Pre-Game Talk: WCQF: Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blues (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Still not convinced the Hawks can win this series the way they are playing right now, but I am at least glad they're putting up a fight here. Let's at least take it to a Game 7. And as we know, anything can happen.

Elliott is starting to look human again. That should go a long way to alleviate the papable frustration of this team. Next thing you know guys start believing again and that normal hawks moxy comes back. It starts with PKane. He gets hot...Look out.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Elliott is starting to look human again. That should go a long way to alleviate the papable frustration of this team. Next thing you know guys start believing again and that normal hawks moxy comes back. It starts with PKane. He gets hot...Look out.

That is true. They don't seem to be playing with that Hawks "swagger" that they have. Of course, it's been so off and on all year anyway, maybe this team really just doesn't have that "switch." We will see soon, though. I am extremely disappointed in the leads we are blowing this series, though. Even if they don't play well, the Hawks have been fantastic the last two years of finishing off games when they had leads late in the game. It's very concerning right now.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
For all the talk about how great the Blues have played and how poorly the Hawks have played, the Hawks have blown THREE 3rd period leads with a total of 2 or 3 goals from their top 6 coming into last night. The fact that they've had leads entering the 3rd without the top guys producing is astonishing. Blues are a one trick pony. Elliott mean reverts back to his playoff career 88 save pct as he did last night and Tarasenko stops putting up a goal a game and this series can be had.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
For all the talk about how great the Blues have played and how poorly the Hawks have played, the Hawks have blown THREE 3rd period leads with a total of 2 or 3 goals from their top 6 coming into last night. The fact that they've had leads entering the 3rd without the top guys producing is astonishing. Blues are a one trick pony. Elliott mean reverts back to his playoff career 88 save pct as he did last night and Tarasenko stops putting up a goal a game and this series can be had.

We can make up for the Tarasenko impact by having Patrick Kane come alive and we'd be just fine. Or, for that matter, having Toews hit the net as well.

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
Toews is a 200 ft Center that can shut down other teams' lines, win faceoffs, and chip in a lot of offense at the same time.

It seems like we have to have this argument every year.

It's like Toews is a big part of the spear and Kane is the tip of the spear.

Without Toews and Co., it's just a toothpick.

Without Kane, it's a dull piece of wood.

Very Whitman-esque ;)

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I feel the same way. In last year's first round our wins were either in (multiple) OT or by a max. of two goals, whereas our losses were always blowouts (2-6, 2-5), yet I never felt like we were being severely out-played or out-matched. The scores didn't reflect my eye test-based assessment of the teams' strengths.

This series so far it's all one-goal games, yet I feel like we're being out-played pretty severely for the most part and we're hanging on thanks to Crawford and lots of luck. The Hawks didn't win yesterday's game, the Blues lost it. I don't think that's going to be the case on Saturday :(

Also I don't think Kane's 2OT GWG is a sign of him waking up, it's just that in 2OT both teams were tired and the Blues' defense gave him more space than in any of the previous games and he capitalized. My guess would be on Saturday the rested Blues defense is going to be back to stonewalling Kane and making him invisible.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but the last 40 minutes of yesterday's game give me little hope. Go Hawks!

Yeah but as I said later in that post we have to consider the fragile psyche of this Blues team. The pressure is squarely on them to finish it, we have our 3 cups and were considered done in this series. They have choked year after year. We somehow win game 6 and this team may gag again like they have these past years. Who would be the most confident team in a game 7? Probably the Hawks

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Nice of Kane to finally show up, Showtime indeed, probably most clutch player in the world. Would be welcome if Toews decided to do the same.

Our D is an absolute trainwreck though. Feels dangerous every shift and very dangerous when Hammer/Keith gets some seconds off.

Crawford is a beast, only reason his teammates aren't golfing right now. He will need to continue his beastly ways and we mighy shock everyone and pull through.

Either way, should be a fun game in the UC and I expect us to go all in and steamroll to a win. Game 7 on the other hand...Whatever, one game at a time.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Hossa will be great on the Kruger line for the next several years. I hope he stays there. Great two player and will put pressure on the opponents top scoring line. No matter how much he has fallen off scoring wise he will score points on that line against weaker defensive opponents.

All the hawks need is Kane and Toews to wake up. They were much better last night on the same line. Kruger - Ladd - Hossa can take care of the Tank line.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
You know, I do find it funny that the Blues had a 3-1 series lead going into last night's game, the Blackhawks win in OT and the Blues STILL have a 3-2 series lead... and yet, Blues fans are all melting down now. There's this sense of doom and gloom over there even though their team is still up in the series.

I can only hope the Hawks are in the actual Blues players' heads as much as they are in their fans' heads. Try as they might, it's hard for the Blues to NOT be thinking about how they let that one slip away.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
You know, I do find it funny that the Blues had a 3-1 series lead going into last night's game, the Blackhawks win in OT and the Blues STILL have a 3-2 series lead... and yet, Blues fans are all melting down now. There's this sense of doom and gloom over there even though their team is still up in the series.

I can only hope the Hawks are in the actual Blues players' heads as much as they are in their fans' heads. Try as they might, it's hard for the Blues to NOT be thinking about how they let that one slip away.

Just wait if we can win game 6. Their panic will be 10 times worse.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Just wait if we can win game 6. Their panic will be 10 times worse.

It will but if last night was an indicator of where the Hawks game is going we are in trouble. That was our worst game of the series outside of the 10 minutes in the 2nd.

I'm not just trying to get you back on me (oh, no, no)
'Cause I'm missing more than just your body (your body), oh
Is it too late now to say sorry?
Yeah, I know-oh-oh, that I let you down
Is it too late to say I'm sorry now?

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Just got home from St. Louis. Phenomenal game to be at. Really glad Kaner got the GWG to shut up the stupid ****s around me that were chanting no means no... when Kane wasn't even on the ice.

I've said it after the last couple games and I still think it's true right now... the better team has lost every game this series. Been quite the interesting series.

Lol, I had some pretty funny exchanges with Blues fans at Scottrade. The guy sitting next to me was cool but pretty much everyone else around me we're a bunch of dopes. I've never seen a fanbase so infatuated with the reffing as opposed to the actual game. It started literally a minute in when the puck was knocked down with a clear high stick and was whistled "THERES YOUR FIRST GIFT CALL CHICAGO". Literally every minute and a half there was apparently a missed call. There was one point where I believe it was Weise made a clean hit and then someone got up and yelled "That's intereference!" to which at that point I actually started laughing pretty hard only to get told "shut up you bandwagoner". Told the guy he had no clue what he was talking about and then he challenged me and said I bet you cant even name your last captain before Toews. Without hesitation I said Adrian Aucoin (looked it up later and forgot he shared with Lapointe), then asked him who their last captian was before Backes and he coudn't even muster up a guess. Diddn't hear anything from him the rest of the game :laugh:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Just got home from St. Louis. Phenomenal game to be at. Really glad Kaner got the GWG to shut up the stupid ****s around me that were chanting no means no... when Kane wasn't even on the ice.

I've said it after the last couple games and I still think it's true right now... the better team has lost every game this series. Been quite the interesting series.

Lol, I had some pretty funny exchanges with Blues fans at Scottrade. The guy sitting next to me was cool but pretty much everyone else around me we're a bunch of dopes. I've never seen a fanbase so infatuated with the reffing as opposed to the actual game. It started literally a minute in when the puck was knocked down with a clear high stick and was whistled "THERES YOUR FIRST GIFT CALL CHICAGO". Literally every minute and a half there was apparently a missed call. There was one point where I believe it was Weise made a clean hit and then someone got up and yelled "That's intereference!" to which at that point I actually started laughing pretty hard only to get told "shut up you bandwagoner". Told the guy he had no clue what he was talking about and then he challenged me and said I bet you cant even name your last captain before Toews. Without hesitation I said Adrian Aucoin (looked it up later and forgot he shared with Lapointe), then asked him who their last captian was before Backes and he coudn't even muster up a guess. Diddn't hear anything from him the rest of the game :laugh:

Nice one!

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
We played like crap for most of yesterdays game (2nd period and Kane beast mode not withstanding). Just looked gassed.

But game 4, we were easily the better team. When a team has more than double the amount of shots on goal, that team is obviously better.

So, while we were running on fumes for game 5. I don't expect us to play the same for game 6.

Plus Shaw is arguably the most energetic playoff guy in this league. I have a feeling he'll try to make amends for his outburst.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
We played like crap for most of yesterdays game (2nd period and Kane beast mode not withstanding). Just looked gassed.

But game 4, we were easily the better team. When a team has more than double the amount of shots on goal, that team is obviously better.

So, while we were running on fumes for game 5. I don't expect us to play the same for game 6.

Plus Shaw is arguably the most energetic playoff guy in this league. I have a feeling he'll try to make amends for his outburst.

I was talking about this postgame last night. You have to bet Shaw was watching that lethargic OT, wishing like hell that he could be out there to help and just praying that that isn't how his season is going to end. I bet he comes out of the gate flying in game 6.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Props to you for going to STL for an elimination game to deal with that. I went to Minny for the outdoor game but didn't care one bit about the result, so the heckling was fine. But IDK how you dealt with it for a playoff game. STL strikes me as having an obnoxious fan base, the games seem very rowdy. Blues fan made post on mainboards about how quiet the UC is and it's like yeah, we don't get up and scream for every hit Brandon ****ing Mashinter throws like you guys do for Steve Ott or scream MOOOOOOOOOOSE for every nothing save sieve ass Elliott makes. Or the Crawford chant every two minutes. Sit down, be quiet and watch the ****in game ffs.
/rant

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Props to you for going to STL for an elimination game to deal with that. I went to Minny for the outdoor game but didn't care one bit about the result, so the heckling was fine. But IDK how you dealt with it for a playoff game. STL strikes me as having an obnoxious fan base, the games seem very rowdy. Blues fan made post on mainboards about how quiet the UC is and it's like yeah, we don't get up and scream for every hit Brandon ****ing Mashinter throws like you guys do for Steve Ott or scream MOOOOOOOOOOSE for every nothing save sieve ass Elliott makes. Or the Crawford chant every two minutes. Sit down, be quiet and watch the ****in game ffs.
/rant

This was so annoying from their fanbase last night. They started it like 10 seconds in... when no shots had even been put on a goalie. Then kept doing it all throughout the game at random times. Had nothing to do with the play on the ice.

I could see doing it if they score a **** goal on him or something, but doing it randomly was just stupid. We could do nothing but laugh at them when watching it at my buddy's house... :laugh:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This was so annoying from their fanbase last night. They started it like 10 seconds in... when no shots had even been put on a goalie. Then kept doing it all throughout the game at random times. Had nothing to do with the play on the ice.

I could see doing it if they score a **** goal on him or something, but doing it randomly was just stupid. We could do nothing but laugh at them when watching it at my buddy's house... :laugh:

The other fan base that loves to do it is Minnesota. Only thing the two have in common with each other is they both drink from water fountains...because...no cups.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015

I'm a native St. Louisan, and I can attest to the fact that many Blues fans at Scottrade are true goofballs who'd be much more at home at a wrasslin' match or tractor pull than an NHL game. As much as they love Tarasenko, I guarantee you they love Reaves & Ott just as much, so long as they're "smashing Player X's head in", "kicking some a**" or "killing those mother *******". They're embarrassingly ignorant. I go to games to see quality hockey from both teams, not to listen to these drunken Deliverance wannabee's shriek & bellow for hours on end.

Last edited:

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich

I'm a little scared of that. Hope he doesn't get overeager and pull something stupid again.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a native St. Louisan, and I can attest to the fact that many Blues fans at Scottrade are true goofballs who'd be much more at home at a wrasslin' match or tractor pull than an NHL game. As much as they love Tarasenko, I guarantee you they love Reaves & Ott just as much, so long as they're "smashing Player X's head in", "kicking some a**" or "killing those mother *******". They're embarrassingly ignorant. I go to games to see quality hockey from both teams, not to listen to these drunken Deliverance wannabee's shriek & bellow for hours on end.

There are idiots everywhere and unfortunately they tend to be the loudest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad