WC: May 2 GDT - Italy vs. Latvia

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
it's only natural. Daugavinsh, Darzinsh and few other youngsters were the engine of the team. too young to take the team on their shoulders. Blame Latvian Ice Hockey Federation

bye bye

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
What can they do? There's no competition, not like during SU when Dynamo could play against Moscow teams, Voskresensk, Chelyabinsk, Kiev, Minsk.... The only thing they can do is try join some more competative leagues (Swedish? Russian?)

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
If we look back in the past, Italy has always been an uncosy opponent to Latvia. Italy is a country which has no normal hockey, but depends on their NHL immigrants. They always were a hybrid in the hockey. Not the first time they beat us. It also happened with soviet era players, when they lost to Italy. Pasta eaters should stick with footbal and Totti diving skills

Last edited:

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
hey hey hey Italy has had hockey since long ago. :teach:
Latvians have no excuse to lose a game like this. None at all.
They need to find a new way to field a competing team.
If that means getting a team into a Russian league, so be it.

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia
Damn! :cry: Well, perhaps we needed a beating to get things straight. It is clear that the older ones did not contribute - team captain defenceman Lavins was a direct cause for the third Italian goal and indirectly contributed to the second. Dumb dumb play on that third goal. Veterans who were supposed to be the decisive force in this game - Semjonovs, Pantelejevs and Tambijevs did not do anything neither in this game, nor in the previous two. In fact, there is only one proper line and several individuals - all youngsters - who pretty much carried the team during these three games. Of particular note was Darzins (2 goals in this game and 3 in three games), a Nashville draft pick, born 1985, and Daugavins (a goal in this game, 2 in three games - very active in the offensive zone), an Ottawa draft pick, born 1988. So there is some future for the Latvian team, especially if you count in Sprukts and Karsums. Defence was pretty horrible in this game.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
What can they do? There's no competition, not like during SU when Dynamo could play against Moscow teams, Voskresensk, Chelyabinsk, Kiev, Minsk.... The only thing they can do is try join some more competative leagues (Swedish? Russian?)

Do you know how many players from Latvian Championship Team Latvia has right now?
The answer is 3. One of them is 100% innocent 3d goalkeeper Raitums.
The other 2 are Galvins(half year in Czech this season) and Berzins(not the worst player on the squad).

So what tha absence of Latvian team in RSL has to do with fall of this team Latvia?
How can you say, that's because they lack competition if 20 of 23 players plays in RSL, SEL, AHL, DEL etc?

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
It's not that bad. You have to take into consideration that:

a)Latvia actually won it in regulation time, but the ref blew the whistle on a lose puck that Darzins put in the net.

b)Four of their best players (Skrastins, Skudra, Redlihs and Ignatievs), all of whom have NHL experience (well Redlihs only got called up to the Devils, didn't play) are injured.

c) Naumovs simply blew the game for them. Otherwise they outplayed Italy throughout.

d) All but one of the teams goals so far was scored by the young guys. They must be doing something right.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Dudes, our NHL, AHL players never showed up. Some were busy, some injured. Who cares now. We basically rely on them too. Thank Allmight GOD we have Daugavinsh, Darzinsh, Redlihs, Berzinsh

Ste'

May 21, 2004
Lenno -Lake Como-
I don't believe it :towel:

svenuto.gif

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I hope Latvia will stay in elite, and next year, I say maybe the most popular statement on this board: STICK WITH YOUNG PLAYERS. I mean Darzins, Karsums,Daugavins, Bartulis, Sprukts, Galvins, Berzins, Daugavins, Kulda, Sauletis, Dzerins even Ivanans :) . Get rid of Tambiev, Nizhivyi, Semenov, Lavins, Panteleev.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
I just hope that with the addition of Sprukts for the relegation round games Latvia will defeat the Ukes and other minnows handedly. I really want to see them and their fans here in Canada next year. Someone has to teach Canadians how to cheer properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->