Series Talk: WCF Barracuda vs Griffins

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The team was really really good. But they overachieved in the regular season because of Grosenick and Grosenick was awful in the playoffs. And yeah, the Goldobin trade absolutely didn't help.

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
Win your home games and it's not an issue...

Exactly...and after 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 games of any series the distribution of games between the teams is exactly the same in 2-2-1-1-1 and 2-3-2 formats. It's only game 5 where it flips temporarily. If you have home ice and aren't good enough to win a road game or two, you're probably not going to advance. Regardless of format, the better team usually wins the series. In a series where size and strength seemed to matter more than speed and the refs let a lot of post-whistle nonsense go uncalled, anyone really questioning that Grand Rapids was better?

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
They lost 2 games by 4 goals and 2 games by 2.

So you think Goldy would have scored 12 points in those 4 games, eh?

k.

I said they'd probably still be playing if they had Goldobin on the team, not that they would have swept the Griffins. He likely would have helped change the outcome of one or two of those losses.

A bit of both. If SJ is serious about a Calder Cup, they will eventually need to bring in a new coaching staff. This team wasn't the 2016 Marlies though.

Criticizing the coaching staff in any way for this season is ridiculous. The Cuda finished with the 2nd best power play in the AHL, the 6th best penalty kill (including a ridiculous league-leading 14 shorthanded goals), were 2nd overall in goals for per game and 6th in goals against per game. The AHL doesn't keep overall shot statistics but they almost certainly had among the best shot differentials in the league too. The roster was very good but it's impossible to do that well across the board without a great coaching staff.

Last edited:

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
We need to remember how young this team is, youngest in the league if I'm not mistaken. A final four appearance should only be seen as a success. The returning players will have gained valuable experience and will be able to use it as a building block for next season.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I said they'd probably still be playing if they had Goldobin on the team, not that they would have swept the Griffins. He likely would have helped change the outcome of one or two of those losses.

That could have easily have happened. It annoys me when people just look at the math of a final score and say how many goals/points/whatever a player who didn't play would have needed to score to make it a win. It doesn't work that way.

Let's just look at game one...GR takes a 1-0 lead and then SJ goes on the PP. Maybe Goldobin scores on that PP, which changes the entire course of the game. Or maybe he scores on one of the two SJ PPs in the second. You could go further because if Goldobin was on the team and playing the lines would have been different. Who's to say his line wouldn't have scored more, or the other changed lines wouldn't have had more success.

I'll be honest with you and say I think the issue was the bubble burst on Grosenick and Goldobin probably wouldn't have been enough to overcome that. But he wouldn't have needed a dozen points to make a legitimate difference.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The team was really really good. But they overachieved in the regular season because of Grosenick and Grosenick was awful in the playoffs. And yeah, the Goldobin trade absolutely didn't help.

Agreed. I am not disappointed in the season overall, but I'm not happy with how it ended.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
That could have easily have happened. It annoys me when people just look at the math of a final score and say how many goals/points/whatever a player who didn't play would have needed to score to make it a win. It doesn't work that way.

Let's just look at game one...GR takes a 1-0 lead and then SJ goes on the PP. Maybe Goldobin scores on that PP, which changes the entire course of the game. Or maybe he scores on one of the two SJ PPs in the second. You could go further because if Goldobin was on the team and playing the lines would have been different. Who's to say his line wouldn't have scored more, or the other changed lines wouldn't have had more success.

I'll be honest with you and say I think the issue was the bubble burst on Grosenick and Goldobin probably wouldn't have been enough to overcome that. But he wouldn't have needed a dozen points to make a legitimate difference.

Exactly. Merely having Carpenter, Goldobin and Meier (or Labanc) all on separate lines would have made the team much more difficult to match up against and led to more offense. They wouldn't have won all four games they lost in this series but one or two isn't out of the question, then you're going home for two games up 3-2 or at least down 2-3.

But, agreed, Grosenick was definitely the biggest issue.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
:nod:

A great assessment of the Barracuda season.

I think the success in the AHL has a lot to do with the impact of their NHL club, drawing players during the season, and what can be sent down during the playoff season.

Not to take anything away from the Cudas, as the Sharks did hit them hard during the season moreso than usual. However, during the playoff season, Sharks first and exit would not have impacted the Cudas in this round.

I guess Dell could not have been sent down? Would have been nice to get him some playoff experience. A cup win would give him a good boost in confidence for next season.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I guess Dell could not have been sent down? Would have been nice to get him some playoff experience. A cup win would give him a good boost in confidence for next season.

He wasn't eligible for the AHL playoffs. Only players on AHL rosters at the NHL trade deadline are eligible to be sent down for the AHL playoffs.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

How would sitting on the bench for the AHL playoffs benefit Dell?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
havent seen anyone mention the injury issues, afaik injuries depleted their stellar depth. took out their dangerous depth lines which we all know are huge especially in the playoffs.

also one might say that losing to the farm team of one of the most tomorrow of tomorrow teams in the nhl is not surprising.

xMARCStheSPOT

Oct 22, 2006
Sunnyvale, CA
The injuries absolutely didn't help. Biggest one in my mind was losing Chartier in the San Diego series. Our depth down the middle went from incredible to just kind of average. Also it seemed to cause Buddy Robinson to lose the chemistry he had developed on that line he was on with Chartier and Meier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad