GDT: WCF Game #2 - Sharks @ Blues - 5:00pm PDT NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

polmaniac932

Mar 25, 2006
San Jose
www.youtube.com
The fact that Burns is able to slot in as a forward OR defenseman makes him the team's most valuable player, despite the fact that Thornton is our best. That allows us to be as efficient as possible in allocating team needs—even though it seems as if he's pretty much going to be stuck permanently on D (although I'm not against that based on how he's playing).

This game was like watching a Sharks playoff game from the opposing fans' standpoint. So THAT'S what it feels like on the other side all these other years...

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
The fact that Burns is able to slot in as a forward OR defenseman makes him the team's most valuable player, despite the fact that Thornton is our best. That allows us to be as efficient as possible in allocating team needs—even though it seems as if he's pretty much going to be stuck permanently on D (although I'm not against that based on how he's playing).

This game was like watching a Sharks playoff game from the opposing fans' standpoint. So THAT'S what it feels like on the other side all these other years...

EUXxEy1.gif

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Best game the Sharks have had this playoffs. Jones didn't face constant action, but was tested at very critical moments and was huge. This is exactly the type of game a player like Nabokov would fall out of.

Glad to see Wingels score; before the game I had singled him out for his playoff performance, and he somewhat redeemed himself. Zubrus had an absolutely superb game as well. Really, not many negatives to say about any one player. Hertl, Marleau, and Donskoi were "mehish", and Hertl especially hasn't looked so good (despite putting up points). Great to see Burns score again; the Blues have been aggressively looking for his shot, and it is only when their coverage slips he is able to score. Couture has been beasting it up since midway through the Kings series; good for him; he's been one of the Sharks's worst playoff performers so it is good to see him turning things around.

Vlasic looks like he is back to his normal self, and Braun has just been great. I'm not even going to fault Polak on a penalty that isn't typically called.

Elliott was superb; he is the scariest Blues player. Sharks only had one real ES goal tonight, and they are going to have to work on solving Elliott at even strength.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Whoa... just caught up on the Sharks game on DVR. That was good. :yo:

Boucher kept pointing out how awesome Jones was on his movement... on plays where he kinda just sat there and had the puck hit him. :biglaugh: (not that Jones didn't have a great game, just thought that was funny)

Burns on TV postgame interview w/ Boucher:

- [on PP goals] they both started with good plays on the walls w/ Cooch, and then Pav made a good play, and Patty made a good play, it was good for our PP to get one in the 2nd there, we felt we were doing good things in the first game but didn't capitalize, so it was good to get something tonight
- [adjustments?] we talked about certain things, what to expect in different areas, but the PP is just about execution a lot of times, not getting one the game before, we knew that was a big difference in the game, so we wanted to get one tonight

Jones on TV postgame interview w/ Boucher:

- [3rd period] we got in a bit of penalty trouble, but the PK was awesome tonight, we blocked a lot of shots and did a great job pressuring them up ice, obviously we don't wanna make a habit of taking that many penalties in the 3rd, but we did a good job
- [on forgetting about game 1 goals] I thought I actually played well, you give up the second goal and lose the game on that, obviously that's tough, you never like that, but for me I wasn't about to change anything or hit the panic button, I thought I played well, I've been feeling good about my game, so nothing changed for me
- [difference in team play vs. game 1?] not a whole lot to be honest, I thought we played really well again, we executed on a couple plays, we scored a couple power play goals, and the penalty kill bailed us out tonight

Wingels on TV postgame interview w/ Brodie:

- we did [feel good out there], when you can score on your first shift, it's very easy to roll after that, we've talked about as a line trying to be a difference maker, we may not have the most scoring chances every night, we may not create the most offense, but we can certainly impact the game as much as any other line, we did a great job getting a goal, I thought we were physical, we won battles, we forechecked hard, and that's gonna be a key to our line's success this series
- [on the zero on the scoreboard] our d-men did a good job blocking shots, when Jonesy needs to make a big save, he's been there all year, tonight was no different, 3, 4, 5 huge saves, the PK did a great jo bin the 3rd, going down 4 minutes there when a team's making a push is very difficult, and I think we did a great job not letting them set up in the zone, pressure up the ice, certainly frustrated them there
- [on Burns's one-timers] they're very fast, he's a guy who wants to shoot the puck, all 20,000 people in this building know he wants to shoot it, and when you have Joe Thornton who's maybe the best passer this game's ever seen, he's very dangerous, and Burnzie gets the shots through, it may get blocked but it's not gonna stop him, that's what special about him is he has that drive to score, that's found in special players and you can see how special a player Brent is, that's a huge asset for us and we're gonna need him to keep scoring going forward
- [on putting in the same effort and getting the result] we can talk with a bigger smile on our faces tonight, I think we did a lot of things better tonight, going on in the series we're gonna have to build on that and continue to improve, certainly our forecheck, our winning battles, our compete level in the offensive zone and sustaining pressure was very good tonight, but we expect a pushback from them, I'm sure they're not happy with how they played, they we're overly thrilled with their Game 1 and I'm sure they're not tonight, we've gotta regroup, we've gotta keep getting better as the series goes on, and I know this group well]

Thornton on TV postgame interview w/ Brodie:

- [on Burns's one-timer] he just unloads it so quick, his radius is so large, so his sweet shot - most guys are maybe 3 or 4 feet - his is probably 6 or 7 feet, but he just snaps it so hard and probably that one-timer is one of the best, I'd say he and Ovechkin have the two best one-timers in the league
- [on the 4th line] we need all 4 lines, we've been stressing how deep we are and you saw it tonight, we throw 4 lines at them, we don't think they can handle that, Zubie with the goal and the assist, they just kept going, kept attacking, kept wearing down their D, and it's a good line for us
- [on holding the 2-0 lead] the PK was huge, the double minor was huge, so we killed that off, and really we just got some confidence and played tight defensively, we feel comfortable playing in any building, when it's a tight game we seem to relax and focus even more, it's a good feeling to have

Ward on TV postgame interview w/ Brodie:

- yeah, we did [need this win], thought we had a pretty good game the first game, came up short, and I thought we bounced back pretty good tonight, got off to a good lead, and kept under pressure to finish it off
- [on special teams] yeah, the double minor was huge to kill off, guys wanted to put their foot down, come together as a group and as a PK unit to get the job done, power play stepped up again for us and things worked on
- [prefer the 4 or 0?] I think the 0 gives us a good shot of winning a lot of games, Jonesy's been a beast all year, it's good news for us, he's definitely been our MVP, hopefully he carries that all the way through
- [on Burns's one-timer] it's the reflection of the beard I think, fools the goalie... he just picks up pucks really well, even off the wall if you rim it to him, he has good torque on that blade, when he leans into it, he's a strong dude, it's a hard shot to pick up, it's a very good one-timer, he can even snap it off really quick

Couture on TV postgame interview w/ Brodie:

- it was a big win, it's a tough building to play in, they're a very good team, for me it's the first time in the Conference Finals being tied one a piece and going back home, we know the atmosphere is gonna be great at the SAP Center, we're looking forward to playing Game 3
- we had the confidence that we can beat this team, we realize that they're a very good team and they're here for a reason as well, but we play the way that we're capable of, we're confident in that room, and today we went out and did that
- [on the PP] it was good, we moved pucks and we shot it, and Burnzie, any time you can find him with a one-timer, he's usually gonna put it in the back of the net
- [on PP adjustments] better entries, get the puck to the net, what we looked at yesterday help
- [on Jones] he was great, PK was good, when we had breakdowns he was there to make saves
- [on going home with the split] we're happy but we're not satisfied, we have a long way to go in this series, it's gonna be a battle, but we're happy to go home 1-1 with a chance to hopefully win next game

Zubrus w/ Brodie:

- [on his line] we try to play in [their] end, we had good legs and were jumping, it was nice to score that goal early, gives us confidence and energy, not just our line but our [entire] team
- [on the team's effort] I think we played a little bit better this game, the 1st period in the 1st game both teams were feeling it out a bit, the 2nd period of the 1st game we played much better, that's how we want to play throughout the series, of course they're a great team so they're gonna create some chances, the power plays they have they're gonna get some good looks, our goalie was there to make big saves
- [on comfort w/ the 2-0 lead] we were comfortable, happy to have the lead but you know if you just sit there waiting for them to come, they're gonna create chances, so you wanna keep going, stay on top of it, go after them still, that 4-minute PK was a big moment in the game, like I said Jonesy was there and made some key saves, but you don't wanna sit on any lead to be honest with you because they're a very dangerous team, they have a lot of quick forwards that create things on the rush, and their D are capable of making great plays, so you gotta watch out for them

[will edit with more interviews if the Sharks postgame has any]

Last edited:

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I feel like Pavs can't keep being denied by Elliot and the posts, he will start cashing in on those chances.

Also I liked boosh using the word economical to describe the way jones plays, it seems to fit the bill nicely.

Improvise

Old School
Apr 1, 2007
Los Gatos, Ca
His positioning is excellent. You rarely ever see him make jaw dropping saves because he is always in good position. Although that kick save on the rebound in front of the net was highlight worthy. If he does have any weakness shots from the high slot have given him trouble two games in a row now. Tonight he was too far over and the puck hit the crossbar. Other than that he has played great.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
I think Jones is exactly the type of goalie the sharks have needed. He isn't super athletic and moving all over the place making phenomenal saves, but he is positionally and technically very good and lets in very few soft goals, which historically have plagued the sharks in the post-season. Those types of goals are demoralizing and difficult to come back from, especially for a mentally weak team (which I think the sharks have been in the past).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad