OT: Washington Commanders: 2022 Regular Season Thread -- Here We Go Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

My secret hope is Bezos buys the team and moves it to London. Then DC will get an expansion team. One expansion team in DC and a 2nd team in Europe. We can start over fresh.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You were saying.

It’s going to be a long off-season with the Howell Heads chirping about their savior.

Who exactly is Howell competing with? Jake Fromm? LOL. No one else on the roster yet, so obviously they will bring in someone (just don’t let it be Andy Dalton…..UGH…..and he’s very familiar with Zampese if they roll that way for OC. Is there a more uninspiring 2-some than Andy Dalton and Zampese????)

Reactions: Neil Racki

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Who exactly is Howell competing with? Jake Fromm? LOL. No one else on the roster yet, so obviously they will bring in someone (just don’t let it be Andy Dalton…..UGH…..and he’s very familiar with Zampese if they roll that way for OC. Is there a more uninspiring 2-some than Andy Dalton and Zampese????)
Wentz is under contract.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Wentz is under contract.

Yeah but no. That’s silly. We all know that they aren’t picking up a 27m or whatever contract for a player that isn’t securely penciled in as the starter.

Come on, man.

And re: Young and Rivera and the “decision”. Rivera is as lame duck as they come. He wants to have a good/great year next season, anything after that isn’t really on the radar (deal with THAT when he comes to it).

So I’d be surprised if the Rivera regime picked up yr 5 for Young.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You were saying.

It’s going to be a long off-season with the Howell Heads chirping about their savior.

I’m not saying Howell is the savior but the fact that they have a young QB with a terrific college pedigree and all of the necessary physical attributes to make him a good NFL starter is something they should embrace and something fans are allowed to be excited about. I am so tired of the Alex Smiths and Carson Wentzs and Case Keenums and Ryan Fitzpatricks.

The evidence is overwhelming that your best chance for success is to draft a QB and build around him and take advantage of the economics of having a QB on a rookie contract. Even if Howell isn’t the guy at least they’re following that model and they should draft a QB high pretty much every year until they find one.

Reactions: max21

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’m not saying Howell is the savior but the fact that they have a young QB with a terrific college pedigree and all of the necessary physical attributes to make him a good NFL starter is something they should embrace and something fans are allowed to be excited about. I am so tired of the Alex Smiths and Carson Wentzs and Case Keenums and Ryan Fitzpatricks.

The evidence is overwhelming that your best chance for success is to draft a QB and build around him and take advantage of the economics of having a QB on a rookie contract. Even if Howell isn’t the guy at least they’re following that model and they should draft a QB high pretty much every year until they find one.

While true about journeyman QBs for the most part (there are exceptions) I think it's a cause and effect fallacy to believe that going with a homegrown guy is the most important thing.

I know that's not 100% what you said and you prefaced it wrt Howell specifically, but in general the success of QBs with the teams that drafted them is likely more a function of the general tendency of teams to hold on to elite QBs they pick up in the draft, often as high draft picks in a rebuild situation.

For most teams, landing a QB like that is a catalyst for internal and external pressure to build around your new franchise guy.

So the obvious questions are:

Is SH the guy?
Do they roll with whoever and tank for the next QB1?
Do they hope to land a Peyton Manning type who has a few more elite years left?
Do they go the Brad Johnson or Joe Flacco route and build a defensive juggernaut around some JAG QB?

I think they should run SH out there next season regardless of how he does in the preseason, and give him a long, long leash. If that turns into a tank, fine. If it turns into something better, that's a bonus. Only break glass for TH in case of emergency.

Then draft another QB the following year. This offseason I wouldn't draft a QB unless an incredible steal falls to them (if by some miracle Richardson drops). They should be focusing almost entirely on the OL, LB, and the secondary in the draft, imo.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
While true about journeyman QBs for the most part (there are exceptions) I think it's a cause and effect fallacy to believe that going with a homegrown guy is the most important thing.

I know that's not 100% what you said and you prefaced it wrt Howell specifically, but in general the success of QBs with the teams that drafted them is likely more a function of the general tendency of teams to hold on to elite QBs they pick up in the draft, often as high draft picks in a rebuild situation.

For most teams, landing a QB like that is a catalyst for internal and external pressure to build around your new franchise guy.

Is SH the guy?
Do they go the Brad Johnson or Joe Flacco route and build a defensive juggernaut around some JAG QB?

I think they should run SH out there next season regardless of how he does in the preseason, and give him a long, long leash. If that turns into a tank, fine. If it turns into something better, that's a bonus. Only break glass for TH in case of emergency.

Then draft another QB the following year. This offseason I wouldn't draft a QB unless an incredible steal falls to them (if by some miracle Richardson drops). They should be focusing almost entirely on the OL, LB, and the secondary in the draft, imo.
There are some good QB’s who should go on day 3. I’d take one. Duggan, Haener, McKee, Thompson-Robinson, Cunningham, etc etc.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Is SH the guy?

I mentioned this before but 11 of the 14 teams that qualified for the playoffs had a QB they drafted. The rest were free agents (Brady, Cousins, Geno Smith). All of the final four teams drafted their QB (1st overall, 10th overall, 2nd round pick, 7th round pick).

I don’t think it’s overstated how important it is to draft your own guy and be able to build around him for four or five years while he’s on that cheap deal. If you continue to pay mediocre guys $20-30M/year there’s a big opportunity cost there in terms of building out the rest of the roster.

As to your questions, I agree with your conclusion and think they should go with Howell (as I’ve already stated). There’s no Brady/Manning/Brees level free agent. The free agent list is dumpster diving of the highest order with Teddy B likely being the best available option. Take the money saved from dumpster diving and add depth to the OL or back seven in the secondary.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

compelling shit.

He (Rivera) needs to win. He’s going to go full bore to do so. They won’t go huge contracts (tag for Payne, smaller for Holcomb, similar for Heineke), pass on Young’s 5th option, if I were to guess.

Sign Bienemy for 2.5m a year. Peanuts for the overall payroll, but huge for Rivera’s chances.

The draft could really break for the Skins. Thee are a lot of great players that fit their need at 16 (QB?, CB, OT, LB, TE) and at 47. Hell, I saw a mock getting us Duggan in the 4th.

Whiz Bang!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

compelling shit.

Bombshell to hear it openly discussed, but we all talked that this would happen weeks ago…Rivera will be lucky to survive the change in ownership and only might because it could be too late to get the guy you want for the upcoming season.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

The Josh Kosman part is very interesting. Puts sale in perspective, only 2 bidders at this time. The guy that owns the 76ers/Devils and an unnamed bidder with Bezos waiting in the wings to make a bid. Snyder says 6 billion minimum for team but a lot of bidders dropped out due to minimum bid and the stadium situation. 2 bidders don’t have enough to pay 6 bil themselves, looking for minority partners. Bezos swooping in a real possibility but Snyder not selling is a real possibility.

Based on this interview my opinion is the only way the team gets sold is Bezos swoops in and offers a bid that exceeds the 6 bil asking price, by a lot. 8-9 billion.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bezos is the big dog in this and all he has to do is let the other bidders exhaust themselves before upping the ante, or wait for talks to collapse and lowball.

Snyder is of course going to say he might not sell in order to keep the other side leveraged.

Reactions: usiel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad