WC GOLD MEDAL GAME: MAY 9 GDT - CANADA vs. SWEDEN (5-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Swedish Bolt Fan said:
Exactly

And he is one of the longest tenurd coaches of Tre Kronor as well. so he have had ample chances to get it done.

As far as i know Only Arne Strömberg and Tommy Sandlin have coached in more championship games than Hardy. and BOTH of these have much better average final result.

And those before Sandlin took over in 1986 in the 80' "Ankan" Parmström o "Leffe vinka" Boork where brutal and rightfully didnt last very long

I think his average is pretty good, if you don't count the endlessly uninteresting and boring Euro Hockey Tour games. Winning medals in 4 WC's is still above average and Team Sweden is second in the IIHF team ranking the last few years. I guess you can prove everything with the right statistics..

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Jussi said:
So I guess you could almost say that Hardy Nilsson is Sweden's Hannu Aravirta? Get's his team into the medals, but never the gold.

His average score is not even medal

it went from 4th spot to 3.67 spot after this silver. clearly not good enough. And if you factor in how he almost got knocked out vs Finland in the QF last year being down 1-5 and you see even his 3.67 is inflated on the good side. Since that game vs Finland sweden should NEVER have won and yet another MEGA disaster on his trackrecord should have been there

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Riddarn said:
I think his average is pretty good, if you don't count the endlessly uninteresting and boring Euro Hockey Tour games. Winning medals in 4 WC's is still above average and Team Sweden is second in the IIHF team ranking the last few years. I guess you can prove everything with the right statistics..

Yup :)

I only count World Cup, Olympics and World Championship and

right now his trackrecord stands at

7-3-5-3-2-2

And lets not forget that last years Silver should normally have been a QF exit since it is not normal to come back being down 5-1.

How many 2nd chances do you need to give him??

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Swedish Bolt Fan said:
I only count World Cup, Olympics and World Championship and

right now his trackrecord stands at

7-3-5-3-2-2

Fair enough! Lets fire Hardy then :deadhorse :bonk:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
I dunno if this is said or not, I don't care... Nice goal by Nylander! :D
Anyway, nice come back from Team canada. Twice from being down by two goals. Gotta respect that. Although Lundqvist let at least the last one really easily.

Congrats Team Canada and thanks for winning Team Sweden. :bow:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Alfons said:
Think canada and sweden are favorites for world cup this year. Hopefully sweden will beat canada in the final = revenge

Sweden does not have a good enough goalie to be considered favourites or even second. USA, Czech, Russia are all ahead of Sweden. Even Finland because of the goalie advantage.

But yeah, Sweden has a good team naturally. The goalie question is just HUGE.

You better hope it's Swedens time this time, because the key players are growing old, and so far the future looks a bit dark...

Swedish Bolt Fan

Jul 16, 2002
win it again
Visit site
Leafer4Life said:
Hey, just thought I'd say congrats to all Sweden fans on winning the silver medal. :) Yes I'm being sincere here!

If it isnt gold it isnt worth anything. And personally it would be better if we had finished 8th or something so the Clown behind the bench could get fired NOW

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
KungFuPenguin said:
Congratulations Canada! The better team won this game for sure.

Swedes have a lot to learn from the North American teams and their 'never surrender' attitude. Swedes simply can't play with the lead. It seems as soon as they run into any kind of resistance, the very second they come under prolonged pressure by opposing forwards -- they buckle, they succumb, they simply vanish. These are Stanley Cup champions, Olympic gold medalists, the elite of the elite in the world, and yet at the slightest sign of increased effort from the opposition, they prostrate themselves like a bunch of 5-dollar hookers on pay day.

Disgraceful. They don't deserve a gold medal; Canada does.
Elite of the elite? Excuse me while I laugh. Its a c level tournament. Sorry, i just realized you called Jonas Hoglund, jeff Shantz and Rob Niedermayer the best players in the world. They truly are the elite of the elite :joker:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Thats what is incredible about Canada, we can send just about anybody and expect to win a championship while the other contries send about the same players every year. Sweden had 3 of their top four players in Lindstrom, Alfredsson and Forsberg who will all be on the world cup team while for us we'll probably have Heatley, Scott Nieds and luongo (but they are not Sackic, Iginla, Brodeur). However we know that scott Nieds will be our Top D-men. Our pool of talent is incredible. Imagine who could have make this team among guys not in the playoffs or guys out of the first round of the NHL playoffs

Pronger, Jeff Oneil ,Nash (injured), Joe Thornton (injured), Boynton (could have been there instead of Schultz or Mitchell), Lindros (injured), Dazé (should have been there),Jay Mckee, Steve sullivan (would have been awsome), Dan Hamuis, Jason Arnott among many others....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jcpenny said:
By the way, shame on Guerin, Modano, Tkachuk and Weight for not going. With at least two of these guys the probably would have beaten the Swedes.

It's all relative. I'm sure some big stars said no to Canada (and Russia etc) as well.

billabong55

Dec 8, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Congratulations to Canada on winning the Gold!!! It was an up and down game for a bit but they kept going and in the end it paid off. Congrats to the whole team, but especially Heatley and Luongo for having such a great tournament!!

Love the back to back!! :handclap:

Beakermania*

Greatest Hockey Nation in the World: Canada

Defending Men's and Women's Olympic Champs.
Defending Men's (2 time) Women's (8 time) World Champs.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :yo:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
loadie said:
Clean hit...All shoulder. Keep your head up, or pay. :D

Scotts hit was clean. Rob's hit was dirty. Ref could have sent Rob packing after that one. But 2+10 was ok too. Well reffed (even though Scott got a minor for a clean hit), which was a real rarity in these games.

KungFuPenguin

Sep 26, 2002
Visit site
Fish on The Sand said:
Elite of the elite? Excuse me while I laugh. Its a c level tournament. Sorry, i just realized you called Jonas Hoglund, jeff Shantz and Rob Niedermayer the best players in the world. They truly are the elite of the elite :joker:
Peter Forsberg. Nick Lidström. Daniel Alfredsson.

A 3-1 lead after more than half the game.

I rest my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad