U18: WC 2018 Division I, II, III

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
After 2 periods Germany still has a 1-0 lead, and they are still clearly the better team, but towards the end of the 2nd period Kazakhstan was a little more aggessive and if they can keep this up, they could still turn this around.

As a German I am a little worried, that they haven't been able to score more than once so far, but it is a joy to watch guys like Moritz Seider and Tim Stützle play. I also really like Taro Jentzsch in this game.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Every time I watch that D1A stream, the way the main (middle) camera moves makes me think that it moves only because of the the wind.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Every time I watch that D1A stream, the way the main (middle) camera moves makes me think that it moves only because of the the wind.

Yeah, it was a bit weird, but I was actually impressed how well that automated system without camera operators worked. There are some instances where they just lose the puck, like on the last goal in Germany's game against Denmark yesterday, but for the most part it does a decent job following the play.
But that sort of shaking movement by that middle camera at times is a bit annoying.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The 3rd period was more even, but I still thought Germany controlled the play for the most part. At the end Kazakhstan didn't even get a chance to pull their goalie.
If they can keep this level of play, I don't think anyone is stopping Germany. Although I'd feel better if Latvia loses a point or two against Norway today.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Yeah, it was a bit weird, but I was actually impressed how well that automated system without camera operators worked. There are some instances where they just lose the puck, like on the last goal in Germany's game against Denmark yesterday, but for the most part it does a decent job following the play.
But that sort of shaking movement by that middle camera at times is a bit annoying.
Wow, I didn't know it was automated. I was imagining a person who just absolutely didnt care about what was going on and was all the time distracted with his snacks, phone calls, surfing instagram etc. :)

Reactions: Maverick41

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Denmark is not looking good. Losing against Slovenia puts them in a tough spot.
Makes me feel a little bit better about our performance yesterday, although maybe Denmark is simply that poor this year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Denmark seem to have a pretty usual level of talent on this team, it's just that they are playing poorly, evidently. Then again, shots were 36 - 16 in their favor so they were very unlucky as well today.

Honestly, Slovenian victory puts Norway under immense pressure rather than Denmark.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, no matter who gets promoted from 2A GB is obviously the best team. Only way Lithuania can win is if they are absolutely gassed after today's game and our goalie comes up big.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And yet the Brits allow 2 counter attacks and blow it. Spectacular.

Win against Korea would mean Lithuania only needs 1 point against GB to get a promotion. Koreans are no cakewalk either though.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And the boys have done it after a hard fought victory we win 2 - 1.

So regulation tie against GB would be enough for Lithuania to get promoted.

If Lithuania losses the winner will most likely be decided by goal difference. It would also mean that both Poland and Lithuania would not only try to win but to score as many as possible against Australia as well. That wouldn't be pretty to look at.

Last edited:

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
And the boys have done it after a hard fought victory we win 2 - 1.

So regulation tie against GB would be enough for Lithuania to get promoted.

If Lithuania losses the winner will most likely be decided by goal difference. It would also mean that both Poland and Lithuania would not only try to win but to score as many as possible against Australia as well. That wouldn't be pretty to look at.
I think if 3 teams are tied, it's only the goal difference in games between those teams. So it's LTU +1 (4-3), Pol +0 (8-8), GB -1 (4-5).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think if 3 teams are tied, it's only the goal difference in games between those teams. So it's LTU +1 (4-3), Pol +0 (8-8), GB -1 (4-5).
You are right.

If we lost by 1 it would still mean either Poland or GB gets promoted depending on how many goals will be scored in tomorrow's game. The craziest scenario would be if it's 2-1 (or 1-0, or 3-2) game and GB pulls the goalie because they need a goal allowing Lithuania to score an empty netter which wins the promotion for them.

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
You are right.

If we lost by 1 it would still mean either Poland or GB gets promoted depending on how many goals will be scored in tomorrow's game. The craziest scenario would be if it's 2-1 (or 1-0, or 3-2) game and GB pulls the goalie because they need a goal allowing Lithuania to score an empty netter which wins the promotion for them.

I highly doubt this happens, no GB team would take the gamble. They will concentrate on just getting the win in that game and then act oh so proud of their silver/bronze medal because they tried really hard and they're all mates and it doesn't matter that they've yet again failed to get out of this pool, #lionessroar and all that (oh wait that's the women's team hashtag, no doubt they'll have the same attitude when they bottle their final game against the Netherlands).

The England rugby team dropped the ball in similar fashion recently in the Six Nations, they needed to score 4 tries for a bonus point win against France to avoid being statistically eliminated before needing to do the same against Ireland in the final game. What did England do? They played a typical England safe conservative game, kicking penalties for the points instead of taking risks and going for tries, just concentrating on the win, and they lost the game anyway. You know if the New Zealand All Blacks had been in the same situation they would have gone for it, and probably pulled it off, that's what the best team in the world does, that's the attitude you need if you want to win it all.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So it looks like its between Germany and Latvia. Winner of this game pretty much seals the deal on promotion.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So it looks like its between Germany and Latvia. Winner of this game pretty much seals the deal on promotion.
Wishful thinking.

Latvia has played 2 weakest teams so far while Germany played 2 of the strongest. If Germans win, sure they are in pretty good position. If Latvians win, they are just half way there.

P.S. People who get motion sickness from LHF stream check out "Sporta Studija" channel which is way superior.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Wishful thinking.

Latvia has played 2 weakest teams so far while Germany played 2 of the strongest. If Germans win, sure they are in pretty good position. If Latvians win, they are just half way there.

P.S. People who get motion sickness from LHF stream check out "Sporta Studija" channel which is way superior.

How is denmark among the strongest? Got rekt by Germany 7:2 and lost to Slovenes.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How is denmark among the strongest? Got rekt by Germany 7:2 and lost to Slovenes.
They have solid names on the roster and loss against Slovenians was just unlucky as Denmark outshot Slovenians more than 2 times. They have rebounded with a solid win against Kazakhs today.

Latvians, meanwhile, have 3 wins but one against Slovenia was ugly as hell and today they are rather lucky. Sure I don't mean to say Latvians can't do it but not like any of remaining games are easy 3 points.

Fjodorovss is great though, 3-4 cm more and he would be an NHL player.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
No idea how we are winning this, but I won't complain. Can't remember the last time when our team has overperformed in a tournament but this feels weird.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Congratulations Latvia!
Honestly I didn't expect Latvia to be a contender this year. Now probably it's gonna be fun till the last game?

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Britain beats Lithuania 3-2, so in the event of a 3-way tie, Poland is promoted. If Lithuania and Poland tie, Lithuania is promoted. GBR's only hope is if Poland drops a point to Estonia.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I highly doubt this happens, no GB team would take the gamble. They will concentrate on just getting the win in that game and then act oh so proud of their silver/bronze medal because they tried really hard and they're all mates and it doesn't matter that they've yet again failed to get out of this pool, #lionessroar and all that (oh wait that's the women's team hashtag, no doubt they'll have the same attitude when they bottle their final game against the Netherlands).

Well you knew what you were talking about. I wouldn't even be mad if GB just won it 5-2 or whatnot. It's a good team. GB winning it for Poland is pretty disgusting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->