WC: May 5 GDT - Canada vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Seems Canada always lucks out the victory...

opposing team always THIS close.. never gets the bounces :shakehead

If it wasnt for Brodeur!~
One line team!
Only won on the scoreboard!!
:biglaugh:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The two teams were evenly matched. I wouldn't say one team dominated at all. That's one of those games that if you played it again, the result could just as easily have gone the other way, if a guy makes a better shot, goalie makes a save, etc.

Modano looks like he's one of those guys that just hits the wall at the end of their career, instead of the slowly fade into obscurity type.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Full marks to Canada. The Nash line continues to play well and Brodeur is clutch. Not much else to say. As for Canada being a one line team, what about the U.S? Several offensive weapons (York, Legwand, Modano, Park etc) have done virtually nothing. These guys have to step up. I think this game also solidifed Conklin as the starter the rest of the way. Dipietro wasn't horrible, but two of the goals against were of the "weak" variety. We'll see how the U.S. fairs against Finland tomorrow.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PecaFan said:
The two teams were evenly matched. I wouldn't say one team dominated at all. That's one of those games that if you played it again, the result could just as easily have gone the other way, if a guy makes a better shot, goalie makes a save, etc.

Modano looks like he's one of those guys that just hits the wall at the end of their career, instead of the slowly fade into obscurity type.

I don't know if you can say Modano's finished after one bad NHL season. He hasn't lit the world championships on fire, but he was very good in the World Cup. Hopefully he can get his act together in the next round.

Macman

May 15, 2004
SectionX said:
The americans played better, but Canada won

I don't know what game you were watching. The U.S. certainly outplayed Canada in the first but not after that.

Nash is God. It's hard to believe he could still be playing in the OHL. He's the best young player in the world. Canada needs to get Heatley going. It's going to be hard to win this thing with one offensive line.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Macman said:
I don't know what game you were watching. The U.S. certainly outplayed Canada in the first but not after that.

Nash is God. It's hard to believe he could still be playing in the OHL. He's the best young player in the world. Canada needs to get Heatley going. It's going to be hard to win this thing with one offensive line.

The only thing dominant about this game was Martin Brodeur. He was the differance maker. The U.S. played well enough to win, but Canada has the best goaltender in the world, and it shows in the win column.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Hold on..
Canada wins so they can play... Sweden??

Finland please :cry:

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
The only thing dominant about this game was Martin Brodeur. He was the differance maker. The U.S. played well enough to win, but Canada has the best goaltender in the world, and it shows in the win column.
Actually,its more like Canada has the top PLAYERS in the world...USA fans taking solace in getting some chances...thats fair enough...but I'll will say it again..Canada is not the only team better than the USA in this tourney....CZE and Slovakia...possibly the Swedish team too.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
dem said:
Hold on..
Canada wins so they can play... Sweden??

Finland please :cry:
USA now has to play on back to back days...trust me Finland will give them a tough game tomorrow.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Full marks to Canada. The Nash line continues to play well and Brodeur is clutch. Not much else to say. As for Canada being a one line team, what about the U.S? Several offensive weapons (York, Legwand, Modano, Park etc) have done virtually nothing. These guys have to step up. I think this game also solidifed Conklin as the starter the rest of the way. Dipietro wasn't horrible, but two of the goals against were of the "weak" variety. We'll see how the U.S. fairs against Finland tomorrow.
Agreed....for sure Conky' gets the nod tomorrow...Dippy was a wildcard thrown into the fire today...and the results do not warrant him getting a start against the Finns.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
MissTeeks said:
Can some one tell me who the players of the game were? If this has already been asked, I apologize. Thanks very much!

The OFFICIAL Players of the game for each team, as I was watching on the mediazone.com feed were Brian Gionta for USA and Rick Nash for Canada

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Everest said:
Agreed....for sure Conky' gets the nod tomorrow...Dippy was a wildcard thrown into the fire today...

I disagree that DiPietro was a wildcard thrown into the fire.

The radio announcer pointed out that DiPietro got the nod because of his puckhandling(his ability to quickly move the puck out of his own end).

I will agree that his team struggling for goals,they needed him to step up and play better then he did.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
CREW99AW said:
I disagree that DiPietro was a wildcard thrown into the fire.

The radio announcer pointed out that DiPietro got the nod because of his puckhandling(his ability to quickly move the puck out of his own end).

I will agree that his team struggling for goals,they needed him to step up and play better then he did.
I thought Dippy would come up with a better effort today...now...suddenly USA has a familiar problem...weak goaltending...

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
shakes said:
Little men shouldn't play hockey then. He didn't raise his elbow or anything. The US player seemed like he was trying to get out of the way and took the check in the head.

I'm sure Gionta will be saying something similar when he he lands a vicious headbutt to the groin of the guy who clipped him in the head....

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
I wonder how Canada would look with young guns such as: Lecavalier, Richards, Spezza, St Louis, Bouwmeester....anyways

I wonder if the US have enough offense to get thourgh the gold medal game. They play with great intensity but aside of Parrish, Weight and Modano. The skill is not that apparent...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
jcpenny said:
I wonder how Canada would look with young guns such as: Lecavalier, Richards, Spezza, St Louis, Bouwmeester....anyways

I wonder if the US have enough offense to get thourgh the gold medal game. They play with great intensity but aside of Parrish, Weight and Modano. The skill is not that apparent...

The youth movement is on.

There are a few guys Team USA left off the roster who are conceivably better than many of the guys on the team, especially on defense. Even without the old guard, up front there's no Blake (inside reasons), Malone, Langenbrunner, Connelly (usually good internationally) or Gomez (pelvic injury).

Canada has an all-around good roster and that's also with the absence of lots of wonderful players. Their 3 goalies are EACH better than any other goalie in this tournament. They're simply superior to most any nation in this tournament in most aspects. I don't see anyone challenging them for the title.

I do however think this wasn't the last time the US and Canada have met in this tournament, and I'm sure any Canadian knows the US CAN beat Canada in a one game showdown.

And lets face it, who would want it any other way in this tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad