Votes: 19 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

7dayBender

Jun 4, 2021
SW Minnesota
What a disappointing way to finish the season. I didn't get to start watching until the second period as we were cleaning up storm damage from yesterday(missed maybe 4 games all season, so that hurt a bit). First thing I noticed was the lack of desperation MN seemed to have. I have been a life long Nebraska fan so I tend to be a bit of an optimist about the level of which the current team is able of achieving, but I did not expect the Wild roll over like they did. This season felt different in that it very rarely FELT like they were out of the game(even if they were). Really just disappointed.

It will be an interesting offseason, unfortunately, but it was a fun year.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
If you don't want to keep those who actually care for this team, those who have a lot to bring in terms of experience/character/leadership, then you will never have success.
You can only have so many leaders in a room, eventually ego takes over no matter how “close” the group is. If none of the so called leaders have a resume to back up their claims is it worth following them?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Zuccarello is a pumpkin. For how much flak Fiala is getting right now for not having a good series, Zuccarello has made a career out of being a 60 point regular season player, and a 45 point postseason player. In fact, outside of his outlier season with Dallas, he's closer to a 40 point player in the playoffs. His play was anywhere from invisible to bad this series. His "leadership" was nowhere to be seen when it mattered.

Both Fiala and Zuccarello have been here for three postseason runs. Zuccarello has 1 goal and 8 points in 17 games, Fiala has 4 goals and 9 points in 17 games. If we're moving Fiala because of his playoffs, Zuccarello should be right behind him.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Zuccarello is a pumpkin. For how much flak Fiala is getting right now for not having a good series, Zuccarello has made a career out of being a 60 point regular season player, and a 45 point postseason player. In fact, outside of his outlier season with Dallas, he's closer to a 40 point player in the playoffs. His play was anywhere from invisible to bad this series. His "leadership" was nowhere to be seen when it mattered.

Both Fiala and Zuccarello have been here for three postseason runs. Zuccarello has 1 goal and 8 points in 17 games, Fiala has 4 goals and 9 points in 17 games. If we're moving Fiala because of his playoffs, Zuccarello should be right behind him.
I think Zucc should be traded along with Dumba. use their cap to resign Fiala if we cant get a haul and then go from there with roster construction. I would hope we can shoot for PLD this off season and if needed Greenway and Foligno can go to free up extra cap space and then merril and kulikov after those 2.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I think Fiala is getting more heat because he's the better, higher profile player, and was coming into the postseason healthy. That said, neither player has been very good for the Wild in the playoffs. There's a lot of places to put blame, this time around.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is no way we tiptoe around moving Zucc because it will make Kaprizov mad. I would buy that more if Zucc had played well in the playoffs, or we had made a playoff run, but at this point, after yet another not very hard fought one and done, who cares?
What have we got to lose? I'd just as soon trade for some draft picks and tank next year rather than be in this limbo. We aren't even close to being a contender.

Reactions: AKL

def1iance

May 17, 2021
Don't think there is just one big thing that led to elimination. It's combination of garbage special teams, average goaltending and to my surprise...there was just not enough urgency, desperation esp. in the last 3 games.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't think there is just one big thing that led to elimination. It's combination of garbage special teams, average goaltending and to my surprise...there was just not enough urgency, desperation esp. in the last 3 games.
Yup. Kind of sleepwalking. Like the team thought they just had to show up to win.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

This team was never going anywhere with one of the worst C groups in the league.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

I'm a Blues fan, so I understand the line I'm walking, but I'm also a hockey fan who has watched plenty of Wild games.

The Wild are built entirely around their wingers. That's part of the reason they take so many penalties AND part of the reason their special teams are weak. Look at the guys taking too many penalties on the Wild (wingers). Look at the forwards who are getting big minutes on the best PK and PP teams around the league. After a tight squad of top defensemen, centers are doing the heavy lifting league-wide. Not on Minnesota.

Fleury's even-strength save percentage in the playoffs was 92%. That's exactly what the Wild had as a team in the regular season. That's above average in the regular season and right down the middle in the playoffs. That's what you'd expect. The only reason his numbers looked bad is because of the PK.

Urgency/desperation don't matter as much as the lineup. And the reason for garbage special teams and lack of discipline is because of the lineup. Perhaps coaching is an issue, but, trust me, I watched the Blues turn in many consecutive "almost" seasons when David Backes was their best center. The Blues didn't go anywhere until they could send out O'Reilly, Schenn, Bozak, Sundqvist, Thomas, Barbashev at center and Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, and, finally, Parayko on defense.

There were some years in which Blues' playoff goaltending was actually good, but fans picked it apart because we were at a loss about why the rest of the team couldn't get the job done. The reality is that they just weren't good enough and didn't have depth where it mattered the most. We tend to default to talks about urgency, culture, goaltending, coaching, and officiating - because it's damn difficult to tackle the real biggest reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad