WC QF: May 6 GDT - Canada vs. Finland (5-4 OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
SergeiK said:
Only if Team Finland get some decent goalie. Miikka Kiprusoff? Pasi Nurminen?

Hey don't discount Jussi, He played well in the NHL this year. But Kipper might be your best bet, he is on FIRE right now

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Joe Oilfan said:
Markkanen definitely would have given Canada a harder game.

Pfft! Markkanen has been ice cold in the games he has played between the pipes with Team Finland lately. I was torn when I though Finnish goalie situation. If Noronen would have playing in a good day then there should be no opposition but he has been quite moody. Therefore Norrena wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

This time Noronen was truly awful.

SChan*

I doubt the Americans can work their magic again against sweden. I don't think there will be an north american final.

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
Same problem as always, Finland is crappy at tight games and must win games. And as always, Finland does not have a goalie who makes the big saves. Why is it so hard to keep the lead!!?? Finland-Sweden 2002, bronce medal game, 3-0 to 3-5, 2001 WC final, Finland leads by 2 goals before third period. What happens? Czechs win at overtime. 2003 Finland-Sweden QF 5-1 to 5-6!! And now, Finland leads by, what happens? We dont have winning culture as for example, Canada, Czechs and Sweden.

EDIT: http://www.hfboards.com/faq.php?, circumventing the obscenity filter is not allowed /Predatore

Last edited by a moderator:

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Nice win by Canada but they need to bring their level up a few notches now that the semis are here.

Finland should have an excellent team at the World Cup. Koivu is playing better than I have ever seen right now and even though he didn't do much this year, Selanne is still dangerous and when he's playing with Koivu, he's a much different player. Best of all, Kipprusoff looks unbelievable right now...

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
SergeiK said:
Only if Team Finland get some decent goalie. Miikka Kiprusoff? Pasi Nurminen?

Kiprusoff, Nurminen and Lehtonen. I think that's the trio in the World Cup. I sincerely hope that Noronen won't be there since we have better options. At the World Championships tournament Lehtonen's and Kiprusoff season continues in North America and Nurminen was injured. Really bad luck in goalie department imo.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Koivu showed this year that he can mark the opposing team's best centre while still creating offence on his own...it would be great to see him matched up with the numbers ones from other teams. There aren't as many strict checking lines at the World Cup so we hopefully will get to see top forwards and d-men against each other regularly.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
George Bachul said:
I just wanted to give a big thanks to Jussi for providing a link to the internet feed. You are a gentleman and a scholar. :bow:

I can't take full credit for that since Predatore supplied the link in this thread first. I only decided to spread the joy since those Swedes are so damn lazy and slow.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Jussi said:
I can't take full credit for that since Predatore supplied the link in this thread first. I only decided to spread the joy since those Swedes are so damn lazy and slow.
Hey, don´t be so bitter! ;)

At least you won the Euro Hockey Tour.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
s7ark said:
Don't listen to Garfield, He trolls wherever he goes except for his beloved Flames board.

Finland has a great team and will be contenders for the World Cup for sure.

How is that considered trolling ?? The guy said that Slovakia is better than Canada. I respond by saying that Canada is better than Finland. How is one a troll and not the other ? I'm allowed to disagree with someone saying Slovakia is better than Canada. He never gave any points to back up his case so why should I ??

Finland IMO is not a contender for the World Cup. They are a team that can upset because they play a physical style and Kiprusoff should be able to steal a game or two. That said, they are nowhere near Canada when it comes to the World Cup.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
bla bla, no trolling in this thread so far, and there will be no either, and nor will there be any discussion about trolling, stay on topic people please.
(man, I sound like a dictator now :) :))

Congrats Canada btw.

Last edited:

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
Garfield said:
That said, they are nowhere near Canada when it comes to the World Cup.
Totally agreed, Finland IMO is not in top 6 when best hockey countries are ranked. Why didnt Finland get star players from NHL to this tournament? Because there isnt any star players! Something is really wrong with Finnish ice-hockey. IMO Finland cant even dream about winning World Cup, World Championship gold or Olympic Gold for at least 10 years.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I somewhat agree with you Jyssy. But you say "There isnt any star players". Was the situation that much better 5-10 years ago? IMO you guys have had two elite offensive players in Saku and Selänne, and the situation is pretty much the same now.. although Selänne's production has definitely decreased in the NHL.

If anything I'd say that the future looks rather bright for Finnish hockey, just have to be more patient. You are producing more quality prospects than ever and in 4-6 years the Finnish team could be much more competitive, and not only a team with superb hardworking players, but with some good offensive flair as well. You will be set in goal, you'll have that superb defenseman in Pitkänen and if even half of your prospects among forwards will develop as expected you'll have some serious talent up front as well.

In 5-7 years Finland's team should be superior to Sweden's (on the paper). While you have had some strong years since 1980, we have had some tough ones .. although talent wise there seems to be quite a few gifted ones born 1985-1988. But those will take time to develop while Ruutu, Lehtonen etc will be further in their development and better players.

Last edited:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Predatore said:
I somewhat agree with you Garfield. But you say "There isnt any star players". Was the situation that much better 5-10 years ago? IMO you guys have had two elite offensive players in Saku and Selänne, and the situation is pretty much the same now.. although Selänne's production has definitely decreased in the NHL.

If anything I'd say that the future looks rather bright for Finnish hockey, just have to be more patient. You are producing more quality prospects than ever and in 4-6 years the Finnish team could be much more competitive, and not only a team with superb hardworking players, but with some good offensive flair as well. You will be set in goal, you'll have that superb defenseman in Pitkänen and if even half of your prospects among forwards will develop as expected you'll have some serious talent up front as well.

In 5-7 years Finland's team should be superior to Sweden's (on the paper). While you have had some strong years since 1980, we have had some tough ones .. although talent wise there seems to be quite a few gifted ones born 1985-1988. But those will take time to develop while Ruutu, Lehtonen etc will be further in their development and better players.

I agree 100%. Finland's best players are not quite developed enough to win these tournaments. I defenitely see them as a contender in 4-5 years. Ruutu, Pitkanen, Lehtonen may well be the best in the world at their positions in the future.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Predatore said:
bla bla, no trolling in this thread so far, and there will be no either, and nor will there be any discussion about trolling, stay on topic people please.
(man, I sound like a dictator now :) :))

Congrats Canada btw.

My apologies Pred. I revoke my previous statement

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Jyssy said:
Totally agreed, Finland IMO is not in top 6 when best hockey countries are ranked. Why didnt Finland get star players from NHL to this tournament? Because there isnt any star players! Something is really wrong with Finnish ice-hockey. IMO Finland cant even dream about winning World Cup, World Championship gold or Olympic Gold for at least 10 years.

Jesus christ. Finland was dominating that game so how can you say that? We dont need star players it seems, we can still dominate the stars with our euro forwards and d-men. Only thing where finland lost today was in goal...Noronen let in two softies. In any other way, Finland was ABSOLUTELY dominant.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
Jesus christ. Finland was dominating that game so how can you say that? We dont need star players it seems, we can still dominate the stars with our euro forwards and d-men. Only thing where finland lost today was in goal...Noronen let in two softies. In any other way, Finland was ABSOLUTELY dominant.

No doubt the teams out there today are competetive. Finland could have easily won that game.

We are talking about the World Cup rosters. When Canada adds Sakic, Iginla, Bertuzzi (questionable), Thornton, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Marleau, Blake, Pronger, Brodeur, Foote, Peca etc..., Canada will not be dominated at all by the Finns. That's what we are saying. The Finns goaltending will be better but I still don't think they can medal at the World Cup unless Kiprusoff steals a couple games.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
ZeroTheHero said:
During the mid-late 90's he was one of the national teams most efficient scorers before gotten ignored and put into depth positions by Aravirta. Summanen brings him up again and once again he looks brilliant.

Who are you talking about?

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Garfield said:
No doubt the teams out there today are competetive. Finland could have easily won that game.

We are talking about the World Cup rosters. When Canada adds Sakic, Iginla, Bertuzzi (questionable), Thornton, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Marleau, Blake, Pronger, Brodeur, Foote, Peca etc..., Canada will not be dominated at all by the Finns. That's what we are saying. The Finns goaltending will be better but I still don't think they can medal at the World Cup unless Kiprusoff steals a couple games.

I was talking about today. And today we should have won. But thats hockey, especially in a tournament. Finland was the better team but Luongo beat Noronen.

You are talking about world cup, and making statements that Canada will not be dominated. Maybe not, maybe they will, that remains to be seen. I was talking about today, and today Canada was dominated. Anyone who saw the game knows that.

If you want to discuss about how great Canadian hockey is, I know exactly how deep it goes. I have lived in both countries and both have great hockey culture but Canada has 6 times more people. Yeah, I do know that Canada is the #1 hockey country in the world, but that has nothing to do with the game today. Where Finland was dominant, was robbed a powerplay goal, and lost eventually due bad goaltending.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
I was talking about today. And today we should have won. But thats hockey, especially in a tournament. Finland was the better team but Luongo beat Noronen.

You are talking about world cup, and making statements that Canada will not be dominated. Maybe not, maybe they will, that remains to be seen. I was talking about today, and today Canada was dominated. Anyone who saw the game knows that.

If you want to discuss about how great Canadian hockey is, I know exactly how deep it goes. I have lived in both countries and both have great hockey culture but Canada has 6 times more people. Yeah, I do know that Canada is the #1 hockey country in the world, but that has nothing to do with the game today. Where Finland was dominant, was robbed a powerplay goal, and lost eventually due bad goaltending.

Relax. You were the one saying "je*us chr*st guys" becuse everyone was saying that the Finns are not contenders for the World Cup. So WE were talking about the World Cup and YOU were talking about today. Talk about getting defensive.

Last edited:

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
ZeroTheHero said:
During the mid-late 90's he was one of the national teams most efficient scorers before gotten ignored and put into depth positions by Aravirta. Summanen brings him up again and once again he looks brilliant.

What are you talking about? Hentunen was allways one of the favorite players to Aravirta. Hentunen was so horrible later years but this tournament he was very good. I wouldn`t take Hentunen this tournament those what he was proven later years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln