OT: Watcha reading?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I also read it 10 years ago did so after business school and knowing a bit more about accounting now. That said great book. In the same ilk I really liked the big short, great movie, better book, the greatest trade ever; same story as the big short but for some reason the big short omitted John Paulson who was the biggest player in the whole thing and made 4 billion dollars off it, and no one would listen, about the other Bernie (Madoff).

You might like The Fix, if you haven’t read it, which deals with one trader’s Libor manipulations at UBS and then Citi. It’s an interesting story: how an antisocial kid with Asperger’s syndrome went on to become one of the most feared traders — and the crux of the Libor scandal.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You might like The Fix, if you haven’t read it, which deals with one trader’s Libor manipulations at UBS and then Citi. It’s an interesting story: how an antisocial kid with Asperger’s syndrome went on to become one of the most feared traders — and the crux of the Libor scandal.

I would like that. Sounds like Michael Burry from the big short.

Nice to get the stuff I like rather than some of the fantasy stuff and some of the stuff for people much smarter and more patient than me.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I would like that. Sounds like Michael Burry from the big short.

Nice to get the stuff I like rather than some of the fantasy stuff and some of the stuff for people much smarter and more patient than me.

Happy to help. :)

There’s always the classic Too Big to Fail as well, but you really need to make the time to read that one, as it can be a bit overwhelming (though exceptionally written and researched).

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks, looks like not too many people read it going by the reviews total.

Yeah ... the trader is British and the scandal started in the Yen market, so the book probably didn’t get much of a US audience, and the Libor scandal wasn’t followed particularly closely outside wall street. So I guess it’s not too surprising.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I bought a book a few days ago called.. The Real Ogie !Based on the life story of Bill Goldie Goldthorpe and penned by Liam Maguire . The two were in town for a celebrity golf tournament the last few days and promoting the new book tour as well . Goldie was a legend back in the day in the Minor leagues and the WHA . His first pro stint came with Syracuse and I am sure there are some in here that watched him fight and play his way through many battles...and there were MANY !!! It is a great hockey book for us oldtimers who appreciated the old style of play and gamesmanship . Fight on the ice and off....and have a beer together after . Goldie was who the movie Slapshot was based on .

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah ... the trader is British and the scandal started in the Yen market, so the book probably didn’t get much of a US audience, and the Libor scandal wasn’t followed particularly closely outside wall street. So I guess it’s not too surprising.

How did you find it?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
In the middle of Book 6 of Wheel of Time and have found that supplementing it with the audio book going at 1.5x speed makes it much more tolerable.

Also, started getting back into manga and starting up 20th Century Boys.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Got Of Walking in Ice by Werner Herzog, The Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald, and The Alteration by Kingsley Amis recently. Been reading the Herzog book, and if you know anything about Herzog and you read the blurb, it's all as weird and oddly compelling as you'd think it would be

Reactions: TheDirtyH

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I finished Nada by Jean-Patrick Manchette yesterday. To me Manchette is arguably the best crime fiction writer I've ever read. His books are boiled down--there's almost nothing superfluous in them. Short and sweet. They are action packed and they are motivated by things political. He was definitely from the left.

Anyway in Nada--which was published in French originally in 1972--a gang of political misfits--anarchists and a former communist from the French resistance against the Nazis in WWII kidnap the American ambassador--grabbing him out of a higher end brothel in the middle of Paris and taking him out into the sticks to a country farmhouse. From there things go awry--well they go a bit awry at the scene of the crime too. They are found out and the unofficial police strategy is to kill everybody including the ambassador. No plan ever goes perfectly though and this doesn't either and Manchette was a master of chaos theory.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Just started Brian Green’s The Fabric of the Cosmos. I saw the documentary on Amazon and couldn’t help myself to the book. :nod:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Right now, I'm reading this post.

And so are you.
upload_2019-10-3_15-39-31.jpeg

Reactions: Machinehead

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Got J.A. Baker's The Peregrine today, probably going to end up reading it at work while I work through Sebald's The Rings of Saturn when I'm home. The mention of Flann O'Brien also makes me want to finally stop staring at At Swim, Two Birds on my desk and read that too

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Atomic Habits and The Wise Man's Fear.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I like Sebald too.
I’m not too far into it, but I like the rhythm of everything so far. I started it at work and then I ran into a 10-page paragraph and I knew this wasn’t going to be something I can pick up and read a few paragraphs and put it down until I had another few minutes of down time to pick it back up.

Also, The Rings of Saturn gets name-checked in the first paragraph of the introduction to The Peregrine

Reactions: eco's bones

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Just started a reread of the WoT in preparation for the upcoming TV series. So sad to have lost Jordan. For as off-track as he drifted in books 9-11, would've been so much better if he had finished the series himself. Sanderson's plot-driving style got us to the long-awaited end, but loses the immersive feel completely, IMO. :(

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
“The German Aces Speak” by Colin Heaton. He interviewed pilots like Krupinski, Galland, Rall, Hartmann before they passed and the book is a collection of anecdotes, stories and recollections from their service.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad