U18: WC 2018 Division I, II, III

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
So 1B starts tomorrow, I'm quite excited. The schedule is bad pretty bad as far as Lithuania is concerned as we play Poland, which is essentially the game for the 2nd place, on the first day of the tournament.

Don't think anybody's stopping GB this year though, I expect Kirk to dominate and GB cruise to a promotion.

You mean, D2A ? :D

Yes, Kirk will be player to watch.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Even with Kirk GB will still make it difficult for themselves, Poland will be a tough game. We have been underachieving in this division for years. Outside of questionable goaltending this was looking like the deepest team we've had in years but there have been lots of changes to the original roster with injuries or players not reporting like Tyler Cooper and Louis Chabot.

Also Tony Hand coming in as coach, while the greatest player GB ever had, instills absolutely no confidence in anyone who is remotely aware of his coaching career. He was probably the worst men's national team coach of the modern era (except maybe Doug Christiansen) and he has an absolutely awful track record with coaching young players at club level so I don't know why anyone thought it would be a good idea to appoint him U18s coach. At least "2-line Tony" will give Kirk plenty of ice time for the scouts.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Lithuania wins against Poland 4-3!

Even though it was goaltending making the difference that's not really a surprise as our goalie is the guy who became starter of the U20 team just a few days after turning 17. Poland was still a slight favorite but most people, bookmakers especially, overrated them they too much (or underrated Lithuania, any way you look at it). This Polish team is nothing special while Lithuanians have some very nice pieces.

Anyway, eagerly awaiting to see how the GB actually looks now.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Estonia also could be made dangerous by their abroad based players. Curious how Savenkov will look like.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, Brits look really good. Not only on the scoresheet but on the ice as well.

Kirk looks like he tries to do too much constantly though.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is it jus me or has Kirk really looked just terrible this game? All he has done is stickhandle into people. Very disappointing so far, especially after U20 WC.

Buesa, on the other hand, has been great.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Is it jus me or has Kirk really looked just terrible this game? All he has done is stickhandle into people. Very disappointing so far, especially after U20 WC.

Buesa, on the other hand, has been great.
He looks tired. He also seems to be playing a much more defensive role at centre. Might just be a wobbly start, we know he's far better than this.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Buesa was excellent tonight. He should have had more game time in the EIHL this season - Braehead Clan's coach stopped playing him despite some excellent performances. That coach was sacked after the Clan's worst season ever.

Poor game from Kirk tonight - but if he arrives at the tournament our offense looks even better.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
even D1A starts today!
Slovenia going on a tournament without few very important players and thus making it's position even harder.
Kogovšek and Brun Rauh are busy playing EBYSL finals, while Primožič, Kolar, Podrekar are injured.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Germany is too good this year
Any streams?

qy148qc04p801.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kudla

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah considering Germans are without Bokk it's very impressive indeed. A bit of a dick move by Vaxjo to not let him play though.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Judging by today's game Latvia is finishing 4th. Nowhere near promotion.

Seconds after I write this Slovenia hits the post after horrendous turnover. Terrible.

If I were Latvian I probably wouldn't watch another game of this team due to health risks involved.

Good thing I'm Lithuanian and we won 7-0. So far so good.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Judging by today's game Latvia is finishing 4th. Nowhere near promotion.

Seconds after I write this Slovenia hits the post after horrendous turnover. Terrible.

If I were Latvian I probably wouldn't watch another game of this team due to health risks involved.

Good thing I'm Lithuanian and we won 7-0. So far so good.

Yep, this is the weakest team we have fielded in a few years, with rather questionable coaching. I wouldnt completley write us off yet - its hockey things can change quickly, but it looks terrible.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
If Germany beats Kazakhstan today, and that is a big if, I like our chances even without Bokk.
For the next couple of years Germany should have strong teams in this age group. Beyond that it is too early to tell.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Germany dominated the play in the 1st period. Kazakhstan was dangerous a couple of times on counterattacks and on their power play, but overall they should be happy they are only down by one at this point. I expect the Kazakhs to attack a little more the rest of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad