NCAA: Washington is the 2016 Pac-12 champion!

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
They lost 4 conference games by 7 points or less.

Man I hope you are right. Colorado (the state) is just a huge deficit of college football. We have people moving here from all over the damn USA and Saturdays are the day to show your pride from where you're from (i.e. Other states). CU and CSU football both are toilet programs. I'm really shocked at it and really disappointed that we moved so far away from the glory days of the 90's.

Anyways I've been so down on Colorado for so long that I won't be bought into it until I see actual results. Being an ASU fan though it's now going to be hard for me to root for CU. I'm more of a CSU guy. Hoping they get into the big 12.

Regardless though Colorado as a whole is a really depressing state to live in for college Saturday's.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
CSU is a solid program. The issue is grass roots football sucks in CO. Tough to recruit Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, California and Las Vegas when much more prominent programs do the same.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
USC will lose to at least two teams they should beat not counting games they probably lose to tough teams on their schedule. I'm sticking with Stanford.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
USC will lose to at least two teams they should beat not counting games they probably lose to tough teams on their schedule. I'm sticking with Stanford.

Yea looking at USC's schedule they have 2 games where they are the clear underdog: Alabama and @Stanford.

On top of that they have about 5 more toss-up games: @Utah, Oregon, @Washington, @UCLA, Notre Dame.

If they lost all 7 of those games I wouldn't be surprised. I expect them to come away with at least 2 wins out of those 7 games though. That still leaves them at a 7-5 regular season at best.

I'm just not high on Clay Helton either. I think USC is going to come to regret that hire.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't think so. I think Helton will be fine. The team is really young. Rock star coaching hires usually don't work.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
I don't think so. I think Helton will be fine. The team is really young. Rock star coaching hires usually don't work.

What I like about Helton is that he's surrounding himself with good assistants and actually letting them coach. Bringing Pendergast back was huge. And it seems like hiring his brother and Callaway for the O-line is going to pay off.

I'd be happy if we went 8-4 this year with our schedule.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
What I like about Helton is that he's surrounding himself with good assistants and actually letting them coach. Bringing Pendergast back was huge. And it seems like hiring his brother and Callaway for the O-line is going to pay off.

I'd be happy if we went 8-4 this year with our schedule.

It's crazy that USC could go 8-4 this season and legitimately have an argument as a top 10 team in the country. Of course they'd never actually be ranked that high but they'd probably be as good as any team ranked there.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

It's LA though. It just seems to work differently down there. Obviously Sark and Kiffin were complete busts but I think with both of those cases you have a very bizarre reason for why each didn't work.

Certainly Carroll wasn't a rockstar hire at the time, but he had that personality and embraced the Hollywood side of USC. I'd argue that was one of their biggest reasons for success both on and off the field.

Even Jim Mora at UCLA was a bit of a rockstar hire.

I could be wrong, but I think Helton was a bit of an impulse hire in the wake of the Sark debacle.

And on a national level I'd say the hirings of Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh have worked out pretty well for their respective schools. They're easily the 2 biggest 'rockstar' hires of the last 5 years.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Man I hope you are right. Colorado (the state) is just a huge deficit of college football. We have people moving here from all over the damn USA and Saturdays are the day to show your pride from where you're from (i.e. Other states). CU and CSU football both are toilet programs. I'm really shocked at it and really disappointed that we moved so far away from the glory days of the 90's.

Anyways I've been so down on Colorado for so long that I won't be bought into it until I see actual results. Being an ASU fan though it's now going to be hard for me to root for CU. I'm more of a CSU guy. Hoping they get into the big 12.

Regardless though Colorado as a whole is a really depressing state to live in for college Saturday's.

I have no idea how CU doesn't get more high end recruits up in Boulder.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I have no idea how CU doesn't get more high end recruits up in Boulder.

Because its football program isn't relevant. Try getting kids from Texas and Oklahoma to come to Boulder when they can stay home and play for better programs.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Because its football program isn't relevant. Try getting kids from Texas and Oklahoma to come to Boulder when they can stay home and play for better programs.

For the elite guys that definitely rings true. But you'd think they'd be able to pluck some talented guys out of California and Texas who maybe want to start right away or get more playing time than they would at a USC or Texas. I think Colorado will return to relevancy in the next 3-4 years.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
For the elite guys that definitely rings true. But you'd think they'd be able to pluck some talented guys out of California and Texas who maybe want to start right away or get more playing time than they would at a USC or Texas. I think Colorado will return to relevancy in the next 3-4 years.
You have to consider that there is basically zero support for the program in the community or on campus.

I lived in Denver for 20 years and only ever met one person that went to games. I went to the university for four years and nobody there could give a single **** what happens. Only time people would go would be when the California teams came so that they could support the visitor.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

The fact so many kids are set on staying home still boggles me...mind you I was the kid that decided that I was going to go to college thousands of miles away when I was about 6 years old :laugh:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
You have to consider that there is basically zero support for the program in the community or on campus.

I lived in Denver for 20 years and only ever met one person that went to games. I went to the university for four years and nobody there could give a single **** what happens. Only time people would go would be when the California teams came so that they could support the visitor.

Hey I went to go see the ASU-CU game. Was really excited to see ASU in Boulder. Lol.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
The fact so many kids are set on staying home still boggles me...mind you I was the kid that decided that I was going to go to college thousands of miles away when I was about 6 years old :laugh:

I'm always a bit surprised by that too. Although I suppose for many of these kids they've never really left home at all and the thought of moving across the country is a bit overwhelming. Not to mention that many of them also likely grew up always just assuming they'd play football for school 'x'.

The only schools that routinely draw a lot of kids from out of state are the academic schools (Notre Dame, Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, etc.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad