Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM06 | Canucks defeat Predators | 1-0 (Suter) | SILOVS! SUTER! HEROES!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Kings were probably a better team down the stretch, and a bit better on average through the season outside of the Preds hot streak. They do not have Saros or Josi, though.

Just noticed something, the last three seasons LAK got bounced in round 1 by EDM every single time.

And it got WORSE every single time, from 3-4, to 2-4, to 1-4 lmao. Just for this alone I'd give EDM some high fives.

Yeah, 131 my ass. Bet your players love doing that shit too.
:laugh:

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
During the last couple of shots our boys were playing superior form of sport that is a hybrid of American football and ice hockey.
Cole got up just to fall back down and Blueger just laid down between 3 Predators while trying to block Josis shot. Miller just tried to play goalie without a stick. And credit to Myers for going down to try and blocks Josis shot right after taking one of the balls.

• Haha
Reactions: David71

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Part of me knew this was coming. We've seen it so many times before. Patrick Roy, Cam Ward and Jordan Binnington being the most notable examples. Young goalies in the playoffs have this innate ability to rise above the immense pressure and deliver. Nobody expects anything from them.
The other thing is they haven't been scouted. And with so few ga, it makes the scouting more difficult. Not impossible, but much more difficult

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovofan

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Well Arty had a tough time after the WCs MVP performance. First he got divorced in September, that obviously is never easy, but his grandmother news would be the hardest one - she failed the Latvian language exam and it was all over news here (will not comment about politics, but we have difficult relationships with Russians) and there was even a chance she would get deported from country. Arty grandmother is the closest one to him.

Both these things happened right before the season started.
wow. latvian hockey players do have it common with russians (and belarusians) that they get married early by north american standards.

i hope it works out for his grandma.

i wonder if they earmarked that pick for a goalie.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
free agent rule of thumb: never give a guy suddenly killing it for his next contract a new one, just sit back and enjoy the ride

I think you need to have a modicum of caution too when signing a guy based on a playoff performance. For the record I want to re-sign Zadorov but I think about names like Fernado Pisani, Bryan Bickell etc.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Well Arty had a tough time after the WCs MVP performance. First he got divorced in September, that obviously is never easy, but his grandmother news would be the hardest one - she failed the Latvian language exam and it was all over news here (will not comment about politics, but we have difficult relationships with Russians) and there was even a chance she would get deported from country. Arty grandmother is the closest one to him.

Both these things happened right before the season started.
Wow divorced at 24!? And the grandmother affair sounds high stress as well. Amazing that he's bounced back from all this.

I knew guys like Blueger and Suter would pay dividends in the ploffs
Blueger was the total unsung hero of this game IMHO...

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
That was, unquestionably, the most stressful end to a hockey game since Game 7 vs Chicago. I think it took years off my life.

I can't believe they still had to contend with a final shot from Josi after that miraculous block by Myers. With all of that pressure, and Silovs scrambling with no stick, I think Josi buries that if it hits the net. As soon as it missed, you knew they didn't have enough time to throw another shot on goal.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I wonder if he’d play for free next year :sarcasm:
Maybe, but pretty sure the NHLPA will insist on at least league minimum. As will the league.

I am hoping he comes back at something like $2.25M x 3, but I'm sure he will get a better offer. But I suspect he has had his payday already, and doesn't want to move.

Edit - this is about Myers, if that isn't clear.

Reactions: B-rock and iceburg

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
wow. latvian hockey players do have it common with russians (and belarusians) that they get married early by north american standards.

i hope it works out for his grandma.

i wonder if they earmarked that pick for a goalie.

Wow divorced at 24!? And the grandmother affair sounds high stress as well. Amazing that he's bounced back from all this.

Blueger was the total unsung hero of this game IMHO...

The reason Silovs, Klimovich, and Podkolzin all got married very young is because they were coming to North America as teenagers/20 year olds and would be isolated. Marrying their high-school girlfriends is the only way they can bring someone over.

Reactions: Indiana and Rotang

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I was totally shocked by how implacable both guys appeared in their box at the Bridgestone Arena. There wasn't even much of a change in expression when Suter scored that back-breaking goal.

I loved it. You know the management team is going to make the hard decisions in the offseason to sign/not sign players without letting emotions influence their approach.

I guess they've seen it all a 100 times before.....but I'm assuming that neither guys is all that demonstrative.
I feel like I’ve seen this a few times before too.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
So happy to put this team in our Rearviewmirror (obligatory Pearl Jam reference). I hated this series and the way Nashville plays. Their ugly ass disgusting piss yellow jerseys and their stupidly annoying fans chanting endlessly, STFU. The officiating was disgraceful. The PP imbalance for a series as close as this one was inexcusable "Gary Bettman's NHL" in fine display as always. Three goals that shouldn't have been goals. F this series. Good riddance, Nashville.

elderly PHO behind the counter in a hick town

anyone have an image of JR (not) celebrating?

• Haha
Reactions: Jovofan

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Way too intense.
Every game felt like double ot the whole game. Relieved that's over.

Thirty seconds left one goal game, 6on4 preds advantage and Tyler Myers is first on the ice...

I was losing my mind. Might not have got it back.

The chaos giraffe comes through ultra clutch with his huge balls and saves the game!

Unbelievable.
This whole year has felt surreal.
Been twelve years since playoff hockey i guess i forgot how crazy it is.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I think the discrepancy in penalties called is being masked a bit by how well the Canucks PK performed. If we get calls like that against the Oilers fans will be losing their minds as the Oilers run away with it.

Sadly, I don't think being respectful is helping Tocchet with the refs at all. Teams like Vegas are flopping around and screaming "HEYYY!" at the refs from the bench and it gets them lots of calls. The Oilers are going to gaslight the refs all series and I'm giong to hate it.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
One thing I forgot for a moment is, Nashville's mascot smashed a car outside of the arena with Canucks logo and color painted.

To that, I'll add the only trash talk for the series: yeah, get SMASHED, Nashville.

infinitebook

Jan 13, 2024
Take off your pants.

Cole also got the rest of the shot with his glove on top of Silovs. I was thinking the same thing Miller was. Just start f***ing throwing people down. What difference does it make? Even push the net off.
A little known rule, but in last 2 minutes of game intentionally dislodging net is a penalty shot!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think the discrepancy in penalties called is being masked a bit by how well the Canucks PK performed. If we get calls like that against the Oilers fans will be losing their minds as the Oilers run away with it.

Sadly, I don't think being respectful is helping Tocchet with the refs at all. Teams like Vegas are flopping around and screaming "HEYYY!" at the refs from the bench and it gets them lots of calls. The Oilers are going to gaslight the refs all series and I'm giong to hate it.

That one only works if you happen to be a league darling, like Vegas.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
FB_IMG_1714863099092.jpg

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Beauvillier did nothing to stop Suter on the GWG. Maybe an inside job?

Also watch Miller in the last 15 seconds. Absolute chaos. He is all over Silovs, loses his stick and ends up literally bear hugging his man at the end.
before that sequence he hugged a predator before the seconds ticked down and then let go and started to hug silovs.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
That one only works if you happen to be a league darling, like Vegas.

I don't know. Predators worked the refs quite a bit more than the Canucks and it seems to have got them calls. The discrepsncy might have more to do with embellishments and campaigning for calls than a bias against Vancouver by the refs.

McDavid gets lots of calls by looking at the ref. I'd bet the Oilers are going to be slamming their sticks and crying st the refs and once again the Canucks will get about half the calls.

Reactions: Indiana

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't know. Predators worked the refs quite a bit more than the Canucks and it seems to have got them calls. The discrepsncy might have more to do with embellishments and campaigning for calls than a bias against Vancouver by the refs.

McDavid gets lots of calls by looking at the ref. I'd bet the Oilers are going to be slamming their sticks and crying st the refs and once again the Canucks will get about half the calls.

Maybe it’s the 2011 PTSD, but yeah, Vancouver has NEVER gotten the benefit of officiating from the NHL. Doesn’t matter who the opponent is. It just gets comically terrible if it’s a league darling like Boston or Chicago.

McDavid would probably make Edmonton the darling in this matchup, methinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad