GDT: WCQF Game 5 | Detroit @ Anaheim | 10:00 PM EST | FSD / NBCSN / TSN / PRIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Can Bertuzzi and Samuelsson switch spots now?

Bert makes more sense on that line if Babs isn't going to go all in and throw Mule with Hank and Pavel. And as I stated before...just reunite Sammy, Mule and Hank and then have Bert with Pavel and Flip. Cleary shouldn't be in the top 6...not exactly breaking news to anyone.

In general, I really liked Bert out there...he's already a more impactful guy on the ice than Cleary or even Samuelsson. Sammy is supposed to be a shooter and he still can't hit the net. Bert is at least capable of scoring of an ugly goal and he doesn't look like he's skating in cement. You need toughness around the net and mobility. He can stay on this team into next year if he can still prove to be presence when he's on the ice...Cleary and Sammy can go *something* *something*.

It's more of an issue to address in the offseason but no more Quincey and Smith together. That pair is a friggin' circus. Smith is skilled but he looks like he's got feet for hands when it comes to just the simple art of the first pass out of the zone.

Sameheda

Sep 28, 2011
Texas
Awesome GDT Flashy. My fave so far as I'm a huge GoT fan.

Ya know nuthin about Stanley Coops, Jon Snuuuuuuuu

RedWingsNow*

Bert makes more sense on that line if Babs isn't going to go all in and throw Mule with Hank and Pavel. And as I stated before...just reunite Sammy, Mule and Hank and then have Bert with Pavel and Flip. Cleary shouldn't be in the top 6...not exactly breaking news to anyone.

Problem is that Bert doesn't shoot, Pavel doesn't shoot and Flip doesn't shoot.

If you went Mule-Hank-Sammy (I worry about the speed/defense of this line), I'd go Bertuzzi-Pavel-Brunner

and then Nyquist-Andersson-Flip

Either way -- it's a good thing Abdelkader got suspended.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Problem is that Bert doesn't shoot, Pavel doesn't shoot and Flip doesn't shoot.

If you went Mule-Hank-Sammy (I worry about the speed/defense of this line), I'd go Bertuzzi-Pavel-Brunner

and then Nyquist-Andersson-Flip

Either way -- it's a good thing Abdelkader got suspended.

Not bad ideas...Brunner or Nyquist should be considered for "promotion" to a top 2 line if they need some added spark.

Bert is better from the circles in...not a rushing bull like he used to be. I think he can be the "big body presence" for a top line. Cleary just falls down all the time...he's a glorified checking winger.

RedWingsNow*

Not bad ideas...Brunner or Nyquist should be considered for "promotion" to a top 2 line if they need some added spark.

Bert is better from the circles in...not a rushing bull like he used to be. I think he can be the "big body presence" for a top line. Cleary just falls down all the time...he's a glorified checking winger.

Agreed. Bertuzzi. Cleary has no business in the top 6. I know he's made a couple of decent plays. But he costs more than he helps

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Basically, Cleary can only do things when its going on where happens to be stationed on the ice...ie--scrums along the boards or in front of the net. He's not very mobile anymore, he undersized as a net presence and he's not exactly a guy you can use a one-timer artist in space or set him up for tip plays as he streaks to the net. I think Bert is more capable of that at his advanced age though I'd rather have better options than him.

Sameheda

Sep 28, 2011
Texas

Out of curiosity, what difference does it make if Nose and Goose are on the 2nd or 3rd line? Ice time?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Basically, Cleary can only do things when its going on where happens to be stationed on the ice...ie--scrums along the boards or in front of the net. He's not very mobile anymore, he undersized as a net presence and he's not exactly a guy you can use a one-timer artist in space or set him up for tip plays as he streaks to the net. I think Bert is more capable of that at his advanced age though I'd rather have better options than him.

I agree, but I like Samuelsson on the 1st line. Samuelsson shoots, can skate, is responsible defensively and gets under the opponents skin. In an ideal world, he's on the 3rd line, but based on our situation he's a good choice there.

I agree with Cleary, it's unfortunate he can't skate anymore, he used to be so effective. The Nyquist - Andersson - Brunner line is too good to switch IMO, so leave them alone. I think putting Eaves on the 2nd line instead of Cleary is the only switch I'd make.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
I think putting Eaves on the 2nd line instead of Cleary is the only switch I'd make.

Rather than Bert? I don't think Eaves is skilled enough to take advantage of the ice time and players, where as Bert is more used to it.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Rather than Bert? I don't think Eaves is skilled enough to take advantage of the ice time and players, where as Bert is more used to it.

I don't think Bert can hold up and he takes too many stupid penalties at terrible times. Eaves can skate, actually shoots and is a right handed shot.

Bert is a 38 year old injury waiting to happen. 6-10 minutes of IT is where he'll be useful.

RedWingsNow*

I agree, but I like Samuelsson on the 1st line. Samuelsson shoots, can skate, is responsible defensively and gets under the opponents skin. In an ideal world, he's on the 3rd line, but based on our situation he's a good choice there.

I agree with Cleary, it's unfortunate he can't skate anymore, he used to be so effective. The Nyquist - Andersson - Brunner line is too good to switch IMO, so leave them alone. I think putting Eaves on the 2nd line instead of Cleary is the only switch I'd make.

I don't think that Sammy skates any better than Bertuzzi at this point. And therefore, his defensive ability isn't what it was.
At the end of the day, when it's crunch time, I'd prefer a guy like Bertuzzi, who can win where it matters most -- behind the net and in front of the net

RedWingsNow*

I don't think Bert can hold up and he takes too many stupid penalties at terrible times. Eaves can skate, actually shoots and is a right handed shot.

Bert is a 38 year old injury waiting to happen. 6-10 minutes of IT is where he'll be useful.

Who cares if he gets hurt?

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Really concerned about this game, as we have seen all season the Wings are not very good when traveling to and from the West Coast. These are not optimal conditions for us going to and from Anaheim within a short period of time.

I'm not surprised about no line up changes either, Samuelsson did a serviceable job last game. He moved the puck in somewhat difficult situations at times against Anaheim. Both the 1st and 2nd lines need to step it up if we are to win the game. Jimmy needs to play like he did last game.

I'm a little frustrated about Tootoo getting no playing time, as he usually delivers one quality offensive chance per game. Anybody else think it's ironic that he left Nashville for this reason and then gets the same treatment in Detroit?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 2 min
Babcock said Samuelsson will start on top line and then see how it goes. No lineup changes.

I'm pretty surprised Colaiacovo isn't in for Lashoff considering Babcock doesn't have last change. Hopefully the Wings can score some goals so we don't have to worry about it.

Shawn Lutz

Oct 15, 2011
Rockwall TX
Huge pivotal game 5 up for grabs. If we play like we did in game 4 but lessen the turnovers and establish the forecheck early we'll be fine. Keep being physical ans d not back down from anything....

This is the first game that I'm really nervous about this playoffs, almost feel like players butterflies or something.

Would love to see the Wings go up 3-2 and come back to the Joe for the elimination game 6 ;)

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
I'm pretty surprised Colaiacovo isn't in for Lashoff considering Babcock doesn't have last change. Hopefully the Wings can score some goals so we don't have to worry about it.

Babcock likes Lashoff out there as a physical defensemen who does a lot of the dirty work in his own zone (blocking shots, hard on the boards, hits, etc.). He's attempting to keep the balance in the D-corps by replacing DeKeyser with a defensemen similar to him.

I'm not a fan of the move either because the D scares me every time that Anaheim (or any other team for that matter) gets into our zone.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
was really hoping to see lashoff get scratched. not huge on sammy on the first line, but he's not too big a hindrance... lashoff is terrible and i would've loved to see us start cola in his place. obviously i want cleary demoted, but that's just beyond unrealistic at this point, so you can't really complain about that.

sucks that both of our lower defensive pairings are so incredibly scary each time they're on the ice, but without DD there's really nothing we can do about it. hopefully smith can at least gain some momentum offensively from last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad