WC: May 2 GDT - Italy vs. Latvia

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
ok, I feel sorry for Lavinsh. He had a bad day. ("you had a bad day..."). I hope he will handle the misfortune and get ready for the next game. He is not a scapegoat, nobody is. It had to happen some day.

Guenther Hell made this a true hell for Latvians. with little help of Canadian ref (Latvian curse on Ice)

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Do you know how many players from Latvian Championship Team Latvia has right now?
The answer is 3. One of them is 100% innocent 3d goalkeeper Raitums.
The other 2 are Galvins(half year in Czech this season) and Berzins(not the worst player on the squad).

So what tha absence of Latvian team in RSL has to do with fall of this team Latvia?
How can you say, that's because they lack competition if 20 of 23 players plays in RSL, SEL, AHL, DEL etc?

It absolutely does have everything to do with that. All the older players that carried team Latvija for the past what 15 years played TOGETHER since the age 5 or so, and were able to polish their skills agains top notch talent as a team (Dynamo Riga). That carried them and now when this generations is no longer capable due to aging, there's nothing out there. Yes there are marginally talented young players but no chemistry...No more Znarok's, Balderis', Zholtok's (may he rest in peace), Vitalin'sh, Ozolin'sh, Irbe and etc...

balboozer

Sep 27, 2004
Bolzano, Italia
If we look back in the past, Italy has always been an uncosy opponent to Latvia. Italy is a country which has no normal hockey, bet depends on their NHL immigrants. They always were a hybrid in the hockey. Not the first time they beat us. It also happened with soviet era players, when they lost to Italy. Pasta eaters should stick with footbal and Totti diving skills

:cry: :cry: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :handclap: :handclap:

at least we have good food, we are soccer world champions AND :teach: we won against latvia :D

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It absolutely does have everything to do with that. All the older players that carried team Latvija for the past what 15 years played TOGETHER since the age 5 or so, and were able to polish their skills agains top notch talent as a team (Dynamo Riga). That carried them and now when this generations is no longer capable due to aging, there's nothing out there. Yes there are marginally talented young players but no chemistry...No more Znarok's, Balderis', Zholtok's (may he rest in peace), Vitalin'sh, Ozolin'sh, Irbe and etc...

The statement about playing together(the basic club for NT) makes sense I agree. Though I think that's not the reason WHY this team lost to Italy. Somettimes upsets happens, look at Germany, or Belarus. Hockey died there? No, but still they got relegated for one time. Latvia had too many useless, tired vets in the roster, and young guys are just too unexperienced to carry the team on their backs.
I think Latvians will strike back in 2-3 years, when their youngsters(1985-89) will got some experience, and Latvia will be a tough opponent for big 7 once again.
Good luck to Latvia in Relegation round!))))))))))))

Ste'

May 21, 2004
Lenno -Lake Como-
I hope (but i don't believe :shakehead ) that's could help Italian hockey to have much more visibility and sponsors in order to improve. But, as always, tomorrow only 1 newspaper will talk about .... only football in Italy !!!!

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Thanks for support, but it was in vain

for me is much more fun if Latvija is playing against us, then Italy. The neighbore ex country mate just so much more spice to it. I don't even expect Russia to win this tournament (would be lovely), just watching good hockey on big rinks!

Transported Upstater

I apologize for what I wrote. I was mad, it was mostly towards my team, not Italians. All I can say is - your goalie rocks, and you probably deserve quarterfinals more than Latvia do. Congratulations!

:cry:

Thanks man. I like the Latvians, and I wish you the best of luck.

(I'm actually not Italian technically; I'm an American of mostly Italian heritage.)

Ste'

May 21, 2004
Lenno -Lake Como-
Goalkeepers (SVS%)

1 BACKLUND J SWE 3 2 120:00 66.67 23 1 22 95.65 0.50 1 0 1
2 HILLER J SUI 3 2 120:00 66.67 34 2 32 94.12 1.00 0 0 0
3 HELL G ITA 3 2 123:50 67.36 63 5 58 92.06 2.42 3 0 0

really unusual to see an Italian player in the first places.....except PIM I mean :)

Ste'

May 21, 2004
Lenno -Lake Como-
Ste' is correct - I'll bet that the number of people in all of Italy that know about this victory is less than 5000

Italy for sure doesn't offer good hockey, actually. For example, I live in Italy in the middle between Milano and Lugano (SUI), and I preffer to see an NLA match than an Italian one. I go to Milano only if there's no other matches in Lugano, Ambrì or Zug for example. Much to my regret for Italy, but I presume a lot of other people can understand this choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad