WCQF Game 3: Anaheim Ducks (2) at San Jose Sharks (3) 10:30 PM ET | SN1, TVAS2, CNBC, NBCSCA, PRIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

gdt1.jpg

gdt2.jpg
gdt3.jpg
gdt4.jpg

gdt5.jpg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The difference between these two teams hasn't really been all that much. I wouldn't count this team out just yet but if the Sharks find a way to win this game, the series is likely over in a sweep or six games.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The difference between these two teams hasn't really been all that much. I wouldn't count this team out just yet but if the Sharks find a way to win this game, the series is likely over in a sweep or six games.

This series is showing exactly what I (and many other Duck fans) said before it started. If the team came out flat and not engaged we'd definitely lose. So the difference is that SJ's play is much more consistent. When the Ducks play their game consistently, the teams are pretty even. SJ just brings it more often. Props to them for doing so. I agree though, if Ducks lose tonight, it's over. It's nothing new for us to start a series shitty. We were awful against Calgary last year. Elliott just decided to help us out. We lost the first two against Edmonton as well. If we win tonight; there's still a chance. If not, it's over.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Hopefully, we make this a series. I don't want to join the Kings in the 0-3 club.

Don't really have a good feeling about it, though. Sharks have been the better team and if Bieksa is in, that's at least 1 goal against, probably 2.

Reactions: bukwas

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Win this and the series can turn any way, but if we lose this there is no way we pull a reverse sweep, especially against a team who is still feeling the sting from the last time it happened to them. Pretty much do or die for the Ducks tonight.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't be suprised if the shark blow out the ducks this game, but I hope it at least it is a close entertaining game.

I actually thought the ducks outplayed the Sharks by a decent margin game 2, but the Sharks were very opportunistic at the end of the 1st, beginning of the 2nd to grab that 3-1 lead. The ducks had so many chances at point blank range, but Jones and the defense really pulled trhough.

I also wonder if the Ducks' physical play will begin to take a toll. The Sharks have been recipient of a lot of big hits/physical play.

I am still amazed how deep the sharks are, their 3 lines all look dangerous. I thought one of the key advantages would be the henrique/kase/ritchie line, but they have been non-factors to negatives.

I wish the ducks would paid Lindholm with Montour and Beach with Manson so that the defensive pairings were a bit more balanced.

Having to play Beach top 4 minutes over Fowler is a big killer for us. Petterson/Bieksa of course is a train wreck waiting to happen. Can't wait to see how the Sharks expose them in Games 3/4.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I am still amazed how deep the sharks are, their 3 lines all look dangerous. I thought one of the key advantages would be the henrique/kase/ritchie line, but they have been non-factors to negatives.

A lot of us penciled in your third line beating our third line too but somehow Meier-Tierney-Labanc are dominating

Reactions: Getz2perry

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I wouldn't be suprised if the shark blow out the ducks this game, but I hope it at least it is a close entertaining game.

I actually thought the ducks outplayed the Sharks by a decent margin game 2, but the Sharks were very opportunistic at the end of the 1st, beginning of the 2nd to grab that 3-1 lead. The ducks had so many chances at point blank range, but Jones and the defense really pulled trhough.

I also wonder if the Ducks' physical play will begin to take a toll. The Sharks have been recipient of a lot of big hits/physical play.

I wish the ducks would paid Lindholm with Montour and Beach with Manson so that the defensive pairings were a bit more balanced.

Having to play Beach top 4 minutes over Fowler is a big killer for us. Petterson/Bieksa of course is a train wreck waiting to happen. Can't wait to see how the Sharks expose them in Games 3/4.

That Sharks line had 85 even strength points between the 3 of them in the regular season, and they're all young players - 2 of whom have been scratched or sent to the AHL at one point this season, and hadn't all found their game until later in the season.

All of them score at a borderline top-6 rate, but Meier and LaBanc drive possession at a borderline 1st line rate. Tierney, without Meier attached to him, tends to get caved in, but with Meier, his possession numbers are fine. LaBanc and Tierney excel on the PP and PK respectively as well. Timo Meier doesn't play a lot of special teams but he certainly helps them - he is top 10 in the NHL in penalties drawn.

They are a very strong 3rd line. I fully expected Timo Meier to be a guy that goes into a playoff series, has big expectations put on him in a big matchup, and dominates. What he is doing agains Anaheim is likely disappointing for Ducks fans, but he will probably be doing this to other team's 1st lines in the future.

In game 1, I thought he took over the flow of play with some big hits and strong high danger scoring chances.

Last edited:

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
At some point in the second period of Game 2 the Ducks buckled down and played hockey for about a period and a half and they looked pretty scary. Sustained zone pressure, smooth entry, winning puck battles. At some point in the 3rd I think Carlyle coached them out of that and they went back to playing like boneheads again. As a Sharks fan, I hope they continue to play Carlyle's system.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I figured Kesler was just shagging the dog to keep healthy for the real season. But if they can't win with Getzlaf Kesler down the middle against the Sharks with their D and goalie it really is over for Anaheim as a contender

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I figured Kesler was just shagging the dog to keep healthy for the real season. But if they can't win with Getzlaf Kesler down the middle against the Sharks with their D and goalie it really is over for Anaheim as a contender

Weird comment as Sharks have pretty solid defense and Martin Jones has phenomenal playoff numbers.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Weird comment as Sharks have pretty solid defense and Martin Jones has phenomenal playoff numbers.

Yeah in other words on paper the two teams match up pretty equal except at center which probably matters the most. Not looking that way right now though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At some point in the second period of Game 2 the Ducks buckled down and played hockey for about a period and a half and they looked pretty scary. Sustained zone pressure, smooth entry, winning puck battles. At some point in the 3rd I think Carlyle coached them out of that and they went back to playing like boneheads again. As a Sharks fan, I hope they continue to play Carlyle's system.
We do that occasionally but then

RC: HEY, what the hell was that? using skill/speed and carrying the puck... you continue that trend and youll be riding the bench... bieska get in there and show them how its done.
KB: Hi I'm kevin
RC: "YOU SEE THAT, dump and chase DUmp and chase dump and chase body contact"

But honestly our centers have been invisible all series... Henrique getz and kesler need to step up big time... and Ritchie and perry are good for basically nothing other than an ill timed penalty.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Another point is that, IMO, next year might look up for the Ducks, and that they'll be contenders for at least a year or two longer with the current core.
  • Kesler has been stated as not being 100% throughout the season, and that true recovery (if it happens) will take at least until the beginning of next season.
  • Fowler out this series definitely hurts. Hopefully future playoffs will have him healthy.
  • Both Bieksa (likely) and Beauchemin (for sure) will be off the Ducks next season. Lots of younger guys with better mobility and potential upside waiting in the wings (unless GMBM makes another bonehead signing for a "veteran" D).
  • Likely further chances for younger forwards to play and make an impact, including Troy Terry, Max Jones, Sam Steel, and a variety of others currently in our system. (Of course, no guarantees they'll be great, but they'll probably be better than some of our current roster including Kelly/Chimera/Vermette)
  • Possible reinsertion of a healthy Patrick Eaves, though, while not assured to be effective in a top 6 role coming back after such a devastating illness, may also give the offense a jolt.
Sharks have played very well though...very consistent overall, and I expected it to be tough.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah in other words on paper the two teams match up pretty equal except at center which probably matters the most. Not looking that way right now though.

How are they not equal at center? Even with Joe Thornton out, I would argue that they match up pretty evenly

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How are they not equal at center? Even with Joe Thornton out, I would argue that they match up pretty evenly
I actually think its a better matchup for the shark without thornton, thornton plays at a similar pace and getzlaf and that's a matchup getzlaf usually does well in... but hes average skating has been some what exposed in this series... he doesn't seem like he can win a puck battle at all. Maybe hes not 100% but he hasn't looked good at all in this series(goes for kesler/Henrique too)... our offense is basically Kase/Silf/Rakell/brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->