WC: May 5 GDT - Canada vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
CIsle said:
The youth movement is on.

There are a few guys Team USA left off the roster who are conceivably better than many of the guys on the team, especially on defense. Even without the old guard, up front there's no Blake (inside reasons), Malone, Langenbrunner, Connelly (usually good internationally) or Gomez (pelvic injury).

Canada has an all-around good roster and that's also with the absence of lots of wonderful players. Their 3 goalies are EACH better than any other goalie in this tournament. They're simply superior to most any nation in this tournament in most aspects. I don't see anyone challenging them for the title.

I do however think this wasn't the last time the US and Canada have met in this tournament, and I'm sure any Canadian knows the US CAN beat Canada in a one game showdown.

And lets face it, who would want it any other way in this tournament
Fans of Sweden/Finland/Russia, etc. :)

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
In my eyes its all Hannan and Redden for the defence, they are the top 2 no doubt.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Everest said:
I thought Dippy would come up with a better effort today...now...suddenly USA has a familiar problem...weak goaltending...

my comments are limited to czech 30 sec highlights:

Goal 1 - from the left circle w/ goal going far right corner = DP not expecting a shot on that side (despite that laser).

Goal 3 (breakaway) - surprised DP did not poke check - a trait of his.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
blitzkriegs said:

Goal 1 - from the left circle w/ goal going far right corner = DP not expecting a shot on that side (despite that laser).

Kid hasn't played all year. Can't say I'm really surprised.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
blitzkriegs said:

The Nash breakaway is a nightmarish thing for any goalie right now...off the right wing,left handed shot...I've said it before...thats lights out (on) for any goalie...Thornton and Nash beat Dippy low/underneath his pads...not real bad goals...just not goals that he could never stop...unlike the Nash breakaway...pokecheck is all you've got...other than maybe a "hasek-esque" Shoulder roll...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
TroyM said:
In my eyes its all Hannan and Redden for the defence, they are the top 2 no doubt.

Agreed. Boyle played very well today as well. Again Jovo was a nightmare and Regher, although improving, is still a half-step behind

But I was very impressed with Redden today, he was super slick out there. Always made the right move. Sens are a lucky team

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
I gave my predictions about top 3 teams and I said that Canada has now weakness, but now after I saw last night game I see things different.

I think Canada didn't have organized defence. They have the best offence players in this tournament, but their defence looked shaky time to time. Without Brodeur game would have ended like 3-2 even 3-3. Also I would like to see some better play by Heatley, he has alot of potential, but now he's just surfing around.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Dipietro did not play bad, the first goal was a perfectly placed rocket and the breakaway was ridiculous. Nash is money right now. The Thornton goal should have been stopped, but it wasn't the difference in the game. Shockingly Pierre McGuire really praised Dipietro's play. He usually rips him up and down.

And I disagree that Broduer was the difference. He was very solid, no doubt. But Luongo wins that game as well. Nash was the story on this day. He is a bonafide superstar. Not a star, a superstar.

The US came out very strong in the first, but after that Canada took over and outplayed the Americans. Canada is the better team. I really had my doubts before the tournament started but Nash and Thornton make Canada the favourite now. The Czechs and Swedes scare me though.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Le Golie said:
Canada is the better team. I really had my doubts before the tournament started but Nash and Thornton make Canada the favourite now. The Czechs and Swedes scare me though.

It's going to awfully tough to win this with one line. They have to get Heatley going. He's struggling. He missed a wide open net from five feet against the Americans.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Macman said:
It's going to awfully tough to win this with one line. They have to get Heatley going. He's struggling. He missed a wide open net from five feet against the Americans.

Yeah Canada will likely need more help the further they go, but Heatley created a lot against the US. He's still snakebitten, but he's coming around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad