OT: Washington Commanders: 2022 Offseason - Part 3 - Commander Carson Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
It kinda' warms the heart to know that there's a team out there more QB-****ed than we are. I'm too lazy to do the research, but if they can't get relief for Watson and haven't been able to trade Mayfield, the amount of cap space taken up by the QB position while having Jacoby Freaking Brissett as their starter might be the all-time worst self-inflicted cap wound.

I'd be interested to know how the fan base really feels about it. The organization is a joke, but that's a real football town. It'd be funny to see a stadium that typically sells out sit empty because the ownership made a real creep the face of the team. It'll never happen, but it'd be fun to watch.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
There’s a reason there’s a no politics rule on this thread. The discussion here has been mainly cordial and it’s directly related to the organization so there’s been some leeway afforded but do not get personal with other posters and do not take this down a rabbit hole. We’ll be locking this topic up shortly.
And to answer some other people: there are only two of us so we can't be on here 24/7 to delete everything. If you have issues please use the report button.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think it’s been pretty well established that stadiums are a horrible use of public money. Most localities still pony up for them though because people like sports and “economic development”

But man, Dan Snyder is so hated and awful that no one wants to give him anything. Rightfully so. Just an endless series of distractions, missteps, errors, and sometimes actual crimes. Much easier to just stay away all together.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I think it’s been pretty well established that stadiums are a horrible use of public money. Most localities still pony up for them though because people like sports and “economic development”

But man, Dan Snyder is so hated and awful that no one wants to give him anything. Rightfully so. Just an endless series of distractions, missteps, errors, and sometimes actual crimes. Much easier to just stay away all together.
A domed stadium would be more valuable to the city but, yes, it’s tough to recoup the money spent. And then in 30’years the team will want a new one. Although I’ve heard in interviews that when it comes to DC if the city got the land and gave Danny a sweet lease he would foot the bill for the stadium. A long ways to go in the process regardless.

More news.

Reading this, the MD proposal sounds the best option. 400 mil from the state and the stadium would be a focal point of a huge redevelopment, with metro access.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
There is a brand new medical campus about a mile from FedEx and they're investing heavily in upgrading that area. If they rebuild the stadium there and the area around it continues to develop it could be a decent location...

... except for the whole traffic and no public transportation thing. If it goes there Danny needs to pony up and start a shuttle service to and from the Metro and he needs to pay Metro to stay open later on prime time game days.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
A domed stadium would be more valuable to the city but, yes, it’s tough to recoup the money spent. And then in 30’years the team will want a new one. Although I’ve heard in interviews that when it comes to DC if the city got the land and gave Danny a sweet lease he would foot the bill for the stadium. A long ways to go in the process regardless.

More news.

Reading this, the MD proposal sounds the best option. 400 mil from the state and the stadium would be a focal point of a huge redevelopment, with metro access.

Imho I think they just need to table things for a couple of years and see what happens after the fall out of this year are. When a coach, not even the head coach, can muddy the waters it is just not the time.

Sounds like they are still keeping the loudon quarris as an option which to me is the best site if VA will ever happen (not saying it will).

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He’s lucky he’s still employed to be honest. Regardless of whether you agree with what he said or think he’s an idiot there’s no denying he brought unwanted attention and embarrassment to a franchise trying desperately to move away from unwanted attention and embarrassment. Ron must not be happy that he and his players are answering questions daily about the tone deaf Twitter ramblings of his DC instead of talking about actual football stuff.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He’s lucky he’s still employed to be honest. Regardless of whether you agree with what he said or think he’s an idiot there’s no denying he brought unwanted attention and embarrassment to a franchise trying desperately to move away from unwanted attention and embarrassment. Ron must not be happy that he and his players are answering questions daily about the tone deaf Twitter ramblings of his DC instead of talking about actual football stuff.

I think this is a big shot across the bow for JDR and he could get the boot very quickly if he wrongfoots on anything else. Ron has shown he's quick on the trigger but he does it in steps....which he runs through like OJ Simpson in a Hertz commercial. Example: the way he pushed Haskins out the door.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

As if the hostile work environment/sexual harrassment, alleged book-cooking, and being shunned by every state/locality in the DMV weren't enough, having an assistant coach -- who's supposed to be "an adult in the room" -- weigh in with a controversial stance on one of the most hot-button topics in the history of the country is a massive self-inflicted wound for a franchise that is on razor-thin ice as it is.
One would hope that a coach (and a former head coach, at that) will be able to maintain the discipline to keep his public persona focused on his job -- the reason he has a public persona in the first place.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Well JDR said he just wanted to have a discussion. I sincerely hope someone associated with BLM - or someone that just has opposing views as to the summer protests after George Floyd and Jan 6 - tries to reach out and have that discussion.

No one is entitled to embarrass their employer and think their job is 100% safe. But just as a person with an opinion in this ultra divided country, I hope some kind of dialogue comes of this. And maybe that already happened with Ron and/or some players. I know it’s corny, but we’re never going to get anywhere by calling the other side dumb and trying to shame them at every turn.

There has to be a way to return to a time, where people with opposing views, as to policy matters in this country, could talk to each other and simply disagree in a civil manner. Probably wishful thinking, but I hope as a country we can collectively take a few steps back from the ledge.

(Stepping down off my soapbox)

Reactions: ynotcaps

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
As if the hostile work environment/sexual harrassment, alleged book-cooking, and being shunned by every state/locality in the DMV weren't enough, having an assistant coach -- who's supposed to be "an adult in the room" -- weigh in with a controversial stance on one of the most hot-button topics in the history of the country is a massive self-inflicted wound for a franchise that is on razor-thin ice as it is.
One would hope that a coach (and a former head coach, at that) will be able to maintain the discipline to keep his public persona focused on his job -- the reason he has a public persona in the first place.

This is the thing: he's been there. He knows what kind of shit he's stirring up with his comments on the name and the coup. Combined with a prior season coaching performance so bad it wouldn't surprise me to learn he was betting against the team (or paid to tank games), I can't help but wonder if he's trying to force them to fire him so he can get the hell out with severance or something.

Or maybe he's just hit that age where people of his generation have a tendency to just fully lose their minds and go insane.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Del Rios glib description of Jan 6 is almost as laughably partisan as Riveras glib description of the actually murderous mobs post Floyd.

f***ing clown organization.

• Haha
Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad