WC QROUND: May 8 GDT - Canada vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Redden has more to offer...I think he will be the backbone of this imminent rally! :jump:

Macman

May 15, 2004
Canada's whole tournament hinges on this next period. They'd better get it done or it's over.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
Canada's getting nothing but penalties when they initiate the physical play, and the Finns are getting all sorts of liberties from the refs. Nothing new for Canada, but some of the stuff from the Finns is pretty blatant and the refs just seem content to turn a blind eye. Nice to see the Canadians finally start beating the Finns to the puck at the end of this period, for a second there I'd thought this team had gone home. Surefire way to lose a game is to not shoot on the opposition's net.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Canada is just surfing around, hopefully they keep this surfing up at the third so we will finally get 2 points from a top team at this tournament. Couldn't do it against Sweden/USA.

They're goal was just a mistake by Hentunen. Canada really hadn't had the pressure at our zone. Saves Luongo 21, Bäckström 13.

Interesting 3rd.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
kolanos said:
Canada's getting nothing but penalties when they initiate the physical play, and the Finns are getting all sorts of liberties from the refs. Nothing new for Canada, but some of the stuff from the Finns is pretty blatant and the refs just seem content to turn a blind eye. Nice to see the Canadians finally start beating the Finns to the puck at the end of this period, for a second there I'd thought this team had gone home. Surefire way to lose a game is to not shoot on the opposition's net.

Liberties from the ref...how about a disallowed goal that was good?
Stop blaming the refs.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Canada will have a hard roal through the next round for sure,due to the Sweden loss...but someone is going to have to play the Swiss too. TSN is hashing up the non-goal...they are right it should have been a goal.
Canada needs to get closer together on the cycle...the Finns are winning the numbers game along the wall...but if we insert support we can generate some better play...and breadown the Finnish defence..which SHOULD be weal today without Timmonen

Captain Leaf

I dont believe they will done ..they would just have a tougher opponent in the elimination games , this si still setting the next rounds up ..i believe .

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Wingmanrob said:
So if Canada lose this game, it's buh bye Canada?
It's NOT a must-win game. Teams bring into this round points gained in the first round against teams that qualified for this round.

So, Canada can lose and still go to the quarterfinals, just with a tougher opponent there.

Captain Leaf

Maybe wed get those yankees again ..if they beat the Swedes ;)

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
Boucicaut said:
Liberties from the ref...how about a disallowed goal that was good?
Stop blaming the refs.
How about a crosscheck from behind on Rick Nash (without a call) and a whistle before the puck went in the net? Give me a break.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Anybody recall that incredible defensive play by Vannanen where he skated backward and checked a player (I think, Nash) wide by crotching and maintaining balance while sticking his backside out.

I'll be re-watching parts of this game again. There's been some interesting play, mostly bad for Canada.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
littleD said:
I think if they lose here and the US beats Sweden, they'd fall to 4th place in the group? But there is still another game to go in the Qualifying round.
Canada will rally..and at leat get a tie in this game. The Czechs are very strong,nobody really wants to play them...but at some point we KNEW we would have to!

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
kolanos said:
How about a crosscheck from behind on Rick Nash (without a call) and a whistle before the puck went in the net? Give me a break.

Seems like the TSN people thought it was good. Then again, what would they know, I am sure you are right here :sarcasm:

Captain Leaf

Boucicaut said:
Seems like the TSN people thought it was good. Then again, what would they know, I am sure you are right here :sarcasm:

WOW i thought ide never see a europeon defending TSN ..i mean arent they only pro-Canadian ????

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Captain Leaf said:
WOW i thought ide never see a europeon defending TSN ..i mean arent they only pro-Canadian ????

PM has been more subdued today. I didn't even have to mute the TV :)

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Lasse Kukkonen and Ossi Väänänen are matched vs Thorntons line and they hit everything that comes in their way. Me like a lot.

Captain Leaf

Great the Cement hands line is getting our only scoring chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad