WCF Series Thread - Hawks vs Kings

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Kaner and Craw can't continue to carry this team, especially in game 7. With the exception of those two, along with Saad and Shaw, and possibly Kieth, the rest of the team is still "absent."

I thought Ben Smith had another great game. Goal, 3 blocked shots, 5-0 on faceoffs. Guy played his rear end off. Toews except for that penalty was solid. Kept the Kopitar line in check, drew a big penalty and we scored on the PP, set up Kane for that goal. Thought Sharp has his most active game in a long time. Except for a few players I thought most of the team played well. Can't put up points every game. To win a game of that magnitude on the road you can't do it with half the team "absent".

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I wonder if the league will look at that head shot to Crawford? Not sure who it was but it was dirty. If CC had hammed it up, they certainly would but good on him for playing the game with integrity.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I wonder if the league will look at that head shot to Crawford? Not sure who it was but it was dirty. If CC had hammed it up, they certainly would but good on him for playing the game with integrity.

Loved how the refs neglected to call a penalty on that

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
It's because q usually boat anchors kane early in series until he can't afford to any more

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I did not think Toes was that hood last night and he has not been in A form the last few games..You knows Toes is going when he is moving his legs at top speed not in "cruising" mode as per the last few games..he looked tired and was hit a lot by LA..When he has his legs going he us a force...otherwise either average or worse..Hopefully he can re-charge for one supreme effort in game 7..cause when he cruises line #1 does little as it has the last few games while our new line 2 has had the legs going.This alternation from early in series to switch over to line #2 impacting Kate is ok..but imagine if only we could get both top 2 lines going with speed in the same game..Both Toews and Hossa looked exhausted...you can see it in their not getting on puck first and not taking away pucks and not getting shots off. Short of a blood doing infusion I do not know if anything is left in the tank.If not it will be had to dock this ship only relying on line #2 for a third straight game..after normalcy the last few games we need more from line#1 too.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
In games 5-7 in his career Corey Crawford is 16-2 with a 1.73 goals-against average and .938 save percentage.

Not bad.....

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Well whatever happens tomorrow, someone's fairly impressive streak is getting broken. Either our undefeated in 5,6,7 streak or the Kings guys who are undefeated in game 7s (Williams carter and Richards??)

I know it's jumping the gun, but man I feel like this is the real SCF finals right here. Really can't imagine the level of competition and the quality of the game in the actual finals topping this series.

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014
Man, it's hard to believe if we win tomorrow night we're back in the Stanley Cup Finals. This series has been epic. Game 7 needs to get here already! Let's go Hawks!

InTOEWSweTrust

Free Morin
May 7, 2011
At some point reality has to set in, the hawks can't win a cup playing 2 1/2 lines.. Can they? Rangers might not be better than LA or Chi, but they do have some speed, and playing 9 forwards or less is eventually going to bite Q in the rear

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I did not think Toes was that hood last night and he has not been in A form the last few games..You knows Toes is going when he is moving his legs at top speed not in "cruising" mode as per the last few games..he looked tired and was hit a lot by LA..When he has his legs going he us a force...otherwise either average or worse..Hopefully he can re-charge for one supreme effort in game 7..cause when he cruises line #1 does little as it has the last few games while our new line 2 has had the legs going.This alternation from early in series to switch over to line #2 impacting Kate is ok..but imagine if only we could get both top 2 lines going with speed in the same game..Both Toews and Hossa looked exhausted...you can see it in their not getting on puck first and not taking away pucks and not getting shots off. Short of a blood doing infusion I do not know if anything is left in the tank.If not it will be had to dock this ship only relying on line #2 for a third straight game..after normalcy the last few games we need more from line#1 too.

I didn't see it that way at all, and if you're right we are in trouble. I saw Doughty as the most tired player out there and the entire King team looked sluggish later in the game. There is no reason that Toews, Hossa or Kane should be gassed at this point. Not if they're in shape. Sharp, Keith, Oduya, Kruger perhaps, but not those three.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
At some point reality has to set in, the hawks can't win a cup playing 2 1/2 lines.. Can they? Rangers might not be better than LA or Chi, but they do have some speed, and playing 9 forwards or less is eventually going to bite Q in the rear

This board the first half of every series in the playoffs this year has bashed the players Q iced on the bottom 1 1/2 lines (Bollig, Hanzdus, Rosi, Regin, Versteeg). Q again is questioned now that he is shortening the bench. It seems he has no good move other than adding 4th line rookie savior Jeremy Morin. Maybe this team just isn't as deep as everyone thinks and he has the potential to get burned either way? I mean, the Kings are rolling Kopitar, Carter, Stoll, Richards...

I'm sure some guys are tired. But if Bollig, Versteeg, or Zus touch the ice for 10 mins in the first game of the SCF I'm sure the Q haters will come rolling in.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

But that's not something he'd do in game 1, or 2, or 3 unless they get down 2-0. Just for desperation mode...

No23

May 16, 2013
And Saad looks to be making a leap. He's always been good and you could see some potential, but these past two games have been different. You can almost see him realizing what he can be and going out and becoming it.

Talent and potential are one thing, but finding the self confidence to put it all together is the final piece and a lot of guys never get to that point.

Was always meh about Saad and wouldn't have minded much if we had moved him for Kessler at the deadline. Now I'm really happy that we didn't.

These flashes from the past two games have me excited to see if he can maintain it.

It will be very interesting to see what direction they decide to go if they win another Cup.

You always need quality depth obviously but at the end of the day Hawks win because of their superstar players in Toews, Kane and Keith. So even if they decided to go for a proven 2C like Kessler they would still be a great team for at least 3-4 years and a Cup contender despite sending out some of the great young players.

Their superstars are that good.

Especially because guys like TT and Saad will eventually end up costing as much as Kessler. That's what the Blackhawks do great, find good young players that help them win cups while being pretty cheap and turn them into $4-5M players. And you can't keep them all especially if Kane and Toews get record deals which should be expected at this point.

But there is obviously another side of the coin here. Hossa and Sharp might start declining at a faster rate very soon and I expect Saad and TT to replace them since I view them as the only two guys with a top6 potential among the organization's young players(Saad already is a top6 quality winger).

So the point I'm trying to make is that the Hawks have that luxury of thinking about both approaches since they would most probably end up being equally successful. Although keeping your home grown players and watching them grow is a special thing for a fan and certainly less riskier than chasing star players with some serious mileage on them. That's why Bowman will probably stay away from guys like Kessler in a foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad