Suter) | SILOVS! SUTER! HEROES!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First 'real' playoff series win in 13 years. It's been a long time.

I was frustrated with Tocchet's inability/unwillingness to change things up through the series but - as much as I still think some of the lines could have been sorted out better - he does deserve credit for sticking to the game plan and making it work against a very well organized opposition defense. We ended up being the better team in 4 of 6 games and won 4 of 6 games even if they weren't all the same ones.

Silovs is weird. He looked great to close out 22-23 even before the WCs stuff and then really seemed to regress when he went back to the AHL this year. Has always been prone to weak long-range goals and maybe it's just a focus thing and that disappears when he goes up levels and there's more pressure.

Miller-Suter-Boeser were outstanding in this game, really carried the team, and that goal was well-earned. Would love to know the shot attempts with that line on the ice because it felt really lopsided.

Pettersson was maybe a bit better and nice that he was involved in the GWG but 0 primary points in a 6-game series is just ... ugh, and it's a hell of a thing that we managed to win said series.

Mikheyev with Pettersson simply can't continue.

All 6 D were terrific from start to finish in this series and to me they're the biggest story. Nashville had even more trouble scoring than we did, and it was against backup goalies and our defense group was brilliant. Especially on the PK. which was absolutely fantastic - what a difference 18 months makes on that front.

22-13 PP advantage for Nashville in the series is *INSANE* when you consider our advantage in possession and zone time over the series.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
While Silovs is very deservedly the king of the town right now. My boy Demko had similar numbers while not playing in front of Cole, Blueger, Lindholm, Z and Soucy though. Credit to Allvin there.
That was 4 years ago and he's hurt at present.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

I was frustrated with Tocchet's inability/unwillingness to change things up through the series but - as much as I still think some of the lines could have been sorted out better - he does deserve credit for sticking to the game plan and making it work against a very well organized opposition defense. We ended up being the better team in 4 of 6 games and won 4 of 6 games even if they weren't all the same ones.

Silovs is weird. He looked great to close out 22-23 even before the WCs stuff and then really seemed to regress when he went back to the AHL this year. Has always been prone to weak long-range goals and maybe it's just a focus thing and that disappears when he goes up levels and there's more pressure.

Miller-Suter-Boeser were outstanding in this game, really carried the team, and that goal was well-earned. Would love to know the shot attempts with that line on the ice because it felt really lopsided.

Pettersson was maybe a bit better and nice that he was involved in the GWG but 0 primary points in a 6-game series is just ... ugh, and it's a hell of a thing that we managed to win said series.

All 6 D were terrific from start to finish in this series and to me they're the biggest story. Nashville had even more trouble scoring than we did, and it was against backup goalies and our defense group was brilliant. Especially on the PK. which was absolutely fantastic - what a difference 18 months makes on that front.

22-13 PP advantage for Nashville in the series is *INSANE* when you consider our advantage in possession and zone time over the series.

Didn't love Soucy and Hronek in particular but they weren't "bad" and I would agree that how the D-men played as a whole was monstrous for us. I've never been a fan of Myers and was never in favour of re-signing him past this season but he was excellent all series.

Offensively, Miller and Boeser absolutely carried the team. They had one bad game, and the Lindholm line did chip in with some huge goals, but the Miller line had a consistent push throughout the series and they were the two guys that posed the most danger whenever we had a man advantage.

It'll be interesting to see if they change anything up for game 1 vs EDM.

Reactions: Indiana and Hodgy

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Oh Joyous ... was a tad nervous there for a bit of that.

Glad we pulled it off. As I said about 10 times during this series, some puck luck needed.

Pretty much a toss up with the oil. they have McGod and Drai, and we have. a better line up the rest of the way. I hope Demko gets healthy, but Silovs has been fantastic.

This where the advantage of having big Z, Myers and Soucy will start to show.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Goalie stats tend to tank in the minor because of team defence

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Russian Fridge is going nuts there, geez. What did them pads ever do to him?
:laugh:

Dude just loves hitting things.

Funniest part is when he checks afterwards to make sure he didn't accidentally actually smash the shinpad into oblivion. lol.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Somehow we didn’t get 1 PP this game, like wtf how

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Oilers had 25 more goals this season than Nashville, and they gave up fewer. Nashville wasn't a slouch offensively, and the Canucks shut them down very effectively. But we know Edmonton will be a different beast altogether. Canucks will have to play much better.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Hughes, Hronek, Soucy, Myers, Zadorov, Cole won that series.
hronek didnt do shit in this series. didnt shoot zeros across the board and minus 4.

i fell asleep during the first two periods. 0-0 preds were outshooting them by 8-3 in the first period. pk was good. that 4 min minor on boeser was pure bullshit. the guy basically skated into boeser and hhe braced himself. silovs is calm as cucumber. swallow up rebounds nothing fazes him. hopefully petterson wakes the f*** up in the series against the oilers. all will be forgotten if he puts up points against them in round 2.clean slate.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Canucks pulled the Preds into their type of series: Low shots, down low possession and layering in front of the net.

Let's see if it holds for the Oilers?

Thoughts on the series and game:

- I think Tocchet's system and his demeanor are responsible for the low shots for. The players are so tight and conservative that Tocchet is yearning for offensive freedom, not realizing that his dogmatic approach is what holds them back from that creativity.

- On the flipside, they've found a defensive form that I didn't see in them. That's due to Tocchet. What a change he has instilled in the team.

- The PP was erratic and the PK was a wall. I'd be fine with this paradigm for the next series.

- Pettersson and his line remain in neutral. He's probably injured, but it doesn't matter now. He must get it done. They were fortunate to win despite his performance.

- Myers and Zadorov were better than I had anticipated. Zadorov almost lead the charge at times. Bodes well.

- Hronek, Mikheyev and Hoglander were disappointing. Before this series began, I thought Garland and Hoglander would excel, but when the game got faster and the checking harder, they weren't as good. Joshua also fell off. Room for improvement.

- Boeser exemplifies what it means to have skill and creativity vs not having it. Fitting that he made that play to Suter (what a signing).

- Lindholm, ironically, turned out to be very useful because Pettersson went MIA. Was so good in the middle that he could be a weapon against the Oilers. Shut down the O'Reilly line imo.

- Silovs... I'm impressed. It was the right call to play him over DeSmith. He shows a poise that sets him apart.

On the other side:

I really like Nashville's system. They are situationally aggressive and the play wide first, and then to the middle on the rush. If all else fails, they collapse and block a lot of shots. This system could work very well for the Canucks if they had better scoring wingers/PMDs because they could rush more and rely on Demko to cover up the change in aggression. Just something I mused about while watching the series.

Onto the Oilers...

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
So did Allvin and Rutherford just calmly nod their heads with satisfaction and leave the box again? Any emotion captured on camera?

Reactions: Red

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So did Allvin and Rutherford just calmly nod their heads with satisfaction and leave the box again? Any emotion captured on camera?
I was totally shocked by how implacable both guys appeared to be in their box at the Bridgestone Area, There wasn't even much of a change of expression when Suter scored the back-breaking goal.

I guess they've seen all this a 100 times before......but I'm assuming that neither guy is all that demonstrative.

I was totally shocked by how implacable both guys appeared to be in their box at the Bridgestone Area, There wasn't even much of a change of expression when Suter scored the back-breaking goal.

I guess they've seen all this a 100 times before......but I'm assuming that neither guy is all that demonstrative.

I was totally shocked by how implacable both guys appeared in their box at the Bridgestone Arena. There wasn't even much of a change in expression when Suter scored that back-breaking goal.

I guess they've seen it all a 100 times before.....but I'm assuming that neither guys is all that demonstrative.

I was totally shocked by how implacable both guys appeared in their box at the Bridgestone Arena. There wasn't even much of a change in expression when Suter scored that back-breaking goal.

I guess they've seen it all a 100 times before.....but I'm assuming that neither guys is all that demonstrative.

Reactions: Indiana

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
The Canucks pulled the Preds into their type of series: Low shots, down low possession and layering in front of the net.

Let's see if it holds for the Oilers?

Thoughts on the series and game:

- I think Tocchet's system and his demeanor are responsible for the low shots for. The players are so tight and conservative that Tocchet is yearning for offensive freedom, not realizing that his dogmatic approach is what holds them back from that creativity.

- On the flipside, they've found a defensive form that I didn't see in them. That's due to Tocchet. What a change he has instilled in the team.

- The PP was erratic and the PK was a wall. I'd be fine with this paradigm for the next series.

- Pettersson and his line remain in neutral. He's probably injured, but it doesn't matter now. He must get it done. They were fortunate to win despite his performance.

- Myers and Zadorov were better than I had anticipated. Zadorov almost lead the charge at times. Bodes well.

- Hronek, Mikheyev and Hoglander were disappointing. Before this series began, I thought Garland and Hoglander would excel, but when the game got faster and the checking harder, they weren't as good. Joshua also fell off. Room for improvement.

- Boeser exemplifies what it means to have skill and creativity vs not having it. Fitting that he made that play to Suter (what a signing).

- Lindholm, ironically, turned out to be very useful because Pettersson went MIA. Was so good in the middle that he could be a weapon against the Oilers. Shut down the O'Reilly line imo.

- Silovs... I'm impressed. It was the right call to play him over DeSmith. He shows a poise that sets him apart.

On the other side:

I really like Nashville's system. They are situationally aggressive and the play wide first, and then to the middle on the rush. If all else fails, they collapse and block a lot of shots. This system could work very well for the Canucks if they had better scoring wingers/PMDs because they could rush more and rely on Demko to cover up the change in aggression. Just something I mused about while watching the series.

Onto the Oilers...
Thought Hoglander played a hard series. Was giving as much as he got after the first game where he noticeably looked nervous with the puck.
He was the only player on that 💩 line doing anything that whole series. Mikheyev can’t handle the pressure- bobbled the puck all series, didn’t make space for himself or linemates once. Then proceeded to shoot straight at the goalies chest on his one chance. Petey is still fighting it and is generating next to nothing.
Without Hog that line would have done nothing in the o zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad